1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Decker83 decker83 just like boats, sometimes you gotta take it in stride. I'll glad the heart issue was minor. Hoping similar news for the lung. Best wishes either way!!

Decker83

Commander
BWR1953 I hope it would be as simple as that.. (CPAP)

nrf414 24 It's amazing what we did when we were young and how much of a toll it takes when were in our golden years..

Again gentleman. thanks for the best wishes..

Decker83

Commander
Just a few pics of some of the thing I've done over the last few weeks.

Sealed all the rivets and leveled the joints in the floor.. 100_4025.JPG

Painted the bow area with semi gloss gray enamel with hardner.
100_4024.JPG

Made a new bow crossmember from two pieces 1/2" marine grade plywood. Used titebond 3 glue and stainless screws.
Sprayed some of the same gray enamel on it.
100_4023.JPG

Made a new piece of plywood for the bow. I copied someone else on using 1/4" plywood and gluing 3 pieces together to form the curve needed. 3 coats of sealer and going to paint it with the gray enamel.
100_4029.JPG

Filled all the holes on the gunnels with JB Weld and used backers. Primed with a DTM epoxy primer. This primer is made to spray direct to the bare aluminum with out the self etch primer.
100_4028.JPG
Order some carpet for the sides of the hull tonight. When I get it installed I will order the Nautolex..

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
looking good decker, and here is hoping good news for the admiral. what adhesive are you planning for the vinyl on deck?

ab59

Ensign
shure a good cleanup and restoration so far . Looks great . I'm looking forward to seeing the pieces of the puzzle come back together again .

Decker83

Commander
looking good decker, and here is hoping good news for the admiral. what adhesive are you planning for the vinyl on deck?

Thanks cowboy I'm not sure on the adhesive yet. I will use either the 3m spray that watermann used or the contact cement.
I may also try some test with other types of adhesive.

Decker83

Commander
shure a good cleanup and restoration so far . Looks great . I'm looking forward to seeing the pieces of the puzzle come back together again .

Welcome aboard ab59. Thanks for the kudos. I really need to get this project done this year..:deadhorse:

ab59

Ensign
I know the feelin , I been pokin along for just over a year on mine too ! Your restore was the real deal not like mine with just basic stuff .Hard to get re focused sometimes when your plans are derailed by life in general , but , with a little extra effort at getting started again it seems that the more I do the more I want to do and I'm sure it will be the same for you. Just keep pluggin and try to do something even if it's wrong ;), every day.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Havent been here in a while, apologies.....

Hope the Admiral is back in fighting shape, theres an SS splash in her future :becky:

keep up the great work

Decker83

Commander
Havent been here in a while, apologies.....

Hope the Admiral is back in fighting shape, theres an SS splash in her future :becky:

keep up the great work

No apologies necessary!!! Welcome anytime jbcurt00..
The Admiral is doing better.

Decker83

Commander
Well guys after all the Admirals dealings, I hyper extended my right elbow. Had a x ray done and no broken bones..
This is the first weekend I am able to work on the boat without major pain.
Order the carpet over a month ago and received it in a few days.
Made a paper pattern for the bow. It will allow you to cut both starboard and port sides with one pattern. Hope this helps someone in the future..
Here's some pics.
Click image for larger version  Name:	100_4032.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	10629450

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_4030.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	10629451

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_4031.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	10629452

Decker83

Commander
I ordered my nautolex flooring from Rochford supply co. They had the house brand glue to put it down with at a good price.
I lightly scuffed up the floor with 120 grit sandpaper and then vacuumed everything and wiped it all down with mineral spirts.
Let it dry out and laid out my vinyl. I put some cement blocks to hold it in place and pulled the vinyl back from the transom
about half way. I worked about a 2 foot section at a time till it was all glued down. Rolled it all out and went to the bow and
pulled it back until I reached the glue line and started again.
I used a 1/16x1/16x1/16 trowel for the glue. So far I used about 1/2 of a gallon. I went out tonight and pull on the vinyl and its holding very well..
Have some pics.
I still need to cut out the openings for the seat mounts. You can see them in the pics.
100_4034.JPG
100_4036.JPG100_4036.JPG

ab59

Ensign
good job , that Nautolex always looks nice and clean. Keep thinking I should have put some on my deck too.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
That looks great! I'm thinking about using Nautolex on my gunnels and dash. Any opinion(s) on how it would hold up for that application?

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
great job on that vinyl deck, and i am liking your idea of front to back instead of side to side for gluing down, and doing 2-3 ft sections as i believe that makes it a bit more manageable when alone. i am ready for my vinyl to get glued, just gotta trim some around edges and after seeing how you have done it, am planning the same method. glad i checked in and "get er done"

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Looking pretty TYTE dood. Your work looks top notch! Keep the updates coming...