Starcraft 21' Mariner That's no longer for sale

64osby

Admiral
Re: Starcraft 21' Mariner That's no longer for sale

How to turn a Mariner into a mini van. :facepalm: Good thinking and very bottom feeder, 64. They will keep beverages at hand. Nice and simple - I like.

Thanks GA. It has more seating than a Mini Van

GA, at least we're not seeing DVd player screens.....yet ;)

Never on my boat. But I do need to work in a cheap stereo. I have a AM/FM cassette that I picked up for $1.00 and some 8" round speakers laying around. I might have to try and upgrade to a CD Player though. My daughters Ipod does hook up to a wireless connector and that might work too.

64osby

Admiral

One of the options lacking on Mariner's is a rear seat or bench. The PO had this boat rigged for big lake fishing and no rear seat is great for that. I am not a big fishermen and don't plan on ever re-rigging the boat with outriggers and downriggers. We use the boat for pleasure, skiing and tubing.

The boat is rated for 9 people but doesn't have that many seats. The Admiral has been pushing for a folding rear bench, so she could tan and read. After running a bunch of different options in my head and on paper, I decided that a folding bench wasn't the best option at the rear of the boat, ladder access when swimming and getting the right amount of support on a folding bench work against each other.

I made a prototype bench support up of some old alum. bench brackets I have laying around. You can see our current rear seat option tucked in the corner.
MarinerRearBenchBracket.jpg

My plan was to make up two half benches that would be easily removed for access to the sliding doors. 4 matching bench brackets were cut and assembled. The whole seat would be 66" wide and the back would a little less, so the bimini top would store properly.

Drew up a plan for upholstering the seat and back so everything would be picked up in one trip. Wife has a 50% off coupon at one of the local sewing shops.

I still have our first boat out in the yard, a 1964 Crosby that now has a cracked keel and leaks like a sieve. It's a project that's been for sale for a long time, no bites. We were planning a Fathers Day outing and I thought about pulling the rear bench out of that boat to use as a test. Putting a tape to it, I was very surprised to see it was 66" wide:) Ended up pulling it and attaching 3 of the 4 brackets that had been made up.

This is the result.
MarinerRearBench.jpg

I'm not real happy with the maroon colored back but the Admiral says it adds a splash of color to the boat, so I'm not complaining too much. I'm color blind by choice.

The rear of the bottom bracket butts up to the sliding door lower channel. The top of the bracket rests against the rear cross support above the sliding doors. I used 3 lags to temp it in. It was very secure.

We went out on the boat with 4 adults and 2 kids, the bench worked awesome. Nice and comfortable, storage under, and a half step down when getting back in the boat.

The back is a little narrow, but it does allow me to get a look at the fuel gauges without pulling the seat. Now just have to conger up a quick disconnect mount for the bench and maybe reupholster the back, someday.

Next up will be a front seat sun deck, still in my head.

Just had a call from my wife, sun deck will wait, first will be installing the Teleflex Xtreme Steering kit that arrived today:cool::D

barato2

Commander

nice bottom feeder engineering there! but i agree, i'd look on fleebay for some vinyl and home-reupholster the backrest cushion in another color

64osby

Admiral

Spent a little time installing the $6 stereo, a $1 garage sale radio that was new in the box. Yea it's a cassette.
MarinerRadio1.jpg

Added some Pioneer speakers that were in the garage.
MarinerRadio2.jpg

The big expense was the electric antenna, $5 from one of the local junk yards.
MarinerRadio3.jpg

MarinerRadio4.jpg

Use a fm wireless connection for my daughter's ipad, and it works very nice, as good as I need on a boat.

My wife ended up finding a classical music station - piano concerto's, while we were grilling out burgers and the sun was fading behind the trees. It was relaxing, but we had some different looks from the fishermen that got close.

64osby

Admiral

The other thing that occupied a few hours of time was re routing the wires at the console, prepping for the new steering. Installed a 3" grommet in the shelf and ran all the wires through it. Also removed a Knot gauge on the console and pick up off the transom. The big time consumer was re running a transducer wire that the PO had not run under the deck. Good practice for running the Xtreme cable this week.

Before
MarinerSteeringSystem1.jpg

After
MarinerRewireAfter.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boy 64, you spare no expense on boat goodies. $12 for a sound system, you're making the rest of us look like big spenders. LOL. Really it all looks good. Have you received the Xtreme steering?

64osby

Admiral

Hey GA, I'm not cheap, I'm frugal. Not $12 but $6. Don't need the big expensive system, about half the ringing in my ears is probably from that loud R&R when I was younger.

The Xtreme Steering is here and looks sweet. I'm waiting on a steering link that was ordered off fleabay last week. It was shipped on Friday so hopefully it comes quick. Forecast is calling for 90's and 100 late next week here, I don't work well in that kind of heat, we'll see. Can't wait to get it installed.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dooooood! You just installed a cassette tape deck in your boat! No way!:D:D Funny stuff right there;) I got rid of all my CDs probably 10 years ago, I can't even remember when I had a cassette playin......

ringing in my ears is probably from that loud R&R when I was younger.

Yah, I have the same ringing, bad. Big concerts blew my ears out too. Young and dumb, paying for it now eh.

GA_Boater

Hey GA, I'm not cheap, I'm frugal. Not $12 but $6. Don't need the big expensive system, about half the ringing in my ears is probably from that loud R&R when I was younger.QUOTE]

I guess I was thinking stereo. LOL Let me check my storage archives, I might still have an 8 track. :facepalm: Who knows they may return to fashion.

