18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

Depending on temp a quart will just do an 18' If it is cool, it will go on very thick and not go as far as when it is warm. I just hit the seams and rivet lines.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Not sure, It would be for bunker which aren't small, maybe 8 gallon tank minimum for a built in tank. Unless I find a great layout plan, I'll probably just keep a portable cooler type setup.

that might be better. some baitfish (like herring...if/when the moratorium is lifted) require a round tank which doesn't lend itself to integrated designs.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

thanks guys very informative, hah you know that saying b-o-a-t bust out another thousand. With these cheaper type restores, im not quite there but it sure seems like each step i think im going to breeze by turns into "bust out another hundred"

barato2

Commander

i know this plan.....the $6000 boat you originally paid $300 for, one trip to Ace Hardware at a time :faint2:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I stopped counting when I hit $7k. (that does include the original purchase price + $1k in new seats)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

people should take our advice right off the bat and know that that super clean , nice running 180 SS for $4K on a galvanized trailer...is a super deal.....way better than the no motor, broken trailer, rotted floor /transom. flaking paint FREE 180SS in the neighbors yard!!! which is especially true for the novice/guy with three kids playing soccer/guy with a big yard-garden/ ect ect ect......bob

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Im trying to keep it simple:

Boat+trailer -$600
sell my two old trailers for +$700
-$1000 into new boat.
(use exising stuff from old boat).

Thats the plan so far.
Just got word last night my father has free closed cell foam I can use.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey ct, lil late here but I just wanted to swing by and say sweet hull and great project:thumb:

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks!
I can't wait to try it out, I was on a starcraft once for a test run years ago. Other than that I have no idea what to expect!
Smaller fiberglass hulls is all Ive ever had.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

I'm a little confused on primers for the aluminum hull. Lets say I just go the rustoleum route.

After self etching primer on the bare spots, will any rustoleum alkaloid "metal primer" be sufficient? They seem to have a few.
I will then probably use the rustoleum topside marine gloss white all around, its not going to be docked.

Inside the boat however, is gloss going to kill the eyes in the sun?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You've got it correct. And no, I don't think you'll have an issue with gloss.

barato2

Commander

just keep in mind how well aluminum absorbs heat when you select color....it's really easy to build a tin oven without intending to

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats b my concern too thats y i have to have carpet here in nc sun is no joke on a 100 degree day n i dont wanna be splashn water on deck to stay cool lol !!!

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

wow i didnt think about the tin oven scenario, well anyway I think im going white sides and grey non skid floor

After a coat of epoxy (no csm) is there any play with the plywood or is it rock hard? Im concerned about a little warping in the plywood. If it becomes hard as a rock I might have a hard time fastening it perfrctly flat, or even getting the t&g in place

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tinnies get hot. I have very light blue and in the heat of the day, lets just say bare skin against it or the bare aluminum trim causes quite a sharp intake of breath followed by an expulsion of nasty words. It's tough to rest my arm on the gunnel when cruising. I usually wipe the arm area down with a wet cloth or towel first to cool it.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

My white washed boat is going to look boring next to all the iboats here

InMotion

Commander

Tinnies get hot. I have very light blue and in the heat of the day, lets just say bare skin against it or the bare aluminum trim causes quite a sharp intake of breath followed by an expulsion of nasty words. It's tough to rest my arm on the gunnel when cruising. I usually wipe the arm area down with a wet cloth or towel first to cool it.

No problem here in Canada..., :):smug::rolleyes:

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Nice offshore Bwana:joyous: