180 SS New to the Forums.

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
HI there Two Questions:

Got a photo of the finished rear compartments under the spashwell?

What brand paint for the white motor?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Moeller Johnson white. https://www.iboats.com/shop/moeller...RQMsvu_cCifxtgWelPBEJlh-bJjNwNShoCiAIQAvD_BwE

IB00297513.jpg

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am writing to say hello, and that I am still working on the boat.

It's a funny thing for me to work on this project. I keep finding things to add, or modify, and the bright side is that I am going to hopefully enjoy it more due to the extreme slowness. Yeah, I'll go with that argument.

I hope to get some work in this weekend.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some hatches. Fun stuff!

WGpLR3K.jpg

This is my initial test fit.

etUArMQ.jpg

I have here my next hatch test fit.

nUQTvu2.jpg

Now all three covered.

ADU38Vx.jpg

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
It isn't perfect but the hatches fit snugly.

Here are some photos of the loop webbing I decided to use.

d4VLsHj.jpg

Here are a few shots of the hatches.

xH2cpZP.jpg

IjSp73Q.jpg

My kids love to sit on the bow deck and watch me work in my garage.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've also placed the stern deck supports. I don't plan to have anyone stand here for an extended period of time but I'd rather be satisfied that my aluminum won't bend under the weight of someone standing there.

j1FBIMm.jpg

It's not shown in the photo but each side of the deck has a piece of plywood that mirrors the shape of each deck. All of these pieces are sealed with 3 coats of epoxy. After I am done dealing with fuel lines, filters, mounts, and electrical. I'll see about building temporary forms for pour in foam. This will add flotation to each side of what will be the heaviest portion of the boat.

I'll be placing my fuel filter on the port side.

VP5DjpO.jpg

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am also working on the engine and systems battery tray. The wood's sealed but I am still plotting how I want to mount the bracket. I am also building custom rod under gunnel storage.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Finishing touches it looks like to me, you're not too far off from a splash. Nice fit on those hatches :thumb:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
She's really comin' along there DH! The bow area looks cozy! :cool:

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
looking real good harry , curious as to adhesive you used for your carpet to aluminum, and also carpet to epoxed wood?

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks!

looking real good harry , curious as to adhesive you used for your carpet to aluminum, and also carpet to epoxed wood?

I am using a contact cement. It works really well on exterior surfaces that are constantly exposed to heat, cold and the elements. I took that information and judged that it would hold well on a boat that will live indoors when not in use.

Time will tell if the adhesive holds.

What will work in my favor is that a lot of the larger surfaces are held down at the edges with trim or have additional adherence with other fasteners that hold other items down.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
PROGRESS!

I have here one battery tray, formally installed over the bilge. Seemed solid enough. A little foreshadowing. I ran into an issue of time lost and forgotten install method.

NZZHGwO.jpg

Sealed the battery tray, the throttle control mount and my fuel/water separator mount.

FOvVq5L.jpg

I ran into a slight issue due to the use of thicker and better plywood for my dash.

sLAVB3N.jpg

It was due to old steering wheel spacer.

MM6zAQl.jpg

So, I bought a sheet of 1/2 plastic and made my own.

oMtLxHc.jpg

Much better.

htxDVKA.jpg

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Concept dash layout. The wheel isn't installed yet, just some ideal layout.

r8Gv0fy.jpg

Next up, we get into wiring.

I saved the old work to just get an idea of how things were before I demoed the boat.

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS MESS... WHY!?!?!

at8f4Xc.jpg

Quick! Which wire does what?

QCYtHUB.jpg

I got out my trusty volt meter, checked my voltage and I'll be redoing the wiring. All copper is "tinned" and all ends are heat shrink ready.

More to come.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Hindsight is always 20:20 (Wire labels/tags) :lol:
at8f4Xc.jpg

Seeing that reminded me of this super-safe harness tape machine.

I'm willing to bet that there are hashmarks somewhere keeping track of the # of digits that it claimed! :eek:

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
That harness I showed had the previous owners fish finder and or GPS tied to it with blue wire bridging connectors. There wasn't even a fuse block. :rolleyes:

Maybe I am just old fashioned to expect a fuse block.

I may not do my work to industry code, but I definitely do the work to allow for isolation. It's easier for me to manage and easier to spot possible points of failure.

I haven't decided on what wrapping I'd want to use.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see what you meant by super safe tape machine.
Holy cow. My fingers hurt just picturing all of the wrong that might happen while using that tool.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Small update.
So, over the time spent on this project. I've misplaced? Yeah, we'll go with misplaced my mounting bolts to the throttle controls. I did a hunt for the replacement bolts to make my life "easier". No luck. Heck, time to check the Home Despot.

Wouldn't you know it. My luck turned a little to my favor.

sUr0hKO.jpg

Yes, the bolt is fully threaded with no shoulder but it fits in the hole. It's more than long enough for what I need in mounting the controls and I have rubber washers to act as a stand in for the plastic spacer. :rolleyes:

I was pondering my next concern (there are many!) and decided to plan out my radio mounting. It was a free radio from my Dad and I don't look a gift horse in the mouth. The radio lacks a U bracket. I take a peek online to see plastic U brackets, metal adjustable brackets.

Heck with that! I'll just take some flat bar aluminum and make my own.

DdYVgEb.jpg

0TrFtgA.jpg

Primer and paint.

A84cpmH.jpg

5j33orI.jpg

Have a good day folks. I am getting there. Slowly.