1973 Starcraft Chieftain owner.. SKEWWWWWIE!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 Starcraft Chieftain owner.. SKEWWWWWIE!

Well, When i drained the oil it had quite a bit of water that came out first..

Hmmmm, well that doesn't sound very promising.

Do you see any cracks on the outside? Water coming out of places it shouldn't?

Spose it doesn't hurt to run er some more to find out for sure what we got going on eh.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Pics of the external crack.. well just cuz I got em and I'm a photo fanatic.
032712002.jpg

Clean up parts and pieces from the inner transom plate stuff.
032712004.jpg

032712005.jpg

032712008.jpg

Well I don't see how you all can strip an entire boat using strippeer...> This totally sux.. I was just trying to get the stern done.....
032712010.jpg

Inside deck area... just cuz... I like posting pics.. blAM!!!
032712011.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Guy, here is one thing I have learned about the paint deal on these alum boats...

Stripping and going to bare alum and then painting again poses a bit of a problem. See, getting stuff to stick to bare alum can be a bit of a challenge. The key is in the prep! If you plan to repaint it may be to your advantage to just lightly sand smooth and then prime/paint from there. Just be sure to Zinc Chromate any bare stuff.

You hull came out really clean:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That crack is friggin' huge. That plus the water in your oil removes all optimism. Don't waste anymore time on that block. Stick a fork in it, it's done.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Guy, here is one thing I have learned about the paint deal on these alum boats...

Stripping and going to bare alum and then painting again poses a bit of a problem. See, getting stuff to stick to bare alum can be a bit of a challenge. The key is in the prep! If you plan to repaint it may be to your advantage to just lightly sand smooth and then prime/paint from there. Just be sure to Zinc Chromate any bare stuff.

You hull came out really clean:)

Well, I'm wanting to polish out and seal from just above whatever that rib is that starts off in the rear right where it makes that close to 90deg turn and goes up. From there down I'm thinking about paint from there down.. but not sure what color.... But whatever it is i want it to be tough as nails for beaching up gravel bars and sandbars etc.... We will see what I come up with.. This was just to try it out and see how hard it is gonna be to polish it up and seal it... Heck I may just quit and leave it all OEM and only polish the stern with my fancy boat name stencil.. ;) Yup.. you betcha... gotta make sure my boat has a nice lookin butt.. umm hmmm.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Well after cleaning up the lower unit on the stern drive I notice and find yet one more dagger into the drivetrain of this old tin boat.... Big crack on the front of the torpedo looking piece were the prop goes. I think I'm throwing in the towel on this drive train... If anyone I looking for parts of an old Mercruiser 165 with a MC-1 sterndrive let me know.... As they will be up on ebay in the next few weeks while I think about what to do for a driveline...

dozerII

Admiral

SMG, too bad on the cracked block, I was going to say something when I saw the first photo of the motor but wasn't quite sure. That is a great boat you have there. Mar-hyde aluminum aircraft stripper makes short work of even the most stubborn paint.
Glen

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=530733&page=4&highlight=Donor
Keep an eye out on this thread!
Was it the old Chevy II that had the same I6? Hope you can find a donor block on the cheap!
This is why I like the OBs. My transom won't care what I bolt up to it if my old Merc 115 won't fire up.

I hear ya bro.. but to me if it don't work and it's an OB? I'd be in even worse shape than I am now with an I/O as I'm way more comfortable working and taking apart an essentially regular engine for work.. vs a OB... Way more than I care to tackle... and well those dang OB things ain't cheap neither.. ;)

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

If my Merc's shot (wouldn't surprise me!) I'll start looking for a used one on a rotten hull. :D My transom won't care if it's another 70s vintage or a much newer one. I just care if it's got enough power and I can find it cheap enough. I don't care to rip apart an engine either way. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but not that comfortable.
Plus I want as few holes under the waterline as possible. Bellows scare me! :p
Best wishes on finding a replacement for yours ASAP either way!

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Guy, here is an I6 replacement...

http://nmi.craigslist.org/boa/2925529283.html

I'll split it with ya, you grab the driveline, I'll take the hull:D

Hmmm... Dang that thing could be so friggin awesome sitting in a slip on the Mississippi next to all the $6 digit and UP boats... :) I'm leaning towards getting a 80s something 4.3 and alpha at this point. What year block is you 4.3????

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, I'd love to get my hands on that 25 footer! Ah, maybe another couple dozen years down the road....

Yah, my V6 is an 89 - you can see it running in my signature there. Hoping to have it run on water this summer;)

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class

How much heavier is the V6 compared to the I4 motor? Thanks
Yah, I'd love to get my hands on that 25 footer! Ah, maybe another couple dozen years down the road....

Yah, my V6 is an 89 - you can see it running in my signature there. Hoping to have it run on water this summer;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

V6 vs. an 4 cyl is about a hundred pound roughly if I remember correctly. In guy's case he'd go from an I6 to a V6 so that's pretty much a wash eh.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

V6 vs. an 4 cyl is about a hundred pound roughly if I remember correctly. In guy's case he'd go from an I6 to a V6 so that's pretty much a wash eh.

Plus it looks like I might get some deck space back.. as it's not so long as the I6.. or so it seems from lookin at pics anyways. mayclose to 8 -10" shorter doghouse. More party deck, for the mesquitos to roam....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

True dat, but, she get a little fatter so a bit less room on the sides of the dog house. It's a trade off I spose.

barato2

Commander

SMG--

just read this thread. welcome to the mob. you realize you've created expectations for sound effects when you sand the hull, right?

in a way, it's good that your outdrive was toast too and forces you to get a donor boat. this means that: 1. everything will fit together and talk to each other 2. you can update to a 90s vintage drivetrain that doesn't have 40+ years of wear n tear. don't even think about another Stovebolt. fiberglass boats go to poop in just a few years when uncovered so there are LOTS of 90s and up drivetrains around. some will even have FUEL INJECTION and let you say goodbye to that crime against nature known as the carburetor and up your fuel economy at same time

i hear the Mob chanting: DO-NOR! Do-NOR! DO-NOR!

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

SMG--

just read this thread. welcome to the mob. you realize you've created expectations for sound effects when you sand the hull, right?

in a way, it's good that your outdrive was toast too and forces you to get a donor boat. this means that: 1. everything will fit together and talk to each other 2. you can update to a 90s vintage drivetrain that doesn't have 40+ years of wear n tear. don't even think about another Stovebolt. fiberglass boats go to poop in just a few years when uncovered so there are LOTS of 90s and up drivetrains around. some will even have FUEL INJECTION and let you say goodbye to that crime against nature known as the carburetor and up your fuel economy at same time

i hear the Mob chanting: DO-NOR! Do-NOR! DO-NOR!

I've been on a mission to find a old 90's something boat but.. man.. I swear.. C/L can be pretty dang frustrating though.... Alot of folks have stuff the say they want to sell but as soon as you ask them some questions or even running it on muffs it's like they don't wanna be bothered.... Geezz... Come on folks..

A fuel inj engine would be the HEAT, dawg!