18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

CT - I didn't see impeller mentioned in your maintenance list. You must have changed that out over 8 years. Every two years is recommended.

Do you have a fuel filter other than the screen. A worthy addition.

I just did mine in the Merc. Judging by the screws, it's never been apart. And I changed the floats and float needle just because. The only problem I had with it was a leak (drip) caused by loose plug for the air jet. I re-did the carbs because I had to pull them to get to the plug. Did they need cleaned - absolutely NOT. Clean as the the day a Merc tech built the motor in 1966. YMMV

barato2

Commander

how does it start and idle when cold? if your carbs are crudded up, the first place you'll notice it is the tiny jets in the idle circuit.....takes very little varnish to screw up flow through them and thus your air-fuel ratio, so these are sort of your "canary in the coal mine" to tell about carb cloggage. if it starts readily and runs well at idle and just off idle even when not fully warmed up, i wouldn't worry about pulling the carbs.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

while you're in there, search
"STARCRAFT Boats 1969 Vintage ORIGINAL Print Ad Offshore Fishing V-Hull Garage"

:cool:

dude in the back is thinking, "I wish this splashwell was 10" shorter"

haha, they kind of hide the giant size in that picture.

CT - I didn't see impeller mentioned in your maintenance list. You must have changed that out over 8 years. Every two years is recommended.

Do you have a fuel filter other than the screen. A worthy addition.

no and no, bought motor rebuilt from stamford boats (connecticut) in 2005
...dont laugh, i never changed the screen either
how does it start and idle when cold?
it starts and runs good despite my neglect, although I haven't started it in months... will be running it tonight

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

haha, they kind of hide the giant size in that picture.

no and no, bought motor rebuilt from stamford boats (connecticut) in 2005
...dont laugh, i never changed the screen either

it starts and runs good despite my neglect, although I haven't started it in months... will be running it tonight
I haven't changed my impeller for 3 years.... BUT, I am constantly monitoring the water pressure and water temperature. I also have a temperature sender and gauge for each head!!! I can keep a close eye on whats going on with the motor.....I still get 5-10 lbs at idle and almost 30 lbs at WOT for water pressure.... I keep a spare rebuilt lower unit on hand in case I need it, in a hurry.. but haven't felt the need with the water pressure I am getting.bob

barato2

Commander

yeah, but that plan don't work on a mid 80s OMC 70hp, where there is no water pressure to measure and usually no temp gauge. and no one is going to be changing im-ellers or lower units at sea. unless you have a kicker to limp home on in case your temp goes blooey, i'd still change it more frequently. and if you have no way of knowing, it;'s silly NOT to do it more frequently.

says the guy who's fixing to head 10 miles out to sea with a motor he ain't changed an im[peller on since the rebuild 3 yrs ago......:rolleyes:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

ct, if you pm me with your email address I can send you a .pdf of the factory service manual. I found it on a file hosting site a couple of years ago, but most of those sites have been shut down due to copyright infringement. I have the same engine with Johnson decals, and it's been really helpful to have the manual.

BonairII

Commander

Its about time I buy that manual and start treating my motor better.

Well... now that I looked again, they are only "weather proof" not sure if they will last.

Hitlights Weatherproof Cool White Flexible Ribbon LED Strip Light, 300 LEDs, 5 Meters (16.4 Feet) Spool, 12VDC Input (Adapter not included)

$18.99

Low power consumption , Super-bright but running with low temperature
The waterproof level is IP65
Every 3-LEDS cuttable without damaging the rest strips, according to your requirement
Self-adhesive back with Adhesive tape for secure and easy application
LED Type: High Quality 3528 SMD LED, high intensity and reliability

Did u have to buy a separate adapter to power them?

I want to install LEDs for some night fishing....so any advice would be great.

Your boat is looking great btw.

I saw it when it was first listed on CL....and was seriously considering making the drive to buy it.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Did u have to buy a separate adapter to power them?
No, one end of the 16' strip has bare wires ready to go, and the other end has a female 1/4 inch jack.. for whatever reason.
Cut the jack off and you have wires on both ends.

