I got another Starcraft, SF 14 LW

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: I got another Starcraft, SF 14 LW

Great, another successful splash! Congrats, underway w/ no wind & on smooth water, ya might break 20mph:D Looking good! I bet it was nice to have your dad along for a trip out in the new SC, if only for an hour.

I can't wait to trade places w/ Pop, take him out in my boat(s), be at the helm & let him catch all the fish. Just like he did for me when I was growing up:)

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice deal on a nice boat. since you have this new perfect boat, that worthless old 22 v5 is of no use to you. I will gladly take it off your hands and save you some hassle.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Let me check my calendar....... yep, anytime.

Where would we go? My only fishing pole and couple pieces of tackle are in my travel trailer which won't be home for a couple weeks. I'm so not a fisherman, (yet). :D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

After our ride Saturday I pulled the boat off the trailer and set it in the grass to fix the keel rollers. They were pretty weathered so I picked up 3 new ones at West Marine. I also put a new rope and hook on the winch. Oh, found out the trailer tilts as well which made it a breeze to drop it in and load from the yard. After I got that all done, I jacked each wheel up to check the bearings, one quiet, one noisey. So tonight went to TSC and replaced the one side. One of the races was pitted.

My Dad and I want to take it from Grand Rapids to Grand Haven down the Grand River when the weather warms up. It's roughly 25-30 miles. He's done it years ago, but I never have.

I've mentioned this before but my Dad worked for Michigan Marine in the late '60's and early '70's delivering Starcrafts all over Michigan. He said the dealers sold every Starcraft they got. He said a lot of the time they were sold before they got to the dealer. It was common to have the smaller boats stacked 5-6 tall two or three deep on the semi trailer and u sually had two of the cuddy models stacked above the cab because they were too wide to fit between the racks on the trailer. He waited many times to cross the Mackinaw bridge because of the tall loads and wnd. He remembers one other driver failed to check the height before he left and caught a bridge by a couple inches. Two SC's had their bows punched in. It was common to have to get off the expressway to avoid going under some overpasses. He had a '67 JetStar at one time and really liked that boat. Just a little SC story.

What's the aluminum channel for on front of the bench?

5226ea57.jpg

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I would like to find the seat mounts that go with this track. Any ideas? It's not one of the popular ones you can get anywhere.

3f20081a.jpg

27aa64be.jpg

dd310217.jpg

The only thing I can find that uses a track the whole width of the bench is what comes on some Lowe boats. I may check with the local Lowe dealer tomorrow.

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

Great looking boat and cool stories from your dad!!! Was going to answer on what the channel was for but you figured it out already.

BonairII

Commander

If it were me, I'd mount the trolling motor on the bow. It can be done easily. Makes controlling boat easier...and having the battery up front will distribute weight better.

Just food for thought.

Nice rig.....and a great price!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I was right, my seat rail was from a Lowe, and the local dealer had the matching plates on hand.

3798daa5.jpg

Then picked up two swivels and two Wise seats at Meijer.

95ac3602.jpg

The plates work great without the 1/2" thick vinyl wrapped board that goes on top of my benches, so I'll have to do a little modification so I can keep the seat tops on. I can also reinforce them some as they flex a little more than I like.

Overall shot of the seats...

06dc7f2a.jpg

dozerII

Admiral

Real nice little boat DJ, the seats look real good.
Glen

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You're going to love having those seats. We have way crappier ones for my dad's 14' and even those make a world of difference.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I picked up a 1993 15hp Evinrude with electric start Tuesday night for the 14'er. The 2003 Mercury 9.9 was adequete, but more is better, right? The 9.9 would push it 18mph, the 15 will get it up to 23 and the hole shot is WAY better. I know, this is a fishing boat, but, i'm more of a sight see-er right now. Haven't actually fished out of it yet but my girls are excited to go. I need to get some stuff. I tell ya though, the Merc is a VERY nice motor, the shifting on the tiller is really nice, but the Evinrude makes more smiles! I'll snap a few pics by the weekend.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I been working on the little boat off and on, wiring mainly. Added a fuse panel, bilge pump and switch, fish finder, and battery box.

20ae1a2d.jpg

fc64f434.jpg

052776ec.jpg

Also notice the matching Evinrude 15 with electric start, perfect match power wise. Sold the Merc 9.9 and came out even, free upgrade!

This boat is all gas and go now.

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love where you put the switches and how neat all the wiring is.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I forgot, added a power port as well up in the storage compartment.

449bd919.jpg

Now I could prop up my IPhone with the screen locked on viewing my Navionics Chart app. Yep, a chart plotter on a 14'er....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

DJ - You made one sweet rig there. Really got some nice work on the electrics. And the rest of the boat too. She's gonna be a lot of fun.

Yep, a chart plotter on a 14'er....

I don't see a problem. But you're gonna see fish. ;)