Tin addiction 18' Starcraft Chieftain

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
That’s what I’m talking about! Enjoying the fruits of your labor.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Glad that you were able to get the Chief on the water again! Looking great.:joyous:

Awesome scenery and pic. Good idea to give the bear a wide berth! :lol:

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Beautiful scenery! It must be nice to be in a beautiful boat on beautiful waters!

I see you have your boat buckles on the cleats. Is that to keep them off the smart tabs? I've been considering that in planning my hardware layout for my transom. If it's not too much trouble, can I get you to post a picture of your transom directly standing behind it, straight-on? I am planning on the same basic set-up and I want to see how you have things positioned.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Actually that is one of the cover straps from the trailer frame to the cleat so I wouldn't back over it. The transom is all stock config with 3 stern eyes and the boat buckles just do clear the tabs. I do take the buckles off the eyes and hook the loop in the cover so I can ratchet it down.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just started reading this thread, started at the end and decided to read it all like a book. Very nice looking boat, a lot of work right there!

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the tip on the cover, Watermann. I got one and it fits fine on an OB 18' Chief. I haven't made a center support yet, but will follow your lead on the PVC pipe support. I got this despite having a full canvas cruising cover since I noticed that the sun was starting to do a number on the expensive cabin cover and isinglass windows while I had it parked on the trailer. I got it as an unused return for about 2/3 price.

Watermann

Glad I could share it with my fellow Chief owners, it was tough not knowing which cover to pop on. That Attwood cover is a very cost effective way to keep all the expensive interior stuff in good shape. When I winterize I'll add a heavy duty tarp over that cover too for peace of mind over the long winter months.

Watermann

On vacation at home for a few weeks and doing boat work. It was time for the Chief to get some love and maintenance this spring.

New water pump kit in lower unit with oil change of course. (All was well with no leaks)
New trim pump, wow does it even make a huge difference!
New circulation pump and hose on the 4.3L Mercruiser. The old pump was rusting away and the hose wouldn't seal. The old pump also when removed and I spun the shaft there was the sound of grinding bearings so it was time. I upgraded the hose clamps from the old worm gear style that eats $35 hoses to solid band clams with bolts and 7/16" nylocs ($6. ea). I'll have to add more of the clamps as I replace hoses over the years.

y4mNsJ8gpyhtdD6IUgiOiZBy7igNq1IcEE3un2OgNs3Btnpdv31F1C0krNpb_6_ZtVH3MWlLvybiytNvSq8y52BMQLKoIDsppUv88liNVr9WNCmWRIJRwJensO1s0PHyZAb_zEUeBAQDp0_Y7uVm875u6yGa_gRLBUbXDdJa7Mr7xutXfSfA9y1P7-9vrfsL3bVb6IIfFOUyPyJV-2eJ0sLrA

I decided it was time to add the Nautolex vinyl to the entire tops of the seat box tops as I had ran out when doing the build and only had enough to do where your feet rest. I had ordered extra for this when I was doing the SS. Then I decided to pull the box sides too and repaint them. In the process now, looks like I have some deck swabbing to do, never realized how filthy the vinyl gets.

y4mHNv89NW-P1Q8eaMO0o6KV744xGuAfDd-rNSrSi6_UTM5ZkeGbpCeAIB9z1jKrjpDt17siRO7opRnn_x6JYq3U4sLtOkm4dp25gM4tFUl1SLYL089GnjBtAN2pKkm2LO-2HM8BEA7UxV68BRd_oQaWOP6BipD6WFizXUp2Rjha46eOj12B6z0PbemBm0vGQeB5ekr_umkC5TMc9wZskbXOw

y4m_6Q0fBNgfF04GNN98MnqxwKbNJxUZ4J1X8SeVtClYMtHj4rzCc-kTJxALE4r61_t08mtyvG6QlL6WfZSfLpm42qsXA9mehDCqTUL_RrEkCZJAba1yaS7a2lOZ4ms6Yq6PAeO5cDlcen9a5Ay2tq45OURz-xMBn5IJadTlvQtuSQN1y6_ot6nOIdHgvwA2yymGf8O2eMYXJBERqrPovhzjg

Should be done with everything and have an after pic this weekend, the painted box sides are very soft and will be easily damaged so I have to wait on them to cure up some more.

y4m-GDG2ConB1BIOsaZNuawcBHk4JlyR6KOJCabnah-RhzdYy1gKZSlFLpErTWpYFrgLl9rhb5aVoIbbSG8iLJc1e28-h8pKCyAK7gRbGq2ElCMpOMBNsbtRwhBWFlV7_iZhm1FBQBlZWM2fDoTFYXKGnwDtVdsExkqGyOJv6mhtUdICNFetrW1OfNlXjjQWpko2XW9rqlL5h0aa2dkA4DZoQ

ab59

Ensign
Damn that is nice , clean looking work . I have rebuilt 5.7 sitting in my 201 v with maybe an hour on it that does not look as clean as that little 6 in your 's. All that Nautolex on the floor look so clean that i wish that I would have of given it more consideration on my deck and used carpet just on the sides , next one I guess.
just excellent work as always -----

Watermann

Damn that is nice , clean looking work . I have rebuilt 5.7 sitting in my 201 v with maybe an hour on it that does not look as clean as that little 6 in your 's. All that Nautolex on the floor look so clean that i wish that I would have of given it more consideration on my deck and used carpet just on the sides , next one I guess.
just excellent work as always -----

Thanks for checking in and the compliments on my old Chief. Can't believe it's been 4 years already coming up in July. Anyway here is the secret to a new looking motor, clean, clean and clean some more. There isn't a spec of grime I don't wipe off with super clean and a rag. It helps that the motor doesn't weep even a drop of motor oil.

Then use this.

89191c54-8b0e-4516-9df6-1fb03060ed9c_1.35288920aa77aa7efd5978476c86c4ee.jpeg

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How many yards did the boat take total of the flooring? I'm debating on doing this or just paint.

Watermann

The Nautolex I bought was 72" wide and sold by the yard, length of your boat plus a yard is what I did for the Chief. At 3.5 Lbs per yard it's a lightweight option too.