I connected the two 16' strips together and ran to my fused switch board. I also removed both 1/4 inch jacks and capped off to prevent rust.

I really am very impressed with the quantity of light they produce. However I don't know if they are right for the job, they were pretty cheap and don't say anything about boats or harsh environments.
Hopfully they last a long time, I'm just giving the disclaimer because im that guy who often buys the cheap thing that breaks 5 times before I get fustrated and buy the proper marine grade version.

I think it would be best if I fastened something up inside the gunwale where the lights would never get wet. Mine are on installed on the underside of the lip, and will get wet when rain water drips around the edge.

Your boat is looking great btw.
I saw it when it was first listed on CL....and was seriously considering making the drive to buy it.

Thanks! Its a great boat, you didn't miss out much though, I enjoyed the project and learned a ton, but better deals could be had. This thing was just so stripped down, no window,seats,starcraft logos,hardware... all gone. It would be a better deal for sure to pay a little more and get restore-able swivel seats,cushions, depth finder,radio ...even a dead motor to scrap for parts.
I had been looking for months before I picked this up...but I stupidly only looked for boats around $500

only put $1000 into new boat.
Thats the plan so far.

haha, good one

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Careful, CT. This is getting to you. You're talking to yourself. :lol:
messing with boats will do that to you!!hey CT I know what you are going through with DMV, my coworker bought a salvaged titled truck from a guy who didn't have a valid title, and they finally caught up to him a few months later saying the title isn't clean.. and he needs to get it fully inspected...so he is trying to undo the deal, but the dealer seller wants the invalid title back!!! ha ha... and my buddy has to do a ton of paperwork to get it back!!! and only he can do it what a fiasco mind boggling bob

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If he bought it from a dealer and got bad paper, I'd call the cops.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

If he bought it from a dealer and got bad paper, I'd call the cops.

yeah, the DMV wants to know why the dealer didnt charge tax!!! but my buddy doesnt want to open his mouth and say anything negative about the dealer until he gets his money back!! it was actualy the last legal title from when the wrecked truck sold at auction... and it was fixed nicely....but it needed a new title saying it was a salvaged vehicle......and the 'dealer" was selling for a guy from NJ... who bought and fixed the truck...messsy, even without the dang dmv hassles

bob

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Begin trailer saga...

Passed my VIN+safety inspection today:)

However I was sent to get a notarized affidavit of ownership and return with the trailer to be VINed before the inspector can sign off on it. Then, you also bring this affidavit to the DMV office tomorrow? off I went. (I knew I needed one but assumed only the paperwork area needed it tomorrow)

Here?s where I lost my **** again?

After I left, I notice he gave me an affidavit form and a separate set of instructions indicating the SELLER needs to fill out the affidavit and get it notarized. Or in other words, F*** F*** F*** F**K! This is not how I perceived it with the online instructions

I filled it out myself anyway, had it notarized and he accepted it. Tomorrow I hope the DMV accepts it?
Now, as im typing this I confirmed this online

DMV: Reassignment of Missing Trailer VIN
Reassignment of Missing Trailer VIN
Once eligibility is established, the purchaser of the trailer will be required to complete an affidavit.

So I guess the documents he handed me were messed up? it did look like a copy of a copy of a copy of a goonies map, so much mental frustration. I didnt want to ask anyone and have my VIN taken away...

hahah tomorrow will be my 7th trip to the DMV for the boat+trailer... counting the 3rd trip back today in an attempt to drop my boat off and get in line for the final paperwork step... 3 hour wait i was told by the huge angry mob... I left

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi, just popping in here after reading all your posts about your refurb of this grand old boat. You've done a fabulous job!!! Don't let the ol' DMV get you down; you haven't come this far to have a pesky thing like government paper-pushers stop you! :)
I'm refurbing a 1963 Rich Line 14 foot aluminum boat myself and spent last year working on the motor. After getting it running, now I want to make it pretty. My project this summer is to paint it its original color again (red with a white stripe) so I've been reading others posts about painting aluminum. I hope you don't mind sharing some tips from your recent painting experience. When you did the self-etch primer, did you just do one coat? I have seen some recommend "just a light dusting" and in other forums I've seen someone recommend three coats of the SE primer! Big difference! How many coats of the color paint did you put on? Did you use rattle cans or a compressor driven sprayer? Did you use a clear coat final coat? Last question, how long did you let it set and cure before flipping it back over? Thanks in advance!

