Starcraft 21' Mariner That's no longer for sale

64osby

Admiral
My quest for a Starcraft has ended. Picked it up Tuesday night and left on vacation Thursday morning. I?ve had a permanent :D all week on lake.

Here are some pics when I went to look at it.
Allegan-20110809-00018.jpgAllegan-20110809-00020.jpgAllegan-20110809-00019.jpgAllegan-20110809-00017.jpg

A 1973 21? Mariner, 1985 Johnson V90, 1980 Johnson 7.5 kicker, Original Bimini top and bow cover, travel cover.36 roller Shorelander trailer, Garmin 240 fish finder, Bottomline fish finder, Knot speed gauge, 6 rod holders, a new spare prop, anchor, 2 mooring anchors, lots of extra line, 2 boat bumpers, 18 gal tank and 6 gal kicker tank, power tilt, 2 batteries, and some other little stuff.

Here is what I would see looking out at the lake. Long Lake-20110815-00043.jpg

Edit 2-10-12 Added Photobucket link
http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/p605/62iia/Starcraft 21 Mariner 1984/

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Re: Starcraft 21' Mariner That's no longer for sale

Here is more pics.

Loaded and ready to go. 43' end to end

IMG-20110811-00025.jpgTexas-20110811-00024.jpg

Sitting at the dock
Long Lake-20110815-00036.jpgLong Lake-20110815-00037.jpg
Visiting one of the Islands
Long Lake-20110815-00038.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Killer Mariner there, buddy. :D Water ready at that. Bet the Admiral is happy, too.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dood! You bought that boat and put it in the water all in the same week???? What's up with that???!!!

Congrats man, way to go:D

64osby

Admiral

Killer Mariner there, buddy. :D Water ready at that. Bet the Admiral is happy, too.

Thanks GA. The Admiral is very happy. She got in the spirit right away. She even pulled me skiing, my 1st time in 25+ years. It ended with a classic face plant after I dropped a ski;)

Long Lake-20110817-00045.jpg

64osby

Admiral

Dood! You bought that boat and put it in the water all in the same week???? What's up with that???!!!

Thanks J, Wife said no more projects so we got lucky and found one ready to use.

It will need a few minor things but it was awesome all week.

Actually had to find one as my glasser is now taking on 1 gal per hour, haven't been able to find the leak yet.

64osby

Admiral

IMG-20110821-00054.jpgHere's something I found tucked up under the bow. I don't know if these were factory or if the original owner put it together.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

He makes it look easy eh! Jason.

Congrats on the Mariner :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice!! Congrats.

64osby

Admiral

He makes it look easy eh! Jason.

Congrats on the Mariner :D

JayB thanks, "easy" - more like lucky.

I've looked at a lot of the restore threads, and even with a steal, and I know Jason is the King of bottom feeders. You add up the materials and not count any labor cost and you still end up at $2.5K up to $5k and then more. If I remember thats where EZ stopped counting. I happened to find a boat that fits our needs and is ready to splash.

The guy I bought from was great, a little down on his luck (no work) and I was able to swing what I thought was a good deal, Picked it up for $2,100. He was asking $2,750.

I'll be putting time and money into it like any boat. Just not right now, knock on wood;)

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good god man. That's just not fair. You need to pull that boat over here and take me fishing.

64osby

Admiral

Good god man. That's just not fair. You need to pull that boat over here and take me fishing.

I might have to just do that. Maybe you could teach me something.

I went out 4 nights looking for walleye. The places I marked in the daylight held no fish at night and there were many laying deep 42' but I could not get a bite.

I took my son blue gill fishing one morning and got 2 bites no fish. I've never been shut out on gills before.

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Labor costs??? What's that? I'm running a sweat shop over here! If I had kids they'd be sewing seat cushions all day:) Nice boat man, you got the math right and a great boat ready to go! Why didn't I think of that......

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

JayB thanks, "easy" - more like lucky.

