18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

Yeah, happy with the 70hp performance with two of us anyway. It was a quick outing, that's actually the sun going down. I didn't get a chance to go WOT due to my rotted passenger seat completely bashing apart in the waves. new seats needed...

highest on the handheld GPS was 24mph. 5200rpm I think. Next week ill try to play with performance some

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Woohooo!

Congrats!!!

Amazing job in only 2 months...you flew through that! :plane:

BonairII

Commander

Congrats on your splash! Boat looks great.

5200 rpm might be a tad low for your motor. I'm guessing that you might be a bit over-propped. What pitch is your current prop?

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow!! You've done fantastic and in such a short time! Nothing beats finally getting your restoration in the water!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look at that, an Offshore on the water with legal things on the bow. :D Good going, man. :) Now the fine tuning fun begins, but you know it floats and runs. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

EDIT - Changed from SS. Some of these tinnies look alike. oops!

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats on your splash! Boat looks great.
5200 rpm might be a tad low for your motor. I'm guessing that you might be a bit over-propped. What pitch is your current prop?

prop: 13-1/4 x 17
1982 70hp Evinrude outboard model: e70elcnb

5200 rpm was not the max speed, it was just the max speed I could go for about 2 seconds without tossing my wife and broken seat flying from the boat..
I think it will go a little higher, I didn't get a chance to open it up all the way.

This boat floats so high out of the water! At rest, the water line is about at the red line in this photo, does that seem normal?
attachment.php

It never stopped spitting water but sounded like it kicked out of the water a few times, my previous 16' glass boat was probably sitting too low, but I would never have that condition where you hear the rpms rev up as the prop nears close, at, or on top of the water line.

No power t&t, and I have yet to play with angle manually. I had the tilt set to the 4rd hole from the transom.

CT - I didn't see impeller mentioned in your maintenance list. You must have changed that out over 8 years. Every two years is recommended.

so...I guess its time to change my impeller thats never been addressed since before I bought the motor in 2005

Am I correct to order "Water Pump Repair Kit with Housing for Johnson/Evinrude"?
Without taking the lower unit off first I guess I would not know if I need a new housing or not? price is not much different anyway.

I have the repair manual now thanks chemicalwire. I also have an old torn up hard copy a friend gave me.

thanks to all the positive feedback around here
(sorry to crap up the thread with so many registration paperwork complaints earlier on)

evinrude.jpg

GA_Boater

prop: 13-1/4 x 17

This boat floats so high out of the water! At rest, the water line is about at the red line in this photo, does that seem normal?

It never stopped spitting water but sounded like it kicked out of the water a few times, my previous 16' glass boat was probably sitting too low, but I would never have that condition where you hear the rpms rev up as the prop nears close, at, or on top of the water line.

No power t&t, and I have yet to play with angle manually. I had the tilt set to the 4rd hole from the transom.

so...I guess its time to change my impeller thats never been addressed since before I bought the motor in 2005

Am I correct to order "Water Pump Repair Kit with Housing for Johnson/Evinrude"?
Without taking the lower unit off first I guess I would not know if I need a new housing or not? price is not much different anyway.

I have the repair manual now thanks chemicalwire. I also have an old torn up hard copy a friend gave me.

thanks to all the positive feedback around here
(sorry to crap up the thread with so many registration paperwork complaints earlier on)

View attachment 195898

Usually the anti-ventilation or anti-cavitation plate is set so it's about even with the bottom of the boat. You might try with different trim pin settings. There is no magic hole, you just have to try them all. I raised and lowered my motor, ran thru all the trim pin holes and came up with what works best for my tinny - It took a while. Can you post a side pic of the plate and boat bottom?

On your impeller/pump, I know what to get for a Merc, but I know nada squat about Rudes. Maybe post up in the J/E forums, you'll get a straight answer in minutes over there.

As far as junking up the thread with rego probs - Hey, it's all part of getting these old gals back where they belong. Off the trailer and floating in the water. And It's your thread, so you can put anything you want. :) Except bragging on glassers. :eek: Unless it's a donor. :D

And you still have a few things to go, so you will doing more posts in it.

classiccat

You're FSM should list the RPM range (guessing 4500-5500). Max operating RPM for my '75 70Hp is 5500 (70Hp is @ 5000 RPM).

