I got another Starcraft, SF 14 LW

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Well, I was casually looking and happened to come upon a CL ad last night just after it was posted. I called and it seemed to good to be true. I went after work to check it out today and took it home. The ad didn't show the inside, just the outside and the motor, and not knowing much about these styles I was very surprised when I got there. Its a 1995 Boat with a 2003 Mercury 9.9 2 stroke. An older guy owned it and said the motor hasn't even burned 6 gallons since new. It was used once a year. Anyway, here it is:

5508fa57.jpg

0e2987fe.jpg

My wife was thrilled!

f05e935f.jpg

The boat also came with an electric trolling motor, new battery, galvanized Karavan trailer with spare, a full matching canvas cover and bows, lights, built-in live well, and paddle. Not bad for 14 Benjamin's!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: I got another Starcraft, SF 14 LW

Not bad for 14 Benjamin's!

Get the &^*% out of here. Seriously. You got that for HALF it's worth. That's a friggin' $1000 motor. Also the cleanest small tinnie I've seen. Un-friggin'-believable.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's how ya do it, DJ. Call and deal as soon as you see the ad. The rig looks great. I guess the resto is a wash and tire black - If it even needs it. I hope you took the mask off by now cause you stole it! :D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Get the &^*% out of here. Seriously. You got that for HALF it's worth. That's a friggin' $1000 motor. Also the cleanest small tinnie I've seen. Un-friggin'-believable.

So, ya like it eh? LOL. I thought his asking price was fair, so I didn't try to chew him down...

There is one weird thing about it, on the outside and on the registration it's labeled as a 14' SF LW, but the capacity plate says 16 SF LW. Kind of a bad oops by Starcraft having the capacity and max HP of a larger boat on a smaller boat.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

No rebuild thread on this one, just add water, how cool is that:D

Nice score Dave:)

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you sleep ok after taking advantage of the poor guy? :p. Nice score!

64osby

Admiral

Way to go Dave. Looks brand new. Nice you found something to play on the water. The two stall boat house looks great.

barato2

Commander

nice score! but i give the 2 stall boat house until about the next rainy spell, when SWMBO decides she'd rather be getting into her car in a dry garage.....

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Can I trailer with the trolling motor clamped on or not?

d17a5444.jpg

Or do I just lay it in the bottom of the boat?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Sure you can haul it clamped on, I'd just tilt it up some:)

jbcurt00

Staff member

No rebuild thread on this one, just add water, how cool is that:D

Did you sleep ok after taking advantage of the poor guy? :p. Nice score!

That's how ya do it, DJ. Call and deal as soon as you see the ad. The rig looks great. I guess the resto is a wash and tire black - If it even needs it. I hope you took the mask off by now cause you stole it! :D

Outstanding deal, great find, well done. Shortest dry dock stay EVER! Less then 6gals of gas have ever been through the carbs, since 2003? What's that, less then 2/3's of a gallon per year?:facepalm: That's a short trip, even only once per year, and even on a 9.9hp. Guess it was all up river & drift back....

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Outstanding deal, great find, well done. Shortest dry dock stay EVER! Less then 6gals of gas have ever been through the carbs, since 2003? What's that, less then 2/3's of a gallon per year?:facepalm: That's a short trip, even only once per year, and even on a 9.9hp. Guess it was all up river & drift back....

Yeah, could be BS for all I know. Story was one trip a summer to Pickeral Lake (Michigan). I does look it though...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Keep the story, BS or not, makes it an even bigger killer deal, so much the better. Everybody will be W/ ENVY!.....

It'll be your 'old, been in the garage for years, 1950's chevy, listed for sale at $500', and then it turns out to be a mint 1957 corvette convertible...:cool:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Can I trailer with the trolling motor clamped on or not?

Or do I just lay it in the bottom of the boat?

Tilt it up a bit but most importantly slide it up in the mount. That will give the heavy lower way less leverage on the mount when trailering. If you don't, it absolutely will break the mount.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Tilt it up a bit but most importantly slide it up in the mount. That will give the heavy lower way less leverage on the mount when trailering. If you don't, it absolutely will break the mount.

Thanks, that's how I have it now.

Test ride today!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Successful sea trial! Took it to Spring Lake (Michigan). It planed out with me (240lbs) and my Dad (170) nicely and topped out at 18.5 mph. We were out an hour or so. Motor ran perfect. I have to free up the keel rollers though, as it was a pain launching without getting our feet wet. Only got a couple pics.

fce12306.jpg

a74649ea.jpg

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When we going fishing?