2013 Starcraft Splash of the Year ~ Winner announced: GRANDAD's Holiday

jbcurt00

Staff member
Congrats to Grandad for winning the Starcraft Splash of the Year award for 2013 w/ his 1972 21ft Holiday renovation:
Starcraft Holiday Reno and Hull Repair

Grandad_zpsfd61b77d.jpg

He got a third of the total votes, 18 of 57+/- total votes. Well done! Thanks for sharing this project on iboats.

The SOTY award includes all the rights & privileges an award of this magnitude garners. Plus the respect of the Starmada mob, for at least the year following the win.
Angrymob_zps2c5b1c57.jpg

You can view the poll results here:
2013 SOTY voting poll

and the other 8 boat builds and the other 2 poll threads are linked from there.

Congrats again Grandad, outstanding work. You did the family's boat proud! The original owner, who's passed, would definitely be impressed.

Last edited:

IslandGirlTalk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2013 Starcraft Splash of the Year ~ Winner announced: GRANDAD's Holiday

Congrats, Grandad! Your boat looks great. Hopefully I can check it out at an Ontario iboats meet up someday.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Congrats

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I posted this in one of the poll threads, but it really belongs here-

More thanks need to be dished out. JB, you did a heck of a job putting this together. 14 nominees and digging up pics and links to their resto threads was no easy task. :ranger: The Starmada owes you a pat on the back and big Thank You!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

An earned honor for sure, we all know how much work goes into the job you did. An outstanding rebuild on one of Starcraft's legendary boats!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Again, thanks GA, I appreciate it. It wasn't nearly as tough (or long term, thankfully;)) as some of this years builds.

Fun Times

Staff member

On behalf of iboats, I'd like to say congratulations to all the nominees for bringing back some well deserved boats back to life as they all turned out to be outstanding beautiful watercrafts to grace both iboats forums and our local waterways for all to see and enjoy.:) Great job to all involved including the voters.:)

Congratulations to Grandad on your take of this years top honors of such an prestigious award among Starcraft owners. This was not an easy vote to cast by any means because they all turned out beautiful in their own way. Take me for example, I did not vote because I'm still trying to decide on what boat to vote for.;)

Congrats to you too John (jbcurt00) for a job well done.:)

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

:hail: Grandad!

Your ingenuity and attention to detail are inspirational! you showed guys with cracked-up tin that there is hope for bringing our rigs around...keeping them from becoming soda cans! my tinny and i both thank you! Congratulations!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, it's been great seeing your work. Congratulations!!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Just wanted to be sure my congrats to gdad got on the active thread....

Grandad - Congratulations and well done man! No doubt you have built a top notch, one of a kind beauty, excellent! So long as this forum is around there will be a truck load of guys looking to your project to help guide them along. High five, firm handshake, big hug:joyous:

InMotion

Commander

Congrat's Grandad! Well done and well desirved for that awesome job!

Jim

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Congratulations Grandad!

Thanks John for running the polls this year!

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats GD! Great looking SC.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Woooo hoooooo
Well done!!!!!!

barato2

Commander

just a crazy thought, and i don't know if iboats even has this capability. it would be very cool if a pic of the current SOTY boat appeared at the top of these forums....the subie Outback forum i used to be on a lot does this. and, i think, encouraging to noobies who have just dragged home a bedraggled pile o tin and are facing the Angry Admiral......can't hurt to be able to show her a pic of what these look like "after"

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'll ask a mod B2 ^^^

My plan is to have a Starcraft Splash of the Year award thread sticky with a growing list of the winner every year. Not unlike Jas rebuild thread. Perhaps a brief description of the Splash criteria, voting & award. With a link to the winner's thread (like this one), which then should have a link to the poll thread.....

GA_Boater

That would be neat. A pic and link in the forum top menu to tell visitors that this is what we do. For forum promotion, it can be any refurbed boat, motor or boating activity. We know tinnies are the cat's PJs, but we have many members doing amazing things. Rotating pics/links with different things so it doesn't stagnate. We know toneeees (I never put enough e's in) has nothing better to do. :facepalm::D

jbcurt00

Staff member

That would be neat. A pic and link in the forum top menu to tell visitors that this is what we do. For forum promotion, it can be any refurbed boat, motor or boating activity. We know tinnies are the cat's PJs, but we have many members doing amazing things. Rotating pics/links with different things so it doesn't stagnate. We know toneeees (I never put enough e's in) has nothing better to do. :facepalm::D

That's kind of what the iboats blog iboater of the month promotion (not the right term, but whatever, I's not a English major :facepalm:) that's on the iboats home page:
[h=3]iboats.com Blog[/h]@bottom right under the Boating Community heading

and the Member of the month, but only thru May 2013...

GA_Boater

Yeah - I knew that, JB. But to be fair, it's all but invisible. MOM is more of an enhanced member profile, if you will. The resto blog only has two entries, the NB Liquid Limo and LL's Permanent Vacation along with cleaning seats tips.

I guess I was thinking of something more visible that isn't just a SC, but across all lines. Easy for me to say cuz I don't have figure it out.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah - I knew that, JB. But to be fair, it's all but invisible.

I agree. The rest as well, but for sure the hard to find bit. It actually took a minute for me to find, and I knew what to look for & where :facepalm:

I meant it'd be a great idea to boost the MOM, the blog AND a resto project. If they decide to do the before & after thread, as noted in the big changes sticky, its ALL good stuff to have much more visible and it should be.....