64osby

Admiral

Okay, so I'm a technophobe:facepalm: Couldn't find the the old 8 track GA & Jas, LOL. The FM converter works nice for getting the ipad connection, and I also have one of those cassettes with a wire to connect to a CD player.:redface: Hey it's cruising and grilling tunes, and it works.

barato2

Commander

I might still have an 8 track. Who knows they may return to fashion.
laugh on......the guys who want their original Hemi Cuda all original pay some $ for 8 track tapes nowadays.....

Osby, if you want a bunch of new blank cassettes (all good stuff, Maxell UDXLIIs, TDK SA-X, etc), shoot me a PM...i still have a bunch

64osby

Admiral

I might still have an 8 track. Who knows they may return to fashion.
laugh on......the guys who want their original Hemi Cuda all original pay some $ for 8 track tapes nowadays.....

Osby, if you want a bunch of new blank cassettes (all good stuff, Maxell UDXLIIs, TDK SA-X, etc), shoot me a PM...i still have a bunch

b2 - Thanks for the offer, going to pass. If I looked hard enough there are some in the house somewhere. Don't want to waste the time recording, I'd end up pulling out my old albums and have to set up my old stereo somewhere. Thankfully my daughter has good taste in music, none of the rapping crap.

64osby

Admiral

Wanted to give an update on the Teleflex Xtreme NFB Rotary steering system that came my way via iboats and Teleflex. Big huge Thank You to both.

Also a Big Thanks to Bob_VT, for the Sticky. It's an honor to give back to the site that has provided a wealth of great info. Only hope it's up to snuff for everyone.

If you want to check it out, here is the link. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=554635

Here is a look at the helm after the install, replaced the steering wheel with one off the Hurricane I recently passed along. Nice upgrade to the original Starcraft wheel.
MarinerConsole.jpg

The cheater handle or "maneuvering knob" is also nice to have for low rpm usage. That came off my 64 Crosby that sits in the yard. I'm trying to decide if the keel should be fixed (FG) or if it goes far far away (after some minor theft).

The Teleflex Xtreme did not have a Puma in the box, Jas. At least mine didn't.

My brother is up from Florida and we took the kids out today. Pulled him skiing and then we switched. I now have sore legs, 1 1/2 laps round the lake on a slalom ski. Haven't done that in over 25 years. It wasn't pretty but it sure was fun.

His comment on the Xtreme steering was, "it is AWESOME. No prop steer and smoooooth." He own's a boat, too bad it's the other kind.

All the fun stuff on the Mariner and the Teleflex is in the thread.

Next on my small list of stuff to do is to see why the tach is sticking, Had a screw fall out during the steering install and now it's getting stuck at points. Nothing a little tap on the glass doesn't cure, but.....

64osby

Admiral

Took the Family and the Mariner on vacation last week. Had a great time and used the boat 7 out of 8 days it was on the water.
LongLake-July20121.jpg

Had an issue with a shaking vehicle while towing, rebuilt the trailer bearings. The seals had been gone for many years based on what was found. The shaking turns out to be in my wagon. Problem still unresolved.:confused:

With the exception of vacation, the boat is always on the trailer, drained after every use. The bilge pump has never been used on this. I have turned it on a few times and you can hear it run. After a week on the water and 2 days of rain I tried the pump and it ran but no water came out.

Before loading it for the trip home I took it out for one last speed run. The boat porpoised badly. After loading it up the plug was pulled and the thing pissed like a race horse for about 5 minutes. There must have been 20 gallons at least.:eek:

After getting it home I figured the pump should be looked at. First thought was the intake was plugged. Not. The discharge hose was pulled and 3" of fluffy white stuff and 2 acorns came out. Hooked it back up and stuck the intake in a bucket and still nothing happened.

Pulled the pump and pulled off the cover. The impeller looked good and without the cover on it spun very fast. Back together and nothing, noticed the cover plate was very warm. Back apart and this time a small amount of marine grease was applied in the housing and on the plate.

Back together and tested, now it pissed like a race horse. Very cool.

Is it okay to grease these pumps?

While messing with the pump I noticed that the front of the splash well, over the doors, is getting a little out of shape again. Looks like some reinforcement is needed and some resealing.

Any good pics out here showing splash well reinforcement?

Always something.:redface:

barato2

Commander

don't see why grease would be aproblem IF you used silicone grease.....petroleum based grease can swell and rot some seals and probably impellers too. my cellphone is rubber armored type, and part of the rubber coating has been screwed up by some of the hydrocarbons i have on my hands when i use it.

GA_Boater

Hey Osby - Maybe it's time for a new pump. I would feel a lot better knowing mine pumped water when needed. Of course the water my have been rain water from the two days of rain.

Did the white fluffy stuff in the hose look like styrofoam?

emoney

Commander

Love this boat (even if it is made from cans)! Not a bad idea to have 2 bilge pumps on board. I actually keep 3: 2 of them are wire in, one to a float switch, the other to a manual switch and the 3rd is a spare in the necessities box just in case.

64osby

Admiral

B2 - used blue Marine grease that was used on the wheel bearings.

GA - Not Styrofoam, it was like silky stuff that moths & butterflies use on their cocoons. The Styrofoam little floaties did appear behind the doors with all the water that was in the boat. 38 year old foam is breaking down.

emoney, thanks, love my tinny. Yea I look at adding an auto float. Just never have had an issue with water in this because of local lake use.