Tin addiction 18' Starcraft Chieftain

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tin addiction 18' Starcraft Chieftain

Looking good H20! Cant wait to see what you do with this one :) Long haul for sure I would guess...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I was a bit bummed out after digging in the bin of Mercruiser 120 parts. Talk about a rusted out junk heap. Rust flaking off in sheets inside and out on the original engine which I found to be a Kiekhaefer Merc after finding the serial plate.

Today however I found a guy 5 miles away who has a rebuilt Merc 120, bored with new pistons, ran for 5 hours before he wasn't happy and converted to small block chev and stored the 120. He's asking 300 for it complete except for bell housing, manifold and flywheel which I have 3 of so no problem there. I asked why he wasn't happy and was told because the manifold was found to be cracked so they just gave up on the 120. I have 2 manifolds but they don't look very good rust wise, no cracks that I could find though. I can't beat that deal on a rebuilt 120 so going to take a look at it this weekend.

Weather is supposed to be getting better, been raining for about 2 weeks or at least since I brought her home so maybe I can get out and do some demolition.

Trailer that looked good at first glance but after a closer look, it's not salvageable in my book corroded from the inside out with some holes showing through. This is gonna get expensive fast I'm afraid.

I will get some pics up here soon for you guys to see what I'm facing, it's ugly.

pckeen

Commander

Center Console!

Sacrilege. Listen to the admiral. Boat has great lines, just as she is.

Good luck with the Merc.

Watermann

Some of the issues I will be facing in the future from the top down.

Lower plexi windshield is completely toast.

y4mN4cfNvy-qlWx5Y-42oGJcgub5Xz4GvATtQhzZ10m_7HE42SpgSZN_hhgjL-vut_9Zuqf4P2gj1mOsn1bfr4NtBpqHTYxHR3oNNByfpCtUL_MAbYvTO9d4nTP2-6sj4Q13D--Lq6fte4voCI6zWz5qwtYlmaIl7l_mAryBJ9fy-GXXMEDyiHktsBLta5Sk5T1c6ADnPJO6KorWE849jlEgQ

Rub rail caps are almost gone and have corrosion under them through the hull in places.

y4msnMJV5Ii_gwAG9TWx8NmdGcEndfrZCjH_SHCq-oi1BvD8_MWBfyznrUOK04ZO5M0TRayUWnOEeMqNRrz7oAYWOSQOdnbUGB06BZe_ax-cC4Rur_V_wZhbC-EhCvskJJO5yWHFGIrPB-2wP801iyxsz9kHgLSKr27vo8ng3PTtDsFhOjEzonUDWxP4PZI5cLRW5Gup4exmPYxSSjPafZe4Q

Transom skin has some heavy corrosion on the outside, I can't wait to see what it looks like inside where the wood has been sitting against it.

y4my6feXaF-Niqx3gTWazzVXXt_-oa-B221iaQB9zhnUdegk1RZta-dF87_GYsLgIUh3ZqNx3ypGxj1AggKxHE2a2etteMEnGxsbeol2coW1rMmXd5XVIpe1WuLA5TfVqTtcTANI9IQuWE72QuK2QKqvBXSskGIE8SxEpI0myL2jqPwoX22ShLMpX2n0YgP1N6mxgEQA1VCKFl2srLeAhlpUg

Then there's the rusted out trailer with a coat of thick white paint over the rust.

y4m2RMc9b9M4eJQupKS-tkcp1CPmnRkMdYgQ6XH7zEdb1q1T3AEcZ_ZtFP-xmiqP7kF0oucyZlYErnhueJ4LwGTwi5ad1idsG-Y_uKYXuAKw6_y8LGlimRv2iMIW_OECxO1jZS2sOq-TBG78RTxSksZu4pBeh9svOks8d12P3RFdUyboq2emIwQPMP0L3M_Y7jZM9cKc8wWM-BSLWPn1ReizA

y4m2PMrbYBCajkfBTbrkjy_jRx8mJ7p3BBCiVpgk0sSspaBBU19nETfYtSwIK7WJzO0YkXq_5zIM8q27o6RrrThVVTO2hREBGAbeLQdAulceAgY28QuEdEBYCuB2vE8WmOQ0rhuzkrVx8fVSlHqZxgmBwxDKH3Cf0WRVpoyJHZk7_Tbam09Ui7hgmvPOLjYFEsibY1RtH4rbz9yhdKSMW6wjA

It's not that easy to tell looking at the photos of the trailer but up close it's horrible. Can't believe the old girl sitting on it had my attention so much that I didn't see the rotten trailer. Those are rusted through holes from the inside out and if you want a closer look go to my bucket and see them full res, it's pretty clear then.

