Starcraft 21' Mariner That's no longer for sale

ChieftainCC

Cadet
Re: Starcraft 21' Mariner That's no longer for sale

I'm redoing a 25' chieftain and making her a cc. Im getting some great ideas from reading this page so keep it up and happy boating

64osby

Admiral

CCC - Hope your project is going good. You should start a thread and show your progress.

Glad this is giving you some ideas. I love the CC set up and a 25'er would be awesome.

ChieftainCC

Cadet

I am currently remodeling my kitchen. When that is done demo will start. I look forward to everyones input. I have seen a few guys cut some of the front deck out to give them more space. I was wondering if that effected the hull strength or ridgedity. Im talking about cutting infront of the bow hatch.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I am currently remodeling my kitchen. When that is done demo will start. I look forward to everyones input. I have seen a few guys cut some of the front deck out to give them more space. I was wondering if that effected the hull strength or ridgedity. Im talking about cutting infront of the bow hatch.

Start a thread & ask plenty of questions. You'll get lots of replies, some may even be answers to the questions you asked........

64osby

Admiral

Took the Mariner out Saturday trying to catch some Rainbows that have been planted in our local pond. We got shutout, 4 bites between 3 of us, but it was still a great time.

Here's a little impressionistic art courtesy of my blackberry. Moonrise at Sunset.
Texas-20120929-00428.jpg

One of the things that has always bothered me was loading at night. Second is backing up the boat at my house at night, live out a bit and no light.

A while back I made up a few lights to help deal with issue. After last night I was motivated to install them finally.

These LED's were picked up at an auction for $1 a piece, made the housings from some scrap galvanized c shape. Plugs right into the 4 way connector on the wagon.

Texas-20120930-00439.jpg

Texas-20120930-00438.jpg

ShoreLandrAuxLights3-1.jpg

Doesn't show very well in the pic below, but now there is a nice amber light to load and back up. The lights shine back about 25' in back of the trailer. I can see where I'm going. :D

Texas-20120930-00441.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's a great idea, 64. I don't like dusk or later loading either and have been kicking around a way to mount some sort of back-up lights on the trailer. I like your way better. Are they on when the tail lights are on or do you plug in a separate 4-way just for the ambers?

The Moon rising is cool. Just saw the same Thursday/Friday when I was coming off the lake.

64osby

Admiral

GA - Have it set up where it is either or, trailer lights or these, separate 4 way plugs when the auto lights are on. Wouldn't want these to have any chance of being lit up while on the road.

Sometimes the grey matter does work.

GA_Boater

Sometimes the grey matter does work.

Now that's good to know. :rolleyes: I have a couple of spare 100W driving lights but they draw way too much juice to power through the four way. LEDs are perfect.

64osby

Admiral

So last summer I had added a $6.00 stereo to my boat and yes it was a cassette player. I know a few members here were embarrassed for me.

Well Santa was good to me... with a little help of a local online auction house and couple extras from the WWW, I ended up with this.......

IMG_20130104_200726.jpg

Thanks Santa.

A nice Jensen Marine receiver / stereo 160W CD, Ipod ready w/ 4 - Marine speakers. Picked these up over 3 weeks at the local auction. Then added a wire harness and an Ipod connector from a couple online sites.

Now I know this is splurging compared to my last system, this one cost 20 times more than my last one. (That's $120.00 for the mathematically challenged)

Hooked it up to a spare auto battery in the basement and gave it a test. My 14 year old daughter gave her approval. So it MUST sound good.

I'll probably spend a little time over in the electronics forum trying to get a few install ideas, like where to put the speakers and if they should be enclosed.

One set of speakers will most likely replace the one set already installed on the sides of my CC.

MarinerRadio2.jpg

The other set of speakers might present a challenge. Looking for ideas on where might be good place. Thinking up front.

IMG-20110809-00015.jpg

But the only place available is the ends of the seat. Might look at trying to get them attached to the gunwale facing in, instead of back.

Lots of time to figure it out and make plans, no inside work space available.

