1973 Starcraft Chieftain owner.. SKEWWWWWIE!

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1973 Starcraft Chieftain owner.. SKEWWWWWIE!

Do you all think a 305 or even 350 would be just way to much for this little tin boat? don't wanna put too much stress on it.... but ya know... ruh rooh rooh roooh.. more power!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't think it would be too much.

barato2

Commander

agree. the weight will be within 50# of the Stovebolt. i'd be open between that and a 4.3; whichever you find the best deal on.

i know CL can be frustrating. when i needed a donor, i actually placed my own ad seeking one rather than try to buy one that was advertiised since i figured that lots of the prospects are sitting in back yards. for the ad: "No title? no problem! rotted interior? no problem! soft floors or transom? no Problem!" lots of people don;t even bother advertising their dead boat but would be willing to part with it if they knew the buyer didn't care about title for hull/trailer. i paid $650 and got a great 140hp drivetrain, alum gas tank and lots of hardware, and a trailer that we've now converted to a motorcycle/utility trailer. AND THE JOY OF KILLING A GLASSER WITH THE SAWZALL...............:D:D:cool:

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

agree. the weight will be within 50# of the Stovebolt. i'd be open between that and a 4.3; whichever you find the best deal on.

i know CL can be frustrating. when i needed a donor, i actually placed my own ad seeking one rather than try to buy one that was advertiised since i figured that lots of the prospects are sitting in back yards. for the ad: "No title? no problem! rotted interior? no problem! soft floors or transom? no Problem!" lots of people don;t even bother advertising their dead boat but would be willing to part with it if they knew the buyer didn't care about title for hull/trailer. i paid $650 and got a great 140hp drivetrain, alum gas tank and lots of hardware, and a trailer that we've now converted to a motorcycle/utility trailer. AND THE JOY OF KILLING A GLASSER WITH THE SAWZALL...............:D:D:cool:

Hey ya know what? That is a good idea.. I got me a CL wanted ad in this AM.. :) keep the ol fingers crossed for me. I'm pulling the rest of the cabin out tonight... Hopefully more pics... I want the to gluvit all the floors and clean up all the crude in the bottom... put my pink foam in blah blah blah.. I know, i know.. quit rambling.. and lets see some pics..... geez.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Kill the Glasser..Kill the Glasser

starcraftmob.jpg

barato2

Commander

how am i supposed to believe that mob is a threat to any glasser when i don't see a sawzall or chainsaw in the bunch?

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Well got the cabin walls down as well as one more section of floor. Gotta take the aluminum seats/storage boxes out maybe tomorrow and the rest of the floor.... Those walls took alot longer than I expected.. practically had to use the cutting wheel and my cold chisel on all them.......

Been thinkin about how to maybe redo the cabin a bit.. but not really sure what to do yet.. So if you all with Chiefs have any pics of yours finished... lets see what you have done.....

Last edited:

barato2

Commander

i've never seen a cabin done in hose. do you mean garden hose or backseamed black thigh highs? ;)

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

i've never seen a cabin done in hose. do you mean garden hose or backseamed black thigh highs? ;)

Hmmmmm.. I do like black thigh highs.. hehe:)

I got all my demo done tonight!!! Boo YEAHH!!!!!!

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

ok.. I did a bit more cleaning with some brushes and simple green..... This is what the inside of the hull looks like right now. Thoughts? Is it looking good enough to do my gluvit??? I'm thinking maybe dark smoke gray for the inside the cabin... What has anyone else used??

100_1244.jpg

100_1245.jpg

100_1246.jpg

100_1247.jpg

100_1248.jpg

100_1249.jpg

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Split for some boring pics...
100_1250.jpg

100_1251.jpg

100_1252.jpg

100_1253.jpg

100_1254.jpg

Same scrubbing on the ol transom... There is some pitting but I have plans to sand and fill with something....
100_1255.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Your hull cleaned up nice man:)

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That is super clean. Nice work. I haven't painted inside my cabin yet, but I'm going with original white. I'm a lousy painter and figure I can do a better job if I don't have to try to cover up with another color.

halfmoa

Ensign

I just finished reading you heart breaking thread. Sorry to hear about the driveline but I'm curious if you've gotten any takers on your CL wanted ad. If you can get a boat free you're got nothing to lose but I'd be afraid of getting even 50 bucks tied up in another catastrophe! Just wondering how your experience has been. Any calls/emails yet? (yeah, I know it's only been a few days)

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

I just finished reading you heart breaking thread. Sorry to hear about the driveline but I'm curious if you've gotten any takers on your CL wanted ad. If you can get a boat free you're got nothing to lose but I'd be afraid of getting even 50 bucks tied up in another catastrophe! Just wondering how your experience has been. Any calls/emails yet? (yeah, I know it's only been a few days)

I haven't had one email or anything on the ol craigslist wanted ad... Which kinda bites, I've went and taken a few 2-3k priced 4.3l fiberglass boats and all I can say is the ol' mag light saved me on about all occasions. 2 of them had cracked blocks as well.... Maybe only externally as the oil was black as coal.... I guess ppl these days just put gas in stuff and run it till it blows up and then think they still have something...... worth more than scrap....

So, in the mean time I hope to have the inside and cabin all ready for maybe when I do find a donor boat..... Got a few feelers out with other ppl as well.... Heck I've had 2 ppl come and try to buy the boat from me already..... lol Don't see to many of them down here. So that kinda helps rekindle the boat motivation...

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Managed to put some primer down on the inside of the cabin this week. I also used some of that rusto stone creations grey/black/blue lookin speckly stuff like I seen another boater on the site use. I think I'll need one more can to make it look really good on the gunnels. I like it.. Super easy looks good and functional..

On deck for this weekend is to cut the transom, gluvit the inside and if metal supply store is open on sat., grab me 3 4x8 sheets of diamond plate for the floors.. I'm at home all weekend so hopefully a productive one.. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

zigzag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

modify that transom and get yourself an outboard!! ...problem solved

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

modify that transom and get yourself an outboard!! ...problem solved

I hear ya man.. I hear ya... Maybe when I get super frustrated with craigslist and other boats for sale I'll look at how to even go about doing something like that....

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

OK... well I made some good progress today on my big bad 34th B-day here in the ShowMeState...... Got my Gluvit about 80%.... I picked up the gallon container of it and from the looks of it I'm gonna have a "SheetTon" of this leftover....
I could do another coat and still have prolly way over half of it all left.... I know I don't have pics tonight but will in the AM. Gets me to thinking maybe I'm putting it on there too thin?
Anyways... Happy B-day to me.... Time for a WhiskeyN7UP.