1973 starcraft ss restore in progress

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
bought this a week ago for 800.00 bucks with no power and planning a full restore. looking for any advice to questions to come from any of you experienced fellas. here is some pics of when i brought er home for starters and thanks again foIMG_0002.jpgIMG_0004.jpgIMG_0006.jpgr any input. fair price?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 starcraft ss restore in progress

Most iBoaters get a Free Photobucket account and use the IMG Code to post their pics.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nice looking Starcraft. Lot's of "Tinners" here on the forum, soo... I suspect you'll have a plethera of advice coming your way in no time at all. My advice is to start looking for a Motor sooner than later. How long is she? 16' - 18'???

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer

18 ft ss, rated for 140 hp , i agree find one sooner than later. to be honest this could be a couple year project. short on time, but always wanted to do one, so took the plunge. plan this season is to get it gutted, and transom redone. clean up hull, gluvit inside and then turtle it and prep out side for paint. cut and resin deck this summer. spend winter months ( live in northern mn. ) in garage working on side panels, console, front bow and such. paint next spring put in floor , and interior. all the while looking for power. any suggestions on appropr4iate power would be appreciated. got day off friday so gonna get her gutted and stripped then and see what we got for hull and hoping not blow in foam!

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer

one of my first questions is plywood for transom and floor. marine grade exterior, arauco seem to be big on here but i am having trouble finding it so am wondering if acx exterior sanded would be sufficient with 2 coats of epoxy resin brushed on. thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

ACX will work especially if epoxy coated and Painted. I'm really Partial to Johnson/Evinrude motors. A 120 would be just about Perfect for her IMHO!!:)

jbcurt00

Staff member

one of my first questions is plywood for transom and floor. marine grade exterior, arauco seem to be big on here but i am having trouble finding it so am wondering if acx exterior sanded would be sufficient with 2 coats of epoxy resin brushed on. thanks

Yep, see, you don't need no stinkin' advice :watermelon:

Glue the 2 pcs of 3/4" ACX together w/ gorilla glue, titebond3 or other waterproof glue. TB3 is great, water clean up & rated as waterproof when it dries. Coat both mating surfaces w/ a good skim coat & screw/clamp them together. Remove the screws & fill the holes w/ epoxy. Coat each side of the transom lamination 2X w/ epoxy & do the edges every time you put a coat on. Edges will get a total of 4 coats. When you fill the empty screw holes, fill any voids in the plywood along the edges too....

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer

thanks guys, sounds like a good plan for the transom job, will probably go with the acx exterior, and ordered epoxy resin from clarckcraft,along with gluvit for the innside of hull. gonna get er stripped this weekend and proceed from there. will post pics of the tear down, and keep em coming as i proceed

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer

got er stripped today and all went well. was real happy to see sheet and block foam and not blown in ( heard that is a bit of a pita ) floor and side panels in tough shape but gonna be good enough for templates. next step to clean up hull ( thinking somple green and power washer ) then gluvit on inside. was wondering on transom if any of you have experience with clark craft epoxy resin and what you thought of it. thanks

SigSaurP229

Commander

Ezombee used clarkcraft with good results. I used us composites 635 good stuff as well. West systems seems to be the top notch though. Id certainly use us composites again.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer

thanks sig, ordered from clarkcraft, hope will work fine. that stuff aint so cheap is it?

B-Dozer

Seaman

I have this exact same boat that I bought last sumer and totally gutted and rebuilt, If you have any questions i would be happy to help anyway I can. I cant post pics because photo bucket wont work on my computer. but i can email them to you if you need. This is the third boat I have done so It only took me a weekend to complete start to finish. paint, floor, carpet, transom rebuild and repowerd with a 70hp evinrude

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer

thanks dozer ,keep checking back if you would as iam gonna have plenty of questions. gonna take me a bit longer as my time is real thin right now

SigSaurP229

Commander

No its not very cheap but in the long run it is worth every penny every piece of ply on my boat got hit with minimum two coats, transom and floor got three and a coat of spar. I am seriously hoping to never deal with rot again considering this boat is a trailer queen stored under a cover inside a climate controlled shop it shouldn't.

dozerII

Admiral

Great project cc, you came to the right place for info. But by the sound od it you have already done your homework.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer

thanks, wondering how well i got to clean up the hull before gluvit. was thinking of redoing transom, then gluvit, then turtle it for outside paint prep and to keep sunlight off the gluvit in hull