1973 Starcraft Chieftain owner.. SKEWWWWWIE!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1973 Starcraft Chieftain owner.. SKEWWWWWIE!

That was easy! Your second pic looks you're trying to crank her over. You may have celebrated one too many. :p

Looks like you have a nice, big work area, Show. Good looking tractors too.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I make broom broom noises in my boat sitting in the garage entirely sober, I see no issue here:)

Ok, maybe a big glass of KoolAid down the hatch just to loosen up a little:D

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Ok... while I was flexing and patting myself on the back for getting the drive unit off. I wasn't really set up for pulling the motor so I got to pulling trim and bumper rubber (is that what it's called?) off the stern end of the boat.
It looks like the plywood expanded or swell up and pushed up on the top of the cap piece of AL.

So... I was lookin at the starboard and port side (look at me using all the dang fancy nautical terms) lol.. :) and well am I going to have to pull off the bow cap and push out the bumper rubber towards the front to be able to bend up that stern cap???
As Jas said, you need to access the screws holding the last couple of feet of rub rail in place. The screw heads are behind the rubber, so you need to force it out of place first. Once the aluminum trim is pried (minimally) away from the sides of the hull and the aluminum angle trimming the cockpit is removed, the entire stern deck skin can be removed by drilling out only a few pop rivets. I found removing the aluminum sheet was the most expedient way to clear the way for transom work. I replaced the skin with a new sheet and relocated some of the deck fittings while I was at it. Note that once the rubber is no longer held in place by the screws through the corner castings, it may shrink substantially in length as mine did. I sacrificed the transom rubber piece to add length to the side rubber pieces. - Grandad

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

As Jas said, you need to access the screws holding the last couple of feet of rub rail in place. The screw heads are behind the rubber, so you need to force it out of place first. Once the aluminum trim is pried (minimally) away from the sides of the hull and the aluminum angle trimming the cockpit is removed, the entire stern deck skin can be removed by drilling out only a few pop rivets. I found removing the aluminum sheet was the most expedient way to clear the way for transom work. I replaced the skin with a new sheet and relocated some of the deck fittings while I was at it. Note that once the rubber is no longer held in place by the screws through the corner castings, it may shrink substantially in length as mine did. I sacrificed the transom rubber piece to add length to the side rubber pieces. - Grandad
This is exactly how I did it last night....

Ohhhhh SNAP!!!! Gots my inner transom plate out, outer gimble housing and all that stuff out... :D

Oh, you thought that I was done for the night, Mr. Vin"TIN"age" boat.... HA! :eek: I pulled that stern aluminum plate off..... en deeen you say??? ennn deeeennn????? :) Well then all the screws came outta the old transom, but some of them were just spinning and wouldn't come out so i had to get my side cutters and pretty much just pull them out. Then broke out my handy dandy cherry picker and strap and uppsy daisy the old transom came outtie...

Today is gonna be yard work day I think... I see the neighbor has a line of little evergreens he wants put in (not the most physically able guy).... Good excuse to use the post hole digger and a tractor :cool:, then mulch etc... maybe with some of that outside of the transom :facepalm: .. it was rough and rotton there mostly. Not as bad as a few others I'd seen here but will be a good template....

Prolly some pics tonight or this afternoon. I had to have the gal take pics for me since I left my camera at work.. :(

Have a good weekend ya'll.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

A bit of a set back on the whole overall project on the Chieftain..... :( Guess I should've done a bit more due dilgence on the overall lookie on the boat. Got me a cracked block found it when I was running it on blocks today.. UGH! SOAB.....

So I'm looking for thoughts on where to go... Longblock, etc? Kinda bummed as I got alot done on the boat before finding this out.... Not sure if I'll sink much more into it.....

GA_Boater

Sorry to hear that Show. Is it donor boat time?

GA_Boater

If you are talking about the cylinder along the right side, it's the heat exchanger for a closed cooling system. It should work fine.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK wait, hang on a sec...

First thing I'd do if I were in your shoes is make sure that outdrive is 100% before you grab a replacement engine.

Why?

Well, like GA mentioned, maybe it might be time for a donor boat.

See, if the outdrive is shot than you may as well pick up a whole total package from a donor boat rather than piecing together a driveline. And in that case it may be worth considering a V6 as an option as well.

