First installment of MBS--1978 Holiday 14'

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, her floor has some soft spots and the transom definitely needs replaced, but the price was right and the hull is very tight. I haven't checked over the motors, but they were running when parked 2yrs ago. Not sure whether she will be a restore or a remodel, but the "little" boat is acquired.

The biggest challenges I can see are replacing the plexi in the windscreen and having her ready to splash for this fishing season due to finishing the boat shed.

12957492144_bdff5aa0c1_z_d.jpg

12957488874_c3f8dd39b4_z_d.jpg

12957045925_f314f92dac_z_d.jpg

12957036435_2b9e7098b7_z_d.jpg

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: First installment of MBS--1978 Holiday 14'

well great job how much did you end up getting it for?

Got love the previous owner office chair seat mounts.

I'd try buffing the windshield out before replacing it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

So ya finally found one, she is a little cutie that's for sure! :thumb:

Let the tear down begin and the fun flow!

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well great job how much did you end up getting it for?

Got love the previous owner office chair seat mounts.

I'd try buffing the windshield out before replacing it.

I actually gave the asking price--$800. The owner did not net that, however, as I refused the purchase without a title, and the tag office charged him $145 for quick titles on both the boat and trailer. Not truly bottom feeder price, but I'm happy with it given how clean the hull is...and the fact that EVERYTHING up here is overpriced.

The scratches on the windshield would likely buff out--but there is a crack that doesn't show up well in these shots. Right in the middle, comes about 3 inches up from one mount screw, then circles back down to the next.

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So ya finally found one, she is a little cutie that's for sure! :thumb:

Let the tear down begin and the fun flow!

She is pretty cute, and actually has me rethinking a decision on the "bigger" boat. Because of how far foward her windscreen is compared to the 16'SFM I looked at, there seems to be a lot more room. The decision between the SS/SFM and Holiday layouts just got tougher.

I know several folks that did bow-ectomies set the windscreen back several inches, but has anyone moved the windscreen forward on a Super Sport rebuild? I like the open bow to be able to fish from the front, but I'm definitely a fan of the room in the back of the Holidays.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Thats the great thing about Tinny's you can make em how you want em.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You dipped yer toe in the water, Cloud. :D Did you find her local or have to hit the road? I see WA rego on the trailer/boat.

At least the PO was smart enough to take the casters off the custom seat posts. :facepalm:

Transom and floor won't be tough to do, at all. How are the motors, try to fire 'em up yet?

Yes - This is the start of MBS. :eek::D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That boat is awesome, I love the 14 foot Holiday's, really cool:joyous:

$800 you say? Well, that's fair price if those motors are junk and need to be parted out. Now, if they are runners? You absolutely stole that boat!:encouragement:

Hey, cloud, give us a reminder, what kind of boating do you do? Strictly fishing? What kind of waters? What kind of fishing?

dozerII

Admiral

She is pretty cute, and actually has me rethinking a decision on the "bigger" boat. Because of how far foward her windscreen is compared to the 16'SFM I looked at, there seems to be a lot more room. The decision between the SS/SFM and Holiday layouts just got tougher.

I know several folks that did bow-ectomies set the windscreen back several inches, but has anyone moved the windscreen forward on a Super Sport rebuild? I like the open bow to be able to fish from the front, but I'm definitely a fan of the room in the back of the Holidays.

Great looking little Holiday Cloud, I was a die hard SS man till I set eyes a Holiday, so much more room. A guy could move the consoles forward on an SS but it would be a lot of modifying. They are placed at the start of the bow curve, so as you moved them forward you would have to remove aluminum and curve the outer lip of the console top other wise the space between them would get to narrow to have access to the bow, and then there is fitting the windshield!!!

Last edited:

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You dipped yer toe in the water, Cloud. :D Did you find her local or have to hit the road? I see WA rego on the trailer/boat.

Transom and floor won't be tough to do, at all. How are the motors, try to fire 'em up yet?

She was about 3hrs away. Appeared on CL without pics, sketchy description and a good price :) A couple of hours later the pics appeared and I called the owner and committed to picking her up the next morning.

Haven't tried the motors yet, but after dealing with the owners a good part of the day yesterday, I'm convinced they are good people and wouldn't have any reason to misrepresent their condition. That said, I'm going to test compression, spark and do a leakdown on the Evinrude before I try to fire either one up. When I am sure they will run, I may look at tearing into my first lower unit for seals and waterpump.

