***Solving the Year/Model Mystery***

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Beach

Commander
New folks are always contacting me with various Year/Model questions and I see posts all the time like "that bow rail or that stern light only came on the such and such model or year, so I thought I'd start a thread that just lists a few of the items we use to determine what boat you have.

Please keep in mind that most of my information covers the last couple years of the 50's, all of the 60's and about half of the 70's. After that Starcraft added so many models and variations of models it's really hard to guess what will crop up next.

This info covers aluminum Cabin boats and runabouts only. Once you inject the offshores and fishing boats, again, way too many variations and we have to look at each boat individually.

So I thought I'd start with Hull Types.

In the late 50's and the beginning of the 60's all of the models came with what Starcraft called the Semi Vee hull. That's pretty simple. It really looks almost flat at the stern. Here's a pic I stole from someone's restore thread.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Semi Vee.jpg Views:	1 Size:	29.1 KB ID:	7169236

This hull was used on all models until 1963, on the Jupiter in 64, and on all the 15 footers and smaller boats until sometime in the 70's.

In 1964 Starcraft introduced the Deep Vee hull on four models; Chieftain, Starchief, Sunchief, and Holiday (basically they only made changes to their 21'7" and 18' 4" hulls.

Since this hull was only used in the aluminum boats for one year, I couldn't find an example in the restoration forums so here's a pic from the 64 brochure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Deep Vee.jpg Views:	1 Size:	147.3 KB ID:	7169238

In 1965 Starcraft offered the Concave Vee hull on the same four models and the Jupiter. This is also the first time that Starcraft used the V designation on all of the models with the Concave Vee so it was purely a marketing designation at that point and didn't really mean anything but the hull design was cutting edge and Starcraft has used this design for many years.

Here's the picture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Concave Vee.jpg Views:	1 Size:	149.2 KB ID:	7169240

Sometime in the next few days I'll add another installment covering paint and interiors and dropped and added models.

These are all things that we use when we're trying to figure it out. Also it's not an exact science. People did things back then to make it harder on us. The po of my boat wanted to fish a lake with a 20' maximum restriction so he wrote a letter to the fish and game explaining that he was a war veteran and the manufacturer made a mistake on his title and now my boat is registered as a 20 footer instead of the actual 21'7"......:eek: I have a copy of the letter.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thought some of you newer folks might find this useful.

Great info NB, thanks.

FYI, if you're uploading pix, then clicking insert, to embed them in your post, pick a.larger size. They're tiny... open larger but in a new tab...

Check your PMs

North Beach

Commander
Thanks JB. FYI this is an old thread that I brought back up. Are you able to click on the thumbnails for the larger pics?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep, thumbs open in a new tab when clicked..

thanks

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
North Beach, can you post some more pictures of the Liquid Limo? I have a 66 and I am considering a similar set-up.

jbcurt00

Staff member
66, in your '66Holiday project topic post a notify for NorthBeach to post pix of what you'd like to see from LiqLimo

notify is done w the @ symbol and user name like this

North Beach
66Holiday924

that way pix are in your own topic for reference. If you use Firefox or Chrome, theres an extension/addon that makes ALL photobucket dead links/pix work....

Load that ext/addon and click NBs Suncheif link at the bottom of his posts in the signature block and you'll be taken to his rebuild topic w pix, no waiting.

NB, if you havent noticed, the photobucket debacle has wrecked forums across the internet, here included.....

North Beach

Commander
So can anyone tell me if I pay for the $99 option at photobucket will my pics reload here? I'm considering it because I think my build thread has a bunch of useful info in it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
So can anyone tell me if I pay for the $99 option at photobucket will my pics reload here? I'm considering it because I think my build thread has a bunch of useful info in it.

I dont know, maybe......

If I want to see PB nuked pix, I load Firefox w the 'fix PB' extension/addon..

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I enjoy reading anything about Starcraft boats and to see pics makes it that much more enjoyable.

On the PB issue I replaced every pic in my 3 threads using MS Onedrive, no way I was going to allow my work to become lost.

North Beach

Commander
Well unfortunately, I would go into my office each evening back when I was doing the LL marathon rebuild and load pics directly into PB. I used that service for years. Then somehow I missed the announcement about pay as you go and my pics are l,ocked up-close to 700 of them! So I spent the day this past sunday downloading them one at a time.....

But I still have one problem-any pic that I'm sharing on a forum like the one here at iBoats, will not download! Cursed Bastages!!!!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You can download your entire folders at once from PB.

jbcurt00

Staff member
But I still have one problem-any pic that I'm sharing on a forum like the one here at iBoats, will not download! Cursed Bastages!!!!
What browser are you surfing iboats w?

Chrome or Firefox have an extension/addon that 'fixes' broken PB links so pix are visable.....

Topics are mostly open for editting so you can go back to any posts w broken PB links in Chrome/Firefox and save posted pix and edit the post, delete PB linked pix and upload saved pix all at the same time...

Status
Not open for further replies.