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

As someone restoring a tinny with many battle scars, the only advice that I can offer is don't give yourself a deadline and take your time with this one...stressing about everything all-at once will drive you nuts! :loco: :lol:

I have some extra rub rail caps that are also corroded...but not that bad. If you'd like I'll remove the pitting to see if they can be salvaged.

Watermann

That's a great offer and advice as well, thanks. I was thinking it would be easiest just to eliminate those rails, fill the holes and then paint over. My main concern really is getting her tore down and cleaned up right now so I can start on hull repairs. There is no way I could ever get this one done in a few months, maybe years yes. The nice thing is I've found only one minor dent in the entire hull so that is something to be very happy about.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

H2Oman, Looks bad, especially the trailer. It seems to be toast. On the boat, get some paint removed so you can see what's really there. Was she used in salt? Sure looks like it and not much done to protect her. One good thing, the pooched rub rail caps are still available new. In one of the other restos, the mind is failing today (as usual), was a link to them. Not too $$$ either.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Not sure how I missed this thread... Must have gotten buried in the other 9 million starcraft restos...

I like the boat... Sorry about the corrosion... Hope it isn't fatal...

Your hoards of wasps reminded me of a boat name from one of my favorite movies:

"I christen thee: The flying wasp... "

jbcurt00

Staff member

jbcurt00

Staff member

This may be something you could use on the stern corrosion:
Attention All Tinners!!

Sounds like a better solution then multiple large passes w/ JB Weld..

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Watermann, I took my also shot plexi windshield to a glass shop, and they cut a new one for about $100 with labor. I had to bend it myself. I used a heat gun on low. Take note: I cracked mine at the top of the bend because I was trying to force it...if you just let the heat work with some patience it should come out almost flawless...maybe a couple of wavy spots but mine looks great except for the crack:mad:

Watermann

Not sure how I missed this thread... Must have gotten buried in the other 9 million starcraft restos...

I like the boat... Sorry about the corrosion... Hope it isn't fatal...

Your hoards of wasps reminded me of a boat name from one of my favorite movies:

"I christen thee: The flying wasp... "

Oh man too funny! "hey you scratched my anchor" :lol:

End cap thread:
Side Rail End Caps

Attwood 9462-1 end cap

Also now $17.54 ea

Currently low as I could find: $15.23/ea

This may be something you could use on the stern corrosion:
Attention All Tinners!!

Sounds like a better solution then multiple large passes w/ JB Weld..

Awesome, I may just have to move the rail caps a ways to get into some good material but I bet they would hold riveted through some MT or JB.

Watermann, I took my also shot plexi windshield to a glass shop, and they cut a new one for about $100 with labor. I had to bend it myself. I used a heat gun on low. Take note: I cracked mine at the top of the bend because I was trying to force it...if you just let the heat work with some patience it should come out almost flawless...maybe a couple of wavy spots but mine looks great except for the crack:mad:

Yeah Chem your thread is one I'll be revisiting often for some ideas, thanks for the plexi advice!

Watermann

H2Oman, Looks bad, especially the trailer. It seems to be toast. On the boat, get some paint removed so you can see what's really there. Was she used in salt? Sure looks like it and not much done to protect her. One good thing, the pooched rub rail caps are still available new. In one of the other restos, the mind is failing today (as usual), was a link to them. Not too $$$ either.

Yeah I think the old Chief was ran around in Puget Sound for quite a few years. I may have a line on a new fresh water trailer on the cheap, we'll see what the future holds for the hull repairs.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Great score! Hopefully all the bad stuff can just be painted over with some more super thick, super gooey paint and it will all be OK...:rolleyes:
...jk...:lol:
But hey really, if these kinds of alumatubs were available in my neck of the swamps, I would love to latch on to one for the full monty...they really are cool looking rigs and seem really spacious for their size...not to mention they look like they can handle the rough stuff...unfortunately, this is glasslandia, and if anybody has an aluminum boat of any kind, they usually think they are made of pure "Unobtainium" and want several body parts as a purchase price...

