1965 Starcraft Starchief

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 Starcraft Starchief

Quality exterior plywood sealed in epoxy resin.

mattcap9

Seaman Apprentice

I plan to use marine plywood with an epoxy resin. With everything I have read you don't really seem to need to do the marine plywood but some believe it will last a couple extra years. More than likely not but if there is a bit of a chance i'll try it. So far removing the transom was by far the worst part with all the screws and bolts. I don't want to have to do that again. lol. I haven't saved anything from mine, Last time mine even moved was 1994. Had about 6 inches of weeds, moss, leaves etc in it. I wish I took a picture but there was about of 3 foot sapling starting to grow in the center so mine has seen better days. basically all that was good was the aluminum. Few leaky spots but nothing a little gluvit, jbweld, and a large bilge pump can't take care off haha. My engine did run when it was parked but that is seized and the ingnition and controls are shot so i haven't decided what i'm going to do there. I don't have a canopy or rails, no gauges, swithces horn lights tie offs, nothing. I assume it would be cheaper to buy a finished boat but where is the pride in that ya know.

Rick Cheloha

Cadet

Couple more questions; Is there a process to thin the epoxy resin or will it be thin enough to paint on? I have access to a Alpha 1 drive alignment tool will it work for my 1965 1A EZ shift?

My transom removal was a bit of a project also.

Thanks to anyone who can answer.

Rick C.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We have an absolutely top notch resin expert on this board and he recommend not thinning your epoxy. It is thick but you can still "paint" it on. I used those cheap chip brushes from Harbor Freight and just pitched 'em after each coat. I used 4" ones.

mattcap9

Seaman Apprentice

Before doing the resin look into gibbles thread, he had good idea using wax paper i believe. after you brush it on put the paper over it in order to keep dust and any bugs from getting stuck in it. I would ask him about it, i'm not there yet but when i get there i plan to ask him for more details myself

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

The wax paper worked great for me, and it gave everything a uniform finish.

It also allowed me to put a thicker finish on with less layers, and I was able to do two sides of a board at once.
I would say I could get down in 2 coats what it took 3-4 coats with out and the paper and with less loss.

I bought a bunch of those cheap plastic white paint guards (sold at home depot in the paint dept).
They are to be used to stick in a corner as you paint to not need tape, they were perfect for spreading the epoxy around.

Once I'm feel it's spread around as uniform as I can get, I roll a row of wax paper on. Then using the spreader I remove the air bubbles and smooth it out and push the extra epoxy down to where the next row will go, and do the same until covered.

Main trick with the wax paper, buy the name brand stuff, the off brands would not come free as clean. ;)

64osby

Admiral

I don't remember where I saw it, but there is or was a boat with a sliding top. Lone Star? Texasmade? Pretty sure the WS stayed in place and the top slid forward over it.

Just an idea if you want to add some time and expense to your project.:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Aristocraft? Sliding H/T...

Rick Cheloha

Cadet

I still think a little bit about shortening the cabin and moving it forward a bit to gain about 12" more room, probably not into the sliding thing though.

Again, any one have any idea whether the drive alignment tool for the 1965 Mercruiser 1A EZ is unique or will one that works on the Alpha 1 suffice?

Thanks,
Rick C.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Rick Cheloha

Cadet

Starting to get ready to put back together and if this works providing some pictures. Engine and drive are ready, transom wood ready, will be having a little welding done on Tuesday, replace a few rivets and then start reassembly. Research within the forumn has been a great resource.

Thanks,

003.jpg006.jpg007.jpg015.jpg017.jpg

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

lookin good!
Planning to use anything to seal the rivets (maybe I missed it)?

I skipped the Gluvit on my Jet, I have been regreting that... :D

InMotion

Commander

lookin good!
Planning to use anything to seal the rivets (maybe I missed it)?

I skipped the Gluvit on my Jet, I have been regreting that... :D

+1 on that... coming along.

I used Gluvit on the Jupiter --- sat in the water for close to 3 months... dry as a bone.

Jim

Rick Cheloha

Cadet

I filled the hull with water and only had 3 small seep areas, plan to us Coat-It on them from the inside.

Rick Cheloha

Cadet

Engine is back in and am wiring up. Does anyone know how the tilt stop switch and reverse shift lock are wired in? These wires were burnt off. I am thinking both switches are normally open and when closed ground out coil power, but not sure. This has tilt only no trim.

Thanks,

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

looking good, is that before new flooring?

Rick Cheloha

Cadet

Yes, just a skeleton, but no leaks, losing oil though in upper outdrive, maybe a seal.