180 SS New to the Forums.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The radio, sounds like a bunch of extra work for something a guy hopes he never needs but good peace of mind just in case there's no cell coverage. I have nobody to talk to on a VHF around here so no reason to add one.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
The radio, sounds like a bunch of extra work for something a guy hopes he never needs but good peace of mind just in case there's no cell coverage. I have nobody to talk to on a VHF around here so no reason to add one.

Yeah, where I am I would use the VHF while on the local salt water here. If I go out on the water with any of my friends, it's a great two way communication to coordinate fishing.

As far as cell service surprisingly in my area there is spotty coverage. Which, in a way makes me confused as the state I live in is the most densely populated state and in the top 10 for flatness. :facepalm:

I hope I never need to use the radio for bad reasons.

I did finish mounting the radio, and I went to mount the antenna but I found that there was some damage to the antenna and the cable. I ordered a new 8 footer that will arrive at some point. The old one, I'll try to make serviceable to possibly dabble with on the roof of the shop. Makes for a solid antenna for regular radio.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's getting bad. Since I restored the deck ski hatch, and the console hatch. I am cooking up ideas on how to do a gauge back panel, and of course new gauges because what is one without the other?

I was looking at the Faria Chesapeake SS series and Lido Series by SeaStar

More to come. Mulling things over. :)

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Oh, this is looking droolworthy. I cant wait to get to work on mine, but it will be a long process over several winters

Watermann

I'm really into the Faria set that has a GPS speedo, be nice to not have a pitot and tubing, not too mention the accuracy.

61Zxw5Wx6jL._SL1200_.jpg

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
That GPS tied speedometer is tempting. I will probably skip that gauge for this build. Going Tac,T&T, Volt, and Fuel.

I am working on the build layout for the dash. I dismantled and cleaned up the old teak from the swim deck that I won't be using. FUN stuff. The Yankee spirit of Norm Abram. I don't know if I want to install it before or after I am sure the OB is running well.

Watermann

Does your OB motor have a sender for a T&T gauge? I can see it for an IO since you can't just look back to see the drive but an OB you can see the motor and it's tilt angle.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does your OB motor have a sender for a T&T gauge? I can see it for an IO since you can't just look back to see the drive but an OB you can see the motor and it's tilt angle.

Oh yeah she came with that feature. It currently has a working T&T gauge. I just don't like the look of the hodgepodge gauges I have now. The new gauges are on the way. I am plotting the background decking.

As far as T&T with OB, I always like tweaking with T&T for more RPM, smoother ride or higher top speed.

I once had my Dad's 22 footer with a pilot house at 50 mph. The bad side was the wheel felt terrible as the free board still in the water could be measured in inches. I don't like that feeling, and I'll probably only taking my boat to 25-28 max. Not interested in chine walk or other potential problems.

This dash rethink is kind of veering off of the project completion but it should look really nice once I get there.

Watermann

Most the trim angle gauges I've seen don't have enough marks on them to use as a guide for how much trim angle you have. I always go by RPMs and boat handling depending on the conditions.

There's no way without way over powering to get one of these dead rise SS hulls to chine walk, they don't have a padded hull.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Glad to read about the Chine walk.

My gauges came in last week, I am going through layout and setup on the teak boards I restored. They were rough...

I should have the gauges working and installed by the end of the week. Then, there will be pictures.

Sometimes, I feel like I am adding more work, just to perpetuate this project. I know that, once I finish this project, I'll want to start a new project. I cannot afford MBS! :lol:

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Watermann and Astor, you two are enablers. If I had the room in the garage I'd consider the MBS. Possibly add an addition to the back/lower 40... :lol:

Then again people in my area keep selling 25 foot center consoles that make me curious for some Delaware Bay and Atlantic Ocean fishing. If I did that, then I'd need to buy a bigger truck to pull it. etc. etc.

Back to the project. I again am a little late on the project here. It seems like there is always something else coming up to slow down the progress. It's been seven years now, what's a few more right? I had to remodel a room, take care of school work (who said college was hard? :nerd:) and deal with family shenanigans.

The next part I'm working on is the backsplash/gauge display for the new fancy gauges. I hope to have everything installed shortly. Thank goodness for the garage to allow me to pause my work and pick up where I left off with only having to deal with a tiny bit of accumulated dust.

Again, I hope to have pictures soon, it looks good so far, and it made good use of the long weathered teak from my swim platform.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
I installed the new gasket on the cowl. I used a gasket glue as apposed to the staples that the manufacturer used.

Xlsy4dg.jpg

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a dash compass. I know they are a bit dated with the advent of GPS, and on lakes they don't make a lot of sense but any boat over 15 ft that I've been on had a compass.

gzk1xH3.jpg

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Now to the good stuff.

I wasn't going to utilize the swim platform as my long leggedness (new word) doesn't haul well out of the water ha-ha.

Here is the weathered mess I started with...
PrrxMaP.jpg

The breakdown was not an easy process. I was happy with the amount of material I had to work with and I was eager to see what was under the weathered material.

5VvW6l6.jpg

During the break down this one tried to fall apart on me. Some cleaning at the break and some good marine grade wood glue (I kind of call BS on marine grade. I've seen Elmer's last on a boat no issue, but I was curious about the product.). If anyone wants information on the glue I used, let me know.

Yk1UTtf.jpg

Here is a before and after kind of feel after a quick rip on the table saw.

w9isdtc.jpg

After glue up and when I placed it over the dash, I realized I need to add the last piece I cut.

zSyHt5y.jpg

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also, some eye candy with the gauge types.

JoLfrHR.jpg

I just noticed the glue up of the dash behind the gauge.

I have it in place here for the gauge line ups.

ZvKpisb.jpg

I cut out the gauge holes using a hole saw. I also used my band saw to cut the ends and then my drum sander to round the edges.

SVF19o8.jpg

I applied the stain and I think it came out pretty nicely.

6e8Jgdb.jpg

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gauge placement. I like the look.

0cVwucl.jpg

I ordered a new steering wheel because I can't seem to get the original restored.

qCojbcm.jpg

I think they pair nicely.

5TgKNpR.jpg

I have more plans to add more wood looks elsewhere. I really like the look.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Nice job re-purposing that wood DH! turned out really sharp!