1979 Starcraft Super Sport 18 ft

richardlee

Seaman Apprentice
I posted a thread last summer. I had just purchased an 18' Super Sport. I posted as a 1987 because that is what the Mich registration said. When I posted a pic, someone thought it was a late 70s. It turned out to be a 1979. I will post a few pics from start to presently where I am at. I still need to replace the transom. I am missing the port side window. I still need to figure out all the wiring. I painted the blue trim today. Hope to get the rest of the boat painted soon. Not going to be easy painting on the trailer, but I may be able to lift it some. Painting was not part of my original plan. For some reason I can't load pics. Attachment manager has my old pics but won't allow me to add new ones.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1979 Starcraft Super Sport 18 ft

hopefully you get the pics to load up we would love to see your progress.

barato2

Commander

looks good, but why did you change your mind about doing the transom?

richardlee

Seaman Apprentice

I almost have the transom out. I had originally thought it was a 3 piece and I was correct. The top portions on each side came out easily. The bottom portion seems to be stuck, perhaps swollen. It was in pretty bad shape. I plan to put in a one-piece transom which means I will need to undo the side top rails and bend them back a little. I had a seat and needle valve replaced on the top carb and the mechanic had a bunch of old boats out in his field. He gave me a complete windshield. Not original Starcraft, but it will work for the price. Still investigating on the type of paint I will use. Some recommend Rustolem top coat, others have had problems with it. Hopefully will have this done in a month.

barato2

Commander

glad you're making progress. yeah, you will have to bend or cut those ears off to get trans out. if you can get under the bottom of trans up under splashwell and get in there with a big prybar or 2, you can work it out by levering up one side then the other then repeat x as much as needed. i used 1x2 oak boards to pry and they worked great.

shadetree_fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good!!!

Hey, THOUGHT I was looking at my boat for a minute... I just bought a 79 SS180 bout a month ago! Yours & mine are EXACT matches, Color, Trailer, & from your pics u have a merc 115H.P. OB? Same as mine. Pretty cool, But mine needs total resto!!!! Good job so far & best of luck!!!

Mike

richardlee

Seaman Apprentice

Looking good!!!

Hey, THOUGHT I was looking at my boat for a minute... I just bought a 79 SS180 bout a month ago! Yours & mine are EXACT matches, Color, Trailer, & from your pics u have a merc 115H.P. OB? Same as mine. Pretty cool, But mine needs total resto!!!! Good job so far & best of luck!!!

Mike

I have not worked on mine all year. Our son got married summer 2013 and I spent 2 months during evenings and weekends helping him with some remodeling at his house. At the end of that we found out my wife had cancer. So after the wedding she had more tests, surgery, and treatment. I retired this fall so hope to work on this spring. I had the motor working great and had it pulled while replacing the transom. When I had the motor reinstalled, I had no spark to any cylinder. I had done some checking and had spark where I checked. I have a list of other places to check. I hope you are having fun restoring yours. A lot of work. Mine was totally gutted when I bought it.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Congrats on the wedding & retiring. Hope you don't find it to be that you're busier then ever once retired :facepalm:

We'll have good thoughts for your Admiral's speedy recovery & long term prognosis.

If you continue to have motor problems, post up in the correct motor thread, lots of helpful folks hanging out there.

When you get to it, keep us up to date on the boat progress. Many find it therapeutic to work on a boat project, hope it serves you well.

richardlee

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Have finally had time to work on the boat. Earlier in the summer I pulled the mercury kill switch and that seemed to solve the electrical problem. Have been pretty busy with other projects. Our son and daughter-in-law are having a baby any day so I have spent a lot of time at their house doing projects before the baby is born. Plus I have been out-of-town a lot. I had it out once and had a fuel starvation problem. Rebuilt fuel pump and have not had time to get it out again. Really takes 2 to launch and finding someone to help has not been easy. I have been starting it this week and doing some last minute work. Hopefully in the next week or 2 I can get it out on the lake. I still need to paint the hull.