I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

Decker83

Commander
Glad to see your going with the tarp.. As far as the boy, you'll just have to make him work twice as hard after school..:eek:
JK !!!:D

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Glad to see your going with the tarp.. As far as the boy, you'll just have to make him work twice as hard after school..:eek:
JK !!!:D

Hahaha! Yeah, I suppose that I could put the boy to work after school. :biggrin-new:

As for the tarp... man, I just dunno anymore. We were busy with errands today, the weather didn't cooperate much and it's also my wedding anniversary so we didn't get much done.

However, we did go out and check the tarps. Blue tarps, white tarps, all my tarps are carp! :lol:

We also placed a number of the siding panels on the ground beneath the frame to act as a partial floor where we could stack stuff.

Then we reinstalled the uprights and affixed a couple of the legs to fence posts with ratchet straps. The frame isn't going anywhere! Which got me to thinking about using the metal as a roof again. I'm conflicted! LMAO! :laugh:

A couple of factors come into play. I'm unwilling to spend any more money on this shelter, including for new siding. And if I use tarps to cover the frame, or worse, part of the frame with the other part being metal, it'll look really "hillbilly" and I don't want that. Nor does my wife! :eek:

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

I'll make up my mind someday. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Not much happening here. We did go out and install the tarp side panels onto the shelter this morning and man are they ever bugly! Even after pressure washing. Blech. But it's a start anyway.

Today was another arbitrary "completion" date. Tomorrow the boy goes back to school and I'll not have a helper very much for awhile. We'd hoped to get the KF out of the garage and the shop thoroughly cleaned and organized by today.

Uhhh... "still under construction" would be the term now I guess! :lol:

When we came inside and got cleaned up for lunch, we lost all desire to go back outside into the blazing sun, heat and throttling humidity. So we're just chillin' now! :D

3.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 1

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Is that one of the Costco garages they had a few years ago? Mine died the first year I had it up, to much snow and it collapsed and crushed one of my boats!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Is that one of the Costco garages they had a few years ago? Mine died the first year I had it up, to much snow and it collapsed and crushed one of my boats!

Mehhhh... it's more like a wedding tent I think. The sides could be up or down, depending on need.

This is a pic from the sales website.
shelter3.jpg

This is mine a couple years ago with the sides down and the covered KF inside.
1.jpg

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Mehhhh... it's more like a wedding tent I think. The sides could be up or down, depending on need.

This is a pic from the sales website.

This is mine a couple years ago with the sides down and the covered KF inside.

Yup, that was the same one that Costco sold a few years ago.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Paint on the KF should be cured well by now, I'd get her out for some time in the sun.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Paint on the KF should be cured well by now, I'd get her out for some time in the sun.

Yep, that's the plan. Probably going to have to wait until the weekends though. The boy started back to school yesterday and my old buddy had surgery last week to move his pacemaker so now all he can do is sit around and make useful suggestions! :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Sold my old trolling motor yesterday to a young fella who is working on... a 1963 Starcraft tinny! I told him about the forums here and texted him a link. Maybe he'll join the Starmada.. ;)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
This morning I rolled the KF out into the sunshine for the first time after painting the black accent color 5 1/2 weeks ago. It didn't immediately melt so I guess it's doing okay! :D

I've been really busy with yard work, tree trimming and other stuff lately. Getting the KF out will allow more freedom for cleaning and reorganizing the garage... finally! :lol:

I already started some stuff to make more room; details on that a bit later. Trying to round up some help here for the heavy lifting. :rolleyes:

3.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 0

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a little heavier one then your's and have used it for 5 years now to keep the SS16 in.
When the snow gets deeper then about 4-5 inches, I have to pull the snow off or it will get damaged.
It has closed ends and one zippered door.
I got it used off c-list for $160.

There many others out there but here is where mine came from.
https://www.kingcanopy.com/about/

Attachments

• Tent 2.jpg
    Tent 2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Tent 1.jpg
    Tent 1.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The boy and I rolled the KF back into the garage this evening. The garage isn't fully cleaned or cleared yet but it's good enough. I want to keep the boat inside for awhile longer. ;)

Another pic of the KF in the great outdoors this afternoon.
4.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Totally agree that the KF needs to jump back up onto the trailer for more work! :nod:

Alas, not gonna happen anytime soon. I'm hoping to be able to take the old donor boat to the dump this coming weekend. And then I can talk with my young buddy about doing the welding for the KF trailer. But he is a very busy man. I texted him 2 days ago about doing some heavy lifting and he hasn't replied yet. Not unusual for him. Often times he'll just show up a couple days later and take care of my heavy work. Sometimes. :lol:

Once he has the KF trailer, he'll have to fit that welding work into his other load as well. Could be awhile. :cool:

I have other stuff going on right now too, some of it good, some not. But it's all keeping me pretty busy, including the routine stuff like cutting the grass. Again! :rolleyes:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
But on the plus side, this morning I did get started on constructing the storage boxes for under the seats. :D

I was sitting there looking at the 4" x 1.5" x 1/8" aluminum angle stock and wondering how long it would take for me to cut sections down to the right sizes for the boxes.

And decided to heck with it and went to my local aluminum supply shop and picked up some 1" x 1" x 1/16" stock. Eight feet for 5 bucks was fine by me!

Then I went home and got started.

The original large stock next to the new smaller stock.
2.jpg

I measured off 1" lengths of the 1x1 aluminum angle and cut the sections with my jigsaw.
5.jpg

Next the brackets plus the end sheet.
6.jpg

Everything including the rivets.
8.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I bought a little heavier one then your's and have used it for 5 years now to keep the SS16 in.
When the snow gets deeper then about 4-5 inches, I have to pull the snow off or it will get damaged.
It has closed ends and one zippered door.
I got it used off c-list for $160.

There many others out there but here is where mine came from.
https://www.kingcanopy.com/about/

Thanks for that info! :)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I worked a couple more hours this morning and made more 1" x 1" brackets and modified the old seat hinges. I really do like doing the aluminum work. The fun part of the project! :)

I cut the hinges to a standard size then put them into my vise and "gently" whanged on them with my rubber mallet to bend them to an "L" or offset type shape. :lol: Worked great! I did take pix of the whole process but have abridged it here.

This is how the hinges looked months ago before I removed them and cut them in half. Today I also cut them to a "standard" size as part of the mod.
4.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 0

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah I agree that working with AL is fun, I enjoyed building all the rear casting deck structure in my SS using the chop saw with a metal cutting blade makes for smooth short work on all the cuts.