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

DMV registration is officially done!

Hi Kathy,

First I have to credit and thank the members of this site for telling me what to use, because I was clueless to choosing the proper paint. so thanks!

Short version:

2 coats self etching primer, might have hit a few spots a 3rd time if it looked necessary.
1 coat metal primer everywhere, 2 coats white paint. waited 4 or 5 days before flipping it.
no clear coat.
used foam rollers AKA hot dog rollers, no sprayer.
used top coat paint everywhere because the boat is trailered, I read you don't need expensive bottom coat if its not left in the water, but I don't know.

It looks decent and was inexpensive, but the previous owner no doubt did a better paint job than me and had a clear coat I think. My job is not pro, but its ok... however I will soon fool you all with glossy photos from 50 ft away on a sunny day.

Long version:

sanded lightly, left 90% of the old paint because it was stuck very well.
Cleaned all with a diluted vinegar solution (not sure if this was needed or not)

Flipped boat,
Two coats of rustoleum self etching primer spray cans.

One coat of rustoleum Marine coatings white metal primer -waited 24 hours.

one coat of rustoleum Marine coatings topside paint, white. -waited 24 hours.
Next I did a second coat of paint on the bottom only so I could flip it but do touch ups before painting the sides later on.
I think it was 4 days until I flipped it, only one small area chipped.

Now for the dummy part:
I planned on semi gloss for everything to hide imperfections. Somehow I had a mix of semigloss and gloss cans and didnt know until it was 1/2 done.
I think it went like this,
Bottom is all gloss 2 coats.
Sides are 1 coat gloss around March/april , then random touch ups of semi gloss on new bolts, scratches... shameful drips I repaired.
Then "oh wait, whats with that sheen"
Then one final coat of gloss two weeks ago. Luckily the one final coat of gloss hid the mess I made very well. Also, by making this mistake it made me realize I like the gloss look anyway.

inside the boat was done consistent, and all semi gloss.

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class

"however I will soon fool you all with glossy photos from 50 ft away on a sunny day." Hahaha! Love it! Thanks for the reply and the great information, I really appreciate it! My boat is only a fourteen footer, not sure the length of yours but how much white paint did you end up using? (hope you have a great holiday weekend and are able to get outside to enjoy it. I'm in Illinois and it's in the 50's with rain all weekend...wah!)

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Mines 18'

I lost track of how much paint i used because I picked up all quarts at different times.
Inside and out, I want to guess 4 quarts of metal primer and 7 to 8 quarts of paint. 10 spray cans of self etching (that one was a surprise).

I cant really say for sure

dozerII

Admiral

Wow, can't believe the hoops you have to jump through to get a trailer registered. In Saskatchewan I just go to the DMV, tell them I have a trailer with no vin and that I completely rebuilt it. They issue me a new vin ready to pop rivet on the trailer at no charge.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

2013-05-27_20-37-37_728_zps9c6e353a.jpg

2013-05-27_20-34-06_431_zps69bed47a.jpg

2013-05-27_19-41-17_375_zpsc35d727e.jpg

it floats

jbcurt00

Staff member

All this back & forth w/ the DMV, the splash kinda snuck up on me.....:facepalm:

Congrats! Excellent, it floats :) Does it make motor noises on it's own too?

I reckon so being adrift after the sun came up. Once around the lighthouse?

Congrats again, going to have to change your sig line: It LIVES, or similar. Soon to be resurrected is no longer accurate
thumb.gif