Does anyone know if this Tach will work with my boat

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: Does anyone know if this Tach will work with my boat

I always feel better when I see the back of tachs to make sure they're really universal (lug terminals) and you don't need some special cable/adapter to fit the back of the tach.

there is an accessory (IH14767), the 3-wire harness. Your motor controller may already have a tach plug...which would be sweet...plug-n-play. Otherwise, you need to go into the remote control, find the sender and wire-it in (along with a ground and +12V-Accessory).

Last edited:

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's some neat wiring work BlueFin!

Here's the back of the tach:

Starcraft-2013-Aug-05-5956.jpg

Apparently you set the switch to half the number of poles on the alternator. I believe mine has 10, so I will set it to 5.

Will report results (but it will take a while).

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it installed.

Wired up fine. Correct setting was 6P

Here are some pics:

Starcraft-2013-Sep-02-6420.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Sep-02-6423-2.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Sep-02-6423.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Sep-02-6424.jpg

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Looks good up there Bill! The red accents pop-off nicely!

firedawg662

Cadet

I don't wish to hijack the thread, but will an automotive tach work on an ob motor? They are both 12v systems and I'm thinking I should be able to route the pulse wire to the tach pole on the electrical block and the + to a hot and - to ground.:confused:

Scott

barato2

Commander

firedawg----yeah, you should probably start a separate thread. one issue will be whether you're talking an OB with magneto ignition or one with conventional distributor + coil ignition like a Chrysler.....should work fine on the latter, not sure on former. prolly worth just trying if you or a friend have a spare tach; doubt it would fry the tach if you were wrong.

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't wish to hijack the thread, but will an automotive tach work on an ob motor? They are both 12v systems and I'm thinking I should be able to route the pulse wire to the tach pole on the electrical block and the + to a hot and - to ground.:confused:

Scott

It depends on the motor. I would think in most cases, probably not. Automotive tachs usually have a switch on the back fro 4 - 6 - 8 cylinder operation, and are generally a different ignition system from an OB. Now, if you happen to have a 4 cylinder, 4-stroke OB with automotive-type ignition, then yes it would work. Otherwise, probably not.