18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

CT - A little obsessive aren't we? Flossing your limber holes. :facepalm::lol: Good looking work. :thumb:

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

CT - A little obsessive aren't we? Flossing your limber holes. :facepalm::lol: Good looking work. :thumb:

haha, maybe
I've never owned a tin boat before and looking at the amount of water than can dam up, it will give me peice of mind to know I dont have salt water stuck in there from those dam foam chunks.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

you're making short work of this thing! It's looking really good! it's going to be a tank when you're done with it!

barato2

Commander

yeah, really nice work. boat looks great. get your spousal unit to shoot a pic of you flossing the limber holes......:D

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

hah, thats one part of boat restoration I haven't mastered yet, how to answer your wife at 9pm on a Saturday night while busy slinging epoxy

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Still moving along over here.

Where do you guys store your battery or batteries on open bow setups? I was thinking of mounting it up front under the console, any reason not to? I've always kept my battery under the splash well in the past.

classiccat

Still moving along over here.

Where do you guys store your battery or batteries on open bow setups? I was thinking of mounting it up front under the console, any reason not to? I've always kept my battery under the splash well in the past.

Oh boy ct, you were moving at a good clip...splashing her soon??

you'd want to mount your starting battery as close to the engine as possible to minimize voltage drop across the wire during cranking. Otherwise, you'll need a larger gauge wire to compensate....$$$.

If you plan to run a trolling motor, I'd keep the deep cycle / house battery as close as possible to the trolling motor for the same reason.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

thanks, in that case ill just keep it under the splashwell. No trolling motor, just starter+electronics.

I'm going to attempt to splash as soon as possible and deal with the little things later. Dash is done, shortened splashwell's done. (26" down from 36")

Right now I just need do all electrical, mount the motor, paint the floor 2x with non skid, one more coat of paint on the outside

oh ****, i guess I need to register this thing too:)

hope to splash in 2 weeks, maybe 3. Sundays mothers day, that takes 1/2 my next weekend away.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

hah, thats one part of boat restoration I haven't mastered yet, how to answer your wife at 9pm on a Saturday night while busy slinging epoxy

Toughest part of boat restoration right there.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Ok I ran into a little snag with Connecticut boat registration here. Without getting into the ridiculous story's we have all had at the DMV, Within 4 hours total I was bounced back and forth about what forms might exist out of state, that I might be able to use in conjunction with my Boat Title+bill of sale, which I do have. I went home defeated.

I now see on the DMV website, I had overlooked the need for a copy of the previous registration when the boat is out of state.
DMV: Documents Required for Registration of a Boat

No one actually told me this during my ordeal, I think they were caught with the fact that I had an official Title with me, and CT not using boat titles.

Anyway... I'm now leaving voice mails for the PO, who may or may not have the contact for the last known registrar.

This deal is legit and I want to do it legit, but it looks like I am going to need a valid boat registration, not title. If anyone happens to have an extra 18'ish metal boat laying around, in a drawer, that I might buy for a reasonable price, please pm me.

GA_Boater

So stupid, CT. A title is better proof of ownership than registration, which expires. A title never expires. Plus you can have a titled boat that was never registered. I wish states would standardize boat titles/registration. Good luck.

I wonder if this is only good for in-state transfers? http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/B-203.PDF

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Right, that's the part that says A letter of explanation if the boat was never registered But what exactly does that mean? I can write my own letter with some excuse and get it Notarized, saying my grandfather had it unregistered or something since 1969? Or the prev owner writes a letter? Also you get different answers from different people so theres no way to know who will accept what. F**K! so frustrating.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

...but i got new LED light strips in the mail today, woooooo!:mad-new:

GA_Boater

I think you are caught in the lack of knowledge and misinterpretation of the state laws by state employees.

At least you got LEDs.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I've had similar 'problems' w/ individuals at the DMV office. I've found that 'most' are really only trying to understand the rules as it isn't a regular occurrence & w/ 52 different states & regs, it seems totally random.

I've taken a pile of paperwork (all that I was told to bring) and been turned away from by the clerk that helped me & told to bring most of that & 1 additional piece of paperwork (once 2 additional pieces). I returned the following day w/ only the paperwork I'd taken the day before & left w/ WV reg for boat, title for boat & trailer to be mailed in 10-14 business days, and a current plate for the trailer, only difference was the clerk that waited on me.

Ask around, see if 1 local DMV is generally more or less helpful. I've been to 2 rural offices, and both local to me DMV's & they've all been mostly helpful.

WV isn't the most forward thinking state, but may be easier then CT....

BTW, I've seen a few references to using Maine to register boats & trailers online. W/out paying exorbitant fees to a title processor.

I've used Wisconsin online to register several boats w/out title or registration. Wisconsin only does up to 16ft boats, so your 18ft would require a visual inspection by a DNR/DMV/State Trooper/Sheriff to complete the required form.

classiccat

maybe a last resort would be to "sell it" to a member in another state that would accept a title, have it registered in that state (and pay the fees & taxes), then "buy" it back? ...of course for that to work, you'd need a title that's in your name...so back to square-1 :facepalm:

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Took my same paperwork to a different dmv location, they accepted it no problem. I'm all set!:joyous:
...but a 3 inch strip of my 16 foot LED lights is dead AHHHHHH:mad-new::mad-new::mad-new:, eh I dont care about that part

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

ok not to harp on this but I have to tell at least these 2 things I was told by the bad DMV.

"this hull from MA is numbered starting with MS, something is wrong with your paperwork. CT hulls start with CT, so MA hulls should start with MA"
sent home, looked up online, clerk was wrong, MA hulls start with MS.
go back, two more hours in line.

-new person
"pffff, I cant take this bill of sale from CT?!? you need a bill of sale from MA"
but the CT website says to use this, and it doesn't have a "purchase location" on it, its just a generic bill of sale form, MA literally does not have one, they just advise to write xyz, sign and date. That is what we have in font of us as we speak

It actually gets more ridiculous after that...

GA_Boater

So you have a legal Offshore V. :) And dead LEDs. :mad: I'll take the live tinny over the dead LEDs any day. :D

I don't want to start sumpin', but how about the trailer?

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

hah, weeeell about that...
Same deal, it's all legit and I have the paper work for it. The first person who denied me on the boat passed the trailer through no problem.

I should be ok, except that CT requires a VIN inspection when the trailer was registered out of state. So I have a 10 day pass for a VIN inspection, then back to the DMV yet again after that to complete the process.

Well of course, there is no VIN that I can find, infact no trailers I have ever owned have physical VINs(no, none of them are stolen)
I did a trailer inspection about 6 years ago there, it was just terrible, guy was such a **** much like DMV clerk#2. I mean really the only time I was treated as ****ty as cleark#2 somewhere was that guy who inspected my trailer years ago at that same facility.

Anyway I'll give it one try and im out, I will be rebuilding my old trailer if need be.