If the outdrive is all good, than an I6 replacement would probably be the best route to take.

Good news?

You are still only into this boat for $650. You can probably part out a few things off that shot I6 and recoop a little cash:)

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

OK wait, hang on a sec...

First thing I'd do if I were in your shoes is make sure that outdrive is 100% before you grab a replacement engine.

Why?

Well, like GA mentioned, maybe it might be time for a donor boat.

See, if the outdrive is shot than you may as well pick up a whole total package from a donor boat rather than piecing together a driveline. And in that case it may be worth considering a V6 as an option as well.

If the outdrive is all good, than an I6 replacement would probably be the best route to take.

Good news?

You are still only into this boat for $650. You can probably part out a few things off that shot I6 and recoop a little cash:)

Ahh very true you are. I'm not up to my eyeballs yet with money in this boat yet! :) When you say test the outdrive, can you elabroate on that? Just a pressure test or what exactly?

Sorry to hear that Show. Is it donor boat time?

It very may well be..... :confused:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Just a pressure test or what exactly?

Well, I am a total rookie. So I won't be of any help. I took my outdrive off and stuck it in the corner of my basement and haven't looked at it since.

First, easy step, is drain the oil to check for any water intrusion. Check for rust/slop on the U Joints. Check the water impeller. Pressure test. General stuff like that.

I'd certainly head over to the Merc forum, check the stickies, read a whole bunch, and ask questions instead of taking my word for things though.

Cheers:)

GA_Boater

Show - Jason made a good point which I glossed over. Check the outdrive. No sense picking up a motor and finding out the the rest is bad too. How To FAQ's are at the top of most the motor forums include links to pressure and vacuum test the LU. The Mercruiser forums have some pretty smart fellas. Kinda picky about wanting the model and serial numbers for some reason. Scan through some of the posts and you'll see why. LOL That eBay motor would be a good choice depending on $$$.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, plus it would be wise to take a close look at trim pump, rams, gimbal housing, transom shield.... All that stuff can really add up, fast! That's where a donor boat has a huge advantage. But, if all you are in need of is an I6 replacement, than grabbing something like that one on eBay may be just the ticket;)

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Yup.. You guys are on target I think.... I just want to try to keep from putting/buying someone else POS and be in the same situation I'm in now....

But without further adooo.... PICS!!!!!!

IMAG0589.jpg

No motor.. just the inner transom plate.
IMAG0590.jpg

Mint condition cabin... ;)
IMAG0592.jpg

No motor or inner transom plate....
IMAG0598.jpg

Pulling the transom out
IMAG0617.jpg

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Transom all the way up and over... thing is pretty heavy.
IMAG0619.jpg

Some Corrosion on the inside of the transom plate. What do you all do to clean that up? Just sander?
IMAG0621.jpg

The GSD Jazz'r says.. how do I get in there???? lol
IMAG0627.jpg

No floor cleaning up
IMAG0645.jpg

IMAG0646.jpg

IMAG0653.jpg

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

A Mercruisier 165 with a cracked block running.... :facepalm:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Excellent progress Guy!:D Fur your inside transom skin, yah a sander should clean that right up no prob.

OK, question on your I6 there...

Really should have asked before....

The crack, is it just on the outside water jacket? Or are we getting water in the oil?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I was wondering the same thing. Lots of guys running with external only cracks that have been JB Welded or stitch welded. Drill the ends so it doesn't grow.

You have very little corrosion on that hull. It is in exceptionally good condition. I'd sand that corrosion off, and hit the inside there with some etching primer and then Rusto or POR15 or something like that.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I was wondering the same thing. Lots of guys running with external only cracks that have been JB Welded or stitch welded. Drill the ends so it doesn't grow.

Yah baby, that's what I'm hoping for here:D

Give us some good news Guy!

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Well, When i drained the oil it had quite a bit of water that came out first.. I guess I could try to run it some more and see what happens.. I didn't run it all that long.. Not sure how long it needs to run to get water in the oil.... It was lookin nice and black as I used me some used oil from my car that gets religiously changed every 3k.... didn't wanna put new oil in it to find out it was just gonna get immediatly mixed with water....
I might put that manifold back on it and run it a good 30-40 mins and go from there....