Happy New Year to all.

GA_Boater

64- Good thing the 1st system only cost 6 bucks. If it was $12, 20X would have been cost prohibitive. LOL.
It must be a good one since you got the daughterly thumbs up.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

THat horseshoe shaped bow set up is so cool. Just wanted to say that:joyous:

64osby

Admiral

64- Good thing the 1st system only cost 6 bucks. If it was $12, 20X would have been cost prohibitive. LOL.
It must be a good one since you got the daughterly thumbs up.

My daughter is addicted to music. She can't seem to live without something playing somewhere, and the louder the better.

It's certainly not the top of the line, but it will be a huge upgrade. I'll bet it can even drown out the ringing in my ears.

THat horseshoe shaped bow set up is so cool. Just wanted to say that:joyous:

It works great, with that and the bench in front of the console - great place for the kids.

I do need to find a way to clean up storing the dodger, have an idea that will test my sewing skills.

dozerII

Admiral

Nice Santa find on the stereo 64. Are you just going to make a cloth or vinyl boot to store the dodger in?

64osby

Admiral

Dozer the cover I'm thinking of would be vinyl and snap over the dodger. The dodger is mounted at the front, it slides in a track and my goal would be to leave it in place.

Thinking of a cover (maybe padded) that would snap to the horizontal front and wrap up and over the dodger and snap down on the bow.

jonathanwsmith

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW your Starcraft is beautiful. image.jpg here's the view from my 1956 Duratech V-12, w two 5 y/o cousins pointing the way to "pirate cove"

64osby

Admiral

Finally was able to get the Mariner out yesterday. The Admiral had a work party so I grabbed the kids and gave the 'ol girl a shakedown cruise. (click on pic for vid)

th_VID_20130611_203411.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

She fired right up (didn't even charge the battery). Has a slight stumble at low idle when cold, just like last year.

The kids took turns testing out their Captain skills, they told me later it was :cool:. I had to kick my son out of the helm when first launching, ( he though he was going to be the first to get her up to speed :sorry: :nono:.
Lots of wind noise but you can hear the upgraded stereo, sounds mucho mejor.
Still have some work to do but the dodger and the the front seating area is almost complete.
:happy: :D

64osby

Admiral

So the dodger cover finally had some work done. Seemed like it was 5 minutes at a time over several months.

Here's what it looked like.

IMG-20110809-00015.jpg

The plastic window was old brittle and cracked. Spent some time learning how to sew in a new window.

IMG_20130525_175327.jpg

The frame was about 5 inches short of laying on the bow.

Iboats had a nice little sale a while back and some slides were picked up.

A little cutting and...
IMG_20130613_205525.jpg

The new speakers were mounted on the fascia of the bow with some 1/2" plastic.
IMG_20130211_175039.jpg

A cover for the dodger was sewn up and SS snaps were installed.

IMG_20130613_205353.jpg

A bow fascia pad was sewn up and upholstered using 5" of foam from a memory foam mattress. I used 5 nutsert type fasteners and bolted it in from the front of the fascia.

Here is the end result.

IMG_20130613_205427.jpg

Still need to make pads for the sides. Going to have to make up some multi layered panels to form to the inner gunwale and allow for a wrinkle free curved panel hopefully.

GA_Boater

That cleaned up the bow real good, 64. What was it like sewing the new vinyl window? I've seen a few that used heat fusing from the factory.

64osby

Admiral

GA - It's not bad sewing it in. Lots of prep - pull cover from frame, tape up cracks, the experts here said to use seamseal to attach the old and new plastic. I use industrial double stick tape.

IMG_20130525_132720.jpg

A walking foot machine would make the sewing easier but the one I use gets the job done. Admiral won't let me touch her machine.
IMG_20130525_132730.jpg

Cut the old out after the new is in place.

dozerII

Admiral

Looks real good 64, that Singer looks identical to the one I have and love to use. I just bought an Omega walking foot machine and am trying to learn how to use it. It's kinda like going from a sports car to an old jeep.