1968 Starcraft Sprint V Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Not sure about wet sanding porous primer, never heard of that before?

Hull prep I strip paint, 220 sand hull, wash with cleaning vinegar, acetone if you suspect oil or grease. Painting I use the Chemical bond method with NO sanding. SE primer, hour later regular primer, after 1 hour base paint coat, within 2 hours top coat. All coats chemically bond as none are cured so in one long sticky day it's all done.

With the hardener, the VanSickle I use is the safest but just a time or 2 in your life spraying it. It most likely would be an issue if every work day of the week you're spraying it.

BigMikey86

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Watermann. I might have misread the step about wet sanding the primer. I would do a scotch brite pad rub down after the primer was dry to the touch to knock off and bugs or leaves off as I will be doing all this in my backyard, exposed to the elements. The rustoleum rep that I was talking to said that their V7400 series paint is a primer-less paint. Do you guys think I could get away with just the SE or ZC primer then proceed with my colour coats?.

Watermann

Yeah knocking off any nubbins is a practice I've heard before.

I don't see an issue with painting after a good coat of the SE primer.

BigMikey86

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It's a toss up for me because this paint is not cheap..it's about $120 a gallon and their primer is close to the same price. Decisions decisions!. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and see how she goes!. I'll be tackling it some more after the weekend due to work. I'll post more pics of the progress soon

BigMikey86

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So out of sheer luck I managed to get the rustoleum I was after. Went for a birthday dinner with friends and met someone who works at fastenal. Got a gallon of the primer and top coat for $100 compared to the $240 regular!. Goes to show you how much these paints are marked up, at least in the Canadian market.

The Rustoleum rep for Canada is adamant that I will not need a hardener and that in doing so she cannot guarantee a proper outcome. I've compared the technical data sheets between the American Rustoleum professional series alkyd enamel and the canadian V7400 alkyd enamel and the are almost identical. The only difference I noticed is the professional series has a VOC>450 rating and the V7400 has a VOC>340 rating. Judging from the other posts that I've read people say the Rustoleum professional with an added enamel hardener produces an amazing finish and cures almost overnight. Would I be safe to use this paint ratio?

2 Cups paint
1/4 cup acetone
1 oz. wet look acrylic enamel hardener

i managed to get most of the transom completed. I need a few odd screws and two more carriage bolts for the dog leg brace in the centre.

3F0F3BA3-D0DD-43B2-92D2-D3FA4396E200_zps9cysrgj0.jpg

C3D48AB7-7EF8-4843-A06C-0154CF07B539_zpsaxnag7ku.jpg

Last edited:

Watermann

I'm a big fan of catalyst hardener after using it on 2 paint jobs. I measure by ounces not cups so without looking it up or trying to remember the conversion I can't say if that's the right mix.

BigMikey86

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the input watermann. Not many paint shops want to share or feel comfortable sharing info about mixing catalysts with paints they're not familiar with. I guess the only way to do it properly will be to make a small test batch and go from there.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
1 cup equals 8 oz in liquid measure.

I am starting to see a lot more ML vessels these days as well, which of course is the metric version.

I have had all of my measuring vessels for a few years and they 1 cup, 2 cups 4 cups which is 8 oz, 16 oz and 32 oz marked at 1 oz intervals, we used to get some weird mixing formulas with auto paint which is what we used on RV's They also have ML markings on them in case I run into metric formulas.

BigMikey86

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm waiting for the weather to stabilize since were in for a good storm today and tomorrow. I'm going to practice the 16:2:1 ratio (paint/acetone/hardener) and see how that works out. I'm slighty concerned with having to use acetone as the thinner as I know it flashes fast and hot which may reduce the gloss but the rustoleum rep assured me to use acetone to thing and that the high gloss is quite impressive for a non automotive paint. I'm going to try three different batches. All going over a base of the recommended primer of course but for top coats, one will be unthinned paint (no hardener), one with paint thinned to 1/8, and one with paint thinned to 1/8 and some hardener added in.

BigMikey86

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ps do I clean with water/vinegar first or after the Acetone wipe down? Can I use just vinegar? Does that create a better etched surface?

Watermann

I used straight cleaning vinegar in a spray bottle, scrubbed and rinsed with water.

BigMikey86

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The weather in Toronto has been as stable as a horse standing on a night table. I've been sanding the hull but still have to do the "FLIP". I'll update the thread once more has been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.