Would slapping a 5.7 Merc be totally out of the question on something like this...?

BTW, get a decent spray bottle and fill it with some Lacquer thinner, keep it handy for when the flying stinger bugs come at you, make sure you spray with the wind to your back...:facepalm:...and use the mist setting for easier target acquisition...once hit, they pretty much fall out of the sky...just don't do it while any EPA or OSHA inspectors are hanging around...:peep:...and if you are feeling real frisky, you can set the spray on "stream" and use it like a flame thrower with a lighter...:laser::fear:

Looks like you are definitely in for the long haul, but it looks like a journey that will lead to a fun and rewarding conclusion...
I'll be tagging along to see how it all ends up.
Best of luck and have fun!
GT1M

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Wasp+Flamethrower=OMG, I pizzed them off! :faint2::eek::facepalm::laugh:

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A late congrats and welcome. Had mine out all day yesterday with 4 on board and it handles the chop really well. You will love it!!!

I had to make the lower windshield and used smoked polycarbonate. That stuff can be cold formed or heat formed. The downside is that you have to make sure you dont use amonia based cleaners or you'll eventually get crazing. If you can swing the extra cost get the AR (abrasion resistant) polycarb.

$300 sounds like a deal on a rebuilt engine. Hope that works out for you.

"it's in the hole!":lol:

Watermann

Hey guys thanks for buzzing my dry dock, I will try to keep it interesting and will welcome any suggestions I can get.

It went from raining all day to 100 degrees in 2 days here, I can't catch a break to work outside on that rivet tub. I just need to get the transom mount and gimbal off her but so far most of the bolts have just snapped or twisted right off. They are so corroded in I had to resort to a breaker bar and go uni-brow on them. Got one bolt left that's behind the exhaust tube which also won't come off because a bolt head snapped. I can only get an end wrench in there so I keep soaking with PB and hoping what HP I can get on it will be enough to bust it loose.

pckeen

Commander

When its raining, its too nasty to work on the boat, when sunny, too nice.

Oh well.

Take your time over the demo.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, working outside sucks. But, you do at least have a garage (I think?) to do all the carpentry/wood sealing when you get to that point. Also a good place to drink beer and stare at your progress.

Watermann

Great score! Hopefully all the bad stuff can just be painted over with some more super thick, super gooey paint and it will all be OK...:rolleyes:
...jk...:lol:
But hey really, if these kinds of alumatubs were available in my neck of the swamps, I would love to latch on to one for the full monty...they really are cool looking rigs and seem really spacious for their size...not to mention they look like they can handle the rough stuff...unfortunately, this is glasslandia, and if anybody has an aluminum boat of any kind, they usually think they are made of pure "Unobtainium" and want several body parts as a purchase price...

Would slapping a 5.7 Merc be totally out of the question on something like this...?

BTW, get a decent spray bottle and fill it with some Lacquer thinner, keep it handy for when the flying stinger bugs come at you, make sure you spray with the wind to your back...:facepalm:...and use the mist setting for easier target acquisition...once hit, they pretty much fall out of the sky...just don't do it while any EPA or OSHA inspectors are hanging around...:peep:...and if you are feeling real frisky, you can set the spray on "stream" and use it like a flame thrower with a lighter...:laser::fear:

Looks like you are definitely in for the long haul, but it looks like a journey that will lead to a fun and rewarding conclusion...
I'll be tagging along to see how it all ends up.
Best of luck and have fun!
GT1M

Yeah GT I was thinking the same thing about the tin boats, well any of the boats here for that matter were over the top on price. I kept passing them up until this old Chief caught my eye. It was a 2 week process of negotiation until finally the guy came down to my offer price. I found the key was to make a reasonable offer and walk away leaving my phone number and the promise of cash money.

I have a ton of ideas floating about in my head for the Chief but I must admit the I/O part of the rebuild is intimidating and daunting. I don't think a 5.7 conversion is is the cards for me however I have thought about a 4.3 but would need a donor boat.