A good starting point is having the cavitation plate even with bottom of the Hull.

The water level is critical while on-plane; cav plate just below the surface of the water as long as your prop isn't ventilating and you're getting adequate cooling.

If you introduce setback (jack plate, CMC unit, etc.), then you may be able to raise it a bit.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

here's a pic with a board for a straight edge, the motor cant go any lower without a new mount of some sort, which I would like anyway for power tilt but wow are they expensive!

2013-05-28_22-06-28_637_zpsd19c07cf.jpg

BonairII

Commander

Operating range on my 1978 75hp(pretty much the same as the 70hp) is 5200-5800. I would doubt that the 70hp is only 5k....but I def could be wrong.

Your motor will probably run best when it's even(or 1" above the keel line).

My 75hp is about 2" or so above the keel line, but that's because I have CMC power trim(6" setback).

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to try it out tilted in more this weekend...that sucks it sounds like I'm going to need a jack plate. haha wait! that means I can chop my splashwell even smaller!:lol:

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

What height do you guys keep your seat pedestals at in these 18'ers? I'm still trying to decide on which set to buy

BonairII

Commander

I would mock up diff seat heights and see what you like BEFORE ordering seats.

I doubt that you NEED a jack plate. I'm guessing that you'll want to upgrade to a larger motor at some point....so I wouldn't bother with a plate. CMC power trim will work for your current motor....and any future motor you may put on your boat.

Even if you do nothing....you should be able to find good motor height without a jack plate.

GA_Boater

Your board and lower pic look ok. Play with the tilt pin. In sounds good.

Got a milk crate? Try that for starters for estimating seat height. Are you tall or short, makes a diff? My height is about 8 1/2" to the seat mount, but not an open bow. I seem to remember others used 8-10".

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

CMC power trim will work for your current motor....and any future motor you may put on your boat.
Even if you do nothing....you should be able to find good motor height without a jack plate.

I would love the CMC power trim but its so expensive, and if I do decide on another motor it will probably be nicer/newer and have power trim already.

hopefully the pin adjustment will do it.

I'm 5'8" 190 lbs
My back to back seats put me at 13" which is fine for hanging out, but I often sit on top of the back rest which puts me at 26", or stand, when I need to see over the bow better. At Night for example (haha that sounds so unsafe as i'm picturing it in my head right now)

I suppose I was wondering if I want to try to see over the window, or just go with any comfortable size at all, and plan on standing when I need look over the bow while driving... which I feel like happens a lot.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm 5'8" 190 lbs My back to back seats put me at 13" which is fine for hanging out, but I often sit on top of the back rest which puts me at 26", or stand, when I need to see over the bow better. At Night for example (haha that sounds so unsafe as i'm picturing it in my head right now)

I suppose I was wondering if I want to try to see over the window, or just go with any comfortable size at all, and plan on standing when I need look over the bow while driving... which I feel like happens a lot.

Sounds like you need an adjustable height pedestal for the helm.

The adjustment shown for a pedestal is w/out the seat itself, so you'd need to take the thickness of the seat off the 13.5" dimension you are using now @back2back, probably 4-5"+/-. So you'd want to look for a pedestal that adjusts from 8 or 9" up to 21-22". That might be tough to find. But might be worth considering................

NOT inexpensive, but here might have something. Check occasionally, S&D stuff comes & goes quick.........

BonairII

Commander

I would love the CMC power trim but its so expensive

Keep an eye out for used CMC...or a used outboard with CMC included. I lucked out finding mine. I paid $350 for a 75hp with CMC. Once I get the motor sold....the CMC will have cost me nothing.

Even if you pay $400-500 for a used CMC....it's still a better deal than paying a premium for a future motor with OEM TNT, cause it works with all motors.

classiccat

A guy with your identical engine pushing a glasser: Thread: Optimum RPM range for '82 70HP Evinrude?.

Prop it to hit 5500...which the 17 may be doing already once you put the hammer down and get the trim sorted. Maybe you'll even be able to slap a 19 on.

Is the bow running high with that trim-pin setting?

dozerII

Admiral

Congrats on the splash, boat looks great.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah bluefin the bow was kicking up way more than my glasser did. Once on plane it wasnt too bad tho.