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey, cloud, give us a reminder, what kind of boating do you do? Strictly fishing? What kind of waters? What kind of fishing?

Jas, at the moment, zero boating! :(

I grew up on the water, but have spent the last 26 years in the clouds (USAF). I did a little boating years ago, then moved to gunpowder burners, autocross racing, motorcycles and bicycles. Now that I am retired, I'm bringing fishing back into the mix. The boats will be primarily fishing, with some time just cruising with the Admiral and as many of the 7 furry children as space (and my patience) will allow.

Fishing in this area is primarily trout and salmon, a little pike and walleye and some warm water species--crappie and bass mostly. The lakes range from very small alpine lakes better suited for a kayak to our own "great lake" Pend Oreille. Pend Oreille can get ugly in a hurry, from what I hear, and she is one of the deepest in the country.

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glen, thanks for the inputs on the Super Sport. I had a suspicion it might not be as "simple" as opening up the bow and moving the windscreen back on a Holiday. I'm almost convinced to go inboard--just concerned about the availability of replacement engines and gimbals given the number of frozen blocks I am seeing up here! I'm not sure the Admiral or my neighbors can tolerate a new donor boat every time the engine needs a part. I know lowers are easily available through SEI, even if some of their reviews are less than stellar.

dozerII

Admiral

Glen, thanks for the inputs on the Super Sport. I had a suspicion it might not be as "simple" as opening up the bow and moving the windscreen back on a Holiday. I'm almost convinced to go inboard--just concerned about the availability of replacement engines and gimbals given the number of frozen blocks I am seeing up here! I'm not sure the Admiral or my neighbors can tolerate a new donor boat every time the engine needs a part. I know lowers are easily available through SEI, even if some of their reviews are less than stellar.

A brand new Mercruiser 3 liter complete package Carb to Prop is $8000. try finding an out board with 14 hp for anywhere near that new.
Mercruiser Engines. Complete Sterndrive Engines and Engine-Only Packages

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is the configuration I view as nearly ideal for the type fishing I am looking at for the bigger boat. I'm beginning to think a Holiday might be the ideal starting platform--still just working out inboard versus out and length.
Of course, I do know where there is a 19' Crestliner Nordic with a 150 hanging on the back that might be a great platform as well!

12970269685_dfba3ebf17_o_d.jpg

12970382353_d00337d3c0_o_d.jpg

12970315505_3991ae0f15_o_d.jpg

Attachments

• 12970382353_d00337d3c0_o_d.jpg
    12970382353_d00337d3c0_o_d.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1

barato2

Commander

You dipped yer toe in the water, Cloud. i was gonna say he went down the water slide....:eek:

agree with JAs, if motors are good, you got a deal even at midwest prices. on that boat, you could have the trans and floors out and new trans cut/glued in an evening or 2. you could be fishin with just that and PM on motors.....i hear salmon caught from boats with cracked windshields taste the same as those caught from that nice Alumaweld, so that part is "when you can get to it".

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You dipped yer toe in the water, Cloud. i was gonna say he went down the water slide....:eek:

agree with JAs, if motors are good, you got a deal even at midwest prices. on that boat, you could have the trans and floors out and new trans cut/glued in an evening or 2. you could be fishin with just that and PM on motors.....i hear salmon caught from boats with cracked windshields taste the same as those caught from that nice Alumaweld, so that part is "when you can get to it".

I definitely agree on the salmon taste, Bruce. As for the floor and transom only taking a night or two, I am afflicted with the same disease as many that post here...the "if, then" syndrome to put it in programming terms. IF I pull the floor, THEN I need to pull foam, check for loose rivets, gluvit the hull and repaint the interior.

barato2

Commander

it's called being thorough and efficiency of effort....same reason ya replace your still-usable clutch when you drop in a fresh motor. but you're right, i kind of forgot about all that "ancillary" stuff when i spouted off about 2 nights. :facepalm: oh, and don't forget trailer work.

still, it will be a relatively easy build and a good intro to what's involved....all the same work, on a 12' Seafarer or a 26 Chieftain. just the scale and difficulty of getting to it is different.

what size is that honda? 5 hp? beware working on it, you'll be spoiled for other motors.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Congrats on the new to you rig. $800 w/ titles is a good deal, even needing work..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nah - The water slide comes with #2-3. More than 3 and it's Acapulco cliff diving. Yee-Haw!

You did good, Cloud. Is the shop ready for it's first occupant?