I've looked at a lot of the restore threads, and even with a steal, and I know Jason is the King of bottom feeders. You add up the materials and not count any labor cost and you still end up at $2.5K up to $5k and then more. If I remember thats where EZ stopped counting. I happened to find a boat that fits our needs and is ready to splash.

The guy I bought from was great, a little down on his luck (no work) and I was able to swing what I thought was a good deal, Picked it up for $2,100. He was asking $2,750.

I'll be putting time and money into it like any boat. Just not right now, knock on wood;)

Yup, I suppose you just about got it summed there 64. I think with these old boats there is kinda this tipping point of spending more to grab a water ready boat vs. buying a piece of garbage and building it to new. I think if a fella can snatch something entirely water ready for sub $3K range than sweet! The bummer is most boats in the $1500 to $3500 category need to be totally gutted and rebuilt (especially glassers), the seller just doesn't know it yet. Most cases the buyer doesn't either, which can be very sad.

On my Islander I kinda think I should be in the $2500 range give or take. On the Jet Star, about $1300ish with $1100 going to a nice OB. I have to work hard to keep those numbers down though.

Now, if you can score a water ready rig for $2000ish and go fishing like you did 64? Brilliant baby, just brilliant!!!!:D

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Envy, envy, envy. Nice find!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice score 64, your patience has really paid off this time:D

Huge bonus that the boat is ready to take out, only a few of us have been able to do that:)

Those extras like the canvas and electronics make this deal even better. Nice work!

64osby

Admiral

Bighoss, Gundog, SC16SS & HA, Thanks for the cudo's.

The no labor or very little to splash was/is great. I owe most of that to my better half as she approved the purchase. It didn't hurt that I took 3 abandonded vehicles to the scrap yard and got $1,100 for them, added in my mad stash and very little came out of the home budget.

Now if I could sell my 3 trailers and my 2 FG boats I would get the home money back and my mad stash back in hand. Might even look to sell the Evinrude 135 and the PTT unit I have. But then again that might be sweet mounted on the back.

Some of the small things needed to get on the water were:

The front console seat wood was cracked and was not attached. The PO was 6' 6" and tipped the scales at over 300. He said he was the one that cracked the seat. I screwed in some aluminum supports and reattached the hinge. Then I added the back pad to the console, it made the seat very nice to sit on. It was a seat pad that was sitting out in the pole barn and it's mounted with some existing screws. Doesn't quite match but at least it's white.

When I went to fill it up the first time I kept my eye on the gauge mounted on the tank. Turned out the fill hose was loose / soft / leaking where it mounted to the tank. Pulled it off and trimmed about 2" off it and it still fit and sealed up tight.

The front battery is not hooked to up to charge, it powers the fish finders. I tried to charge it but it was shot. I had grabbed the battery from the Hurricane I had bought last year. Turns out it was new last year, didn't even need a charge.

The console has a 12 outlet but it is an old 2 prong one. I added a 12v plug direct wired to the front battery. Lets me plug in my old GPS, hand held spot lights and some led lights I'm playing with for interior boat lights at night.

I went around and tightened every screw bolt and nut I could find. I was amazed that almost every one was loose, especially the front rail.

My needs and want list is starting to grow, but the first item I need to fix is my Caprice wagon.
:facepalm:
My tranny had been acting up, slow to shift into 3rd and 4th. As we left on vaction I kept saying all I need it to do is get us there. It did that. On the way home it wouldn't shift into 3rd until I hit 62mph and it was sometimes slow to do that. But we did make it home.

I hopped in Monday morning and left for my office and the tranny would not shift into 2nd, top speed 20mph. I already have a motor and tranny sitting in the driveway waiting to put in. Hoping to have it done by the weekend so we can use the boat.

I know it's a long post, but thanks to all of you, your projects and wealth of information put forth here. If it weren't for you guys I would have still been looking at a FG boat instead of a STARCRAFT.:D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

So, let me get this right. You found a nice SC to use with very little work. :D Now you need to fix the tow car, :mad: It's always something :facepalm: Sounds like you were ready for the Caprice.