1973 16' Starcraft Super Sport new to me

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Picked this old boat up yesterday.... Not bad lookin for the age. Motor has 145psi across all the top 3. gonna have to figure out how to get to that bottom plug tonight.
PO told me the electronic choke was out.. Solenoid works when I jump 12V direct so my next step is going to be the switch at the controls... then the wires....
Going to powerwashi it and then run it tonight on muffs for quite a while and make sure it restarts before I dump it on the first splash with me out in the Mississippi.

What do you guys think??

042612044.jpg

042612045.jpg

042612046.jpg

042612029.jpg

042612031.jpg

042612030.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1973 16' Starcraft Super Sport new to me

It appears to be all there. Nice score.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

She does look good, SMG. I had to rent a compression gauge from Autozone with the hose to get at the bottom plug hole. Always a PITA on a Merc. Looking for float pics. :D

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice score! Go out and have some fun with it before the seasons done!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice looking rig!

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Real nice find...great looking trailer too...love the building you have your boat in..lots of room for projects...:D

Attachments

• 2011 08 20 MY BOAT AT NIGHT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    2011 08 20 MY BOAT AT NIGHT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT M RESIZED.jpg
    2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT M RESIZED.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT S RESIZED.jpg
    2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT S RESIZED.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 10

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

~~~~16SS Nice lookin rig... I like the pedestals and the lights... Pretty much what i"m aiming for on this one.... Lights first... just cuz they are cheap and give me a reason to rectify some of the PO electricals..

I found out my issues with the electric choke. It could have been two fold, but hard to tell. The push button switch in the controls looked like the statue of liberty (Green with corrosion) a little emery cloth later and some di-electric grease fixed. Now the tach isn't gonna be working for a while because ummm well those wires were pretty much rotted away. NO insulation only the brown wire was in good shape. The white and black were pretty much toast.

I'd like to put in a new ign switch and the control cable that goes from it back to the engine. Does anyone know where I could find one? The tach wires were too close to the switch to reuse anything.
I got to looking a little more and looks like it has a brand new internal wiring harness... KEWL!

Anyways... Hope to take it out first of next week... Out of town this weekend.. bummer.... But I do get to get my motor for the cheiftain.. :)

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

These SS are a ton of fun, yours looks in good shape. The fact that the Merc has good compression and is running even better... did you check bottom cylinder compression yet? always good to know. The trailer has bunks, most guys on here will like that... looks like boat sits forward alittle too far on the bunks, not sure if that is correct or not. As long as it has proper tongue weight for towing should not be a problem. Congrats SMG

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

Real nice find...great looking trailer too...love the building you have your boat in..lots of room for projects...:D

Sorry for the hijack SMG, but I noticed Starcraft16SS has the problem as I do where to put all the fishing rods? I typically carry 6 or more rods to fish different species and depths. I have made 5 rod holders and one fish net holder out of pvc/drain pipe and I'm still short 2-3 holders. Pics are great though, cool night lights!!

emoney

Commander

Nice looking rig, congrats to you! I 2nd the trailer notion. Simple enough to adjust that winch back towards the rear a smidge, if you so choose. Shouldn't be hard to find a Merc ignition switch I wouldn't think. Don't forget the "Splash Update"!

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry for the hijack SMG, but I noticed Starcraft16SS has the problem as I do where to put all the fishing rods? I typically carry 6 or more rods to fish different species and depths. I have made 5 rod holders and one fish net holder out of pvc/drain pipe and I'm still short 2-3 holders. Pics are great though, cool night lights!!

Any Pics???

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah guys.... I think I'm going to move the winch towards the stern about 6 inches or so when I do the splash....

Going to be testing the 4th cylinder compression when i get the carbs rebuilt and the starter back on... Hopefully it's good....

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Well I got the 4th cylinder compression test completed last night while I had the lower cowling low enought to get my fitting in there.... 150psi.. so 145-150psi accross all 4 sure seems great to me. Carb rebuild is pretty much complete. Going to do the timing/sync tonight then run on muffs.. Hopefully be out on the water this weekend..
Wish me luck.. and hopefully have some splash pics.. :)

barato2

Commander

coolness. yeah, that sounds like great compression #s. altho compression can be artificially high due to carbon buildup decreasing combustion chamber volume, there's no way you'd be getting those #s if your rings and bores were in less than top shape.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good luck, SMG. Comp #s sound good. Maybe run a bit of Seafoam after you get on the water and see how she runs.

BTW It's been 10 minutes since your last post. Where are the splash pics.? Pushy? Nah. :p

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

coolness. yeah, that sounds like great compression #s. altho compression can be artificially high due to carbon buildup decreasing combustion chamber volume, there's no way you'd be getting those #s if your rings and bores were in less than top shape.

Werd..... I'm hoping this pans out to be a reliable motor....

Good luck, SMG. Comp #s sound good. Maybe run a bit of Seafoam after you get on the water and see how she runs.

BTW It's been 10 minutes since your last post. Where are the splash pics.? Pushy? Nah. :p

DOOD! Grab a beer...... Couple deep breaths!! :) I had a fuel leak issue I had to rectify today after yard and stihl weed eater duty at the house.... I bet I took that GD thin apart like 7 figgin times.... I finally found it.... Moo Betta now... No more leakie..
I plan on taking it out tomorrow whether that be solo or not.... Just tell the gal where I'll be and what times if I cant get a buddy to roll with.... The gal wanted to take video of the first start after the carb and resync but it was getting dark last night and I just pushed thru. The old girl is idling and purring just great... Hopefully it carries over to the river......

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

OK OK... I Know everybody was seriously waiting for these pics... I even had to brave the weather this weekend to get it in the Mississippi River... Hence why I don't have any real splash pics... It was drizzling when we put in and put out and I didn't want to get the camera wet as it's $$$$$!!
Check em out! I was impressed that I was able to put my knowledge from the SM and here on Iboats to make the maiden voyage a success!!!!!!
These are all after a quick 15-20mins on the water.. We got wet.. but not soaked!
IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3563.jpg

Super happy with it right now, and celebrated with a post Ice Cold Delicious Coors Light!!!
SKEWW!!!!!

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Congrats on the splash! Looks great! I agree with GA on the Seafoam, that stuff works miracles on old motors.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Forgot to mention... we met a guy with a 74 Starcraft super sport upon taking out... Was AWESOME! These ol boats are just pretty slick is all I can say.... I imagine I'll get alot more conversation starters over this vs a new bass pro anything, period....

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Well I got the SS out again last night! Super nice evening.... Check em out.
Heading upriver toward Hamburg, IL.
IMG_3564.jpg

Reverse look still tinkering with carbs....
IMG_3566.jpg

Back Down River.... At big sandbar close to put-out. Barge was heading upriver..
IMG_3574.jpg

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

Still have some things to work out.......

Enjoy!