1973 Starcraft Chieftain owner.. SKEWWWWWIE!

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1973 Starcraft Chieftain owner.. SKEWWWWWIE!

Well,, I think what I'm going to come up with is a mixture of what BlueFin has and what I seen out on Friscoboaters.

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu180/linkedupmedia/Rebuild/DSC09479.jpg
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu180/linkedupmedia/Rebuild/DSC09480.jpg
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu180/linkedupmedia/Rebuild/DSC09487.jpg

Seemed to do the job just fine..... Planning on grabbing some lumber today at lunch and making the set for the rear tonight..... :)

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

Well,, I think what I'm going to come up with is a mixture of what BlueFin has and what I seen out on Friscoboaters.
DSC09479.jpg

DSC09480.jpg

DSC09487.jpg

Seemed to do the job just fine..... Planning on grabbing some lumber today at lunch and making the set for the rear tonight..... :)

That's one way to do it.Looks good.Should work good on that smooth floor.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

SMG your Chief thread caught my eye after a year of being dormant it's back at the top of the list. A fine looking tub of tin!

If you've not gotten to the transom pitting repairs yet, I would suggest using marine tex rather than JB. Reasons being I've found that JB is like sanding a diamond after it's fully cured and marine tex "strong as steel sands like wood." Marine tex is way easier to handle and apply as well.

barato2

Commander

second that on the joys of sanding fully cured JB. when i use it, i try to scrape it as thin as possible while it's still vaguely soft, to reduce what i have to sand down.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks like you are ready to start rockin on the Chief. Your transom pics on Pg 1 are pretty much what I encountered on my Chief, swollen and bulging. It was torqued enough that it appears to had burnt up the coupler because the transom was out of alignment with the engine. Looking forward to see your progress and keep the pics coming.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Finally was warm enough and I had a few hours to get this big boy resting onto it's new rear cradle. I used some of the left over bottoms pieces of the plywood I used to make the transom out of! Seems to have worked pretty darn good. I have 2 of them boxed together with some 2x6s on some angle.... I don't think ti's going anywhere...

Check out drydock... It moved around super easy now and with hardly any rock....

&

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice man! Mine is sitting on a similar setup, I haven't yet posted a shot of it, you reminded me that I should prolly do that actually. That kinda gear makes it super easy to push the boat around in the shop eh:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks great!

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's a nice dry dock showMe. Good looking Shepard also.... looks like she's saying 'Don't mess with MY BOAT'.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good looking mobile drydock, SMG. And alarm system, too. :D

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

I want to steal your dry dock idea. So I can replace all of the rollers on my trailer.
I also saw your space needed heat. I am with you on that as my garage is so cold, the kerosene one I have takes 2 hours to get anywhere near a comfortable temperature.

I like the hull. It looks nice. I look forward to more updates.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
WHAT?? It's been like over a year now since I've touched my boat!!!! WTH is wrong with me... ugh!!! prolly that getting married and having a baby that got in the way!!! :) Been a great year or so though!!!!

Ok.. pulling this bad boy back out into the open.... Now that it's still sitting in the shop and well I get to redo all the work I had previously done due to UV damage from sitting outside prior. My gluvit is peeling up and looking for some tips and thoughts on if anyone has some ideas on how to remove it so I can redo it! Along with my transom.....

I also found a place to make me a custom tank that is well within what I'm willing to pay, so that has helped me finally get a spark going... I won't lie it ain't no inferno but hey... I'm thinking about it!!

So to sum it up.. how do I remove the gluvit i put down that has been compromised by the sun and sitting uncovered for a summer and winter outside.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
About time you showed up, :D Congrats on a new bride and kiddo. Skewwwwwwie :smile:

You probably should prep the same way before the Gluvit was put down, Wire brush and vinegar wash own, if that's how you did it before. And spray some paint over the Gluvit spots if it will be a while before the deck covers it up.

dozerII

Admiral
Good to see you back SMG, congrats on the new bride and baby. I agree with GAB, scrape off what ever gluvit is peeling and loose, clean the hull real good and redo the areas that need it,