Starcraft 21' Mariner That's no longer for sale

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starcraft 21' Mariner That's no longer for sale

The center console is super nice...but...I absolutely love the Caprice Wagon! There are not as many of those around as you would think. I was looking for one for awhile before I bought a different wagon.

Anyways, nice boat!

64osby

Admiral

So, let me get this right. You found a nice SC to use with very little work. :D Now you need to fix the tow car, :mad: It's always something :facepalm: Sounds like you were ready for the Caprice.

Yes, it's always something, and yea this has been brewing for a while. But all's I have to do is look at my boat and :D:D:D

64osby

Admiral

The center console is super nice...but...I absolutely love the Caprice Wagon! There are not as many of those around as you would think. I was looking for one for awhile before I bought a different wagon.

Anyways, nice boat!

Thanks Bunker, I love the wagons, Caprice/Roadmaster/Custom Crusier, This is 2nd one, It was going to be a parts car. My 1st had two deer that decided to become dinner meat, one year apart. Ins. Co. paid a total of $5,000 and totaled it, but it still ran great. I was going to fix it with the parts car, but then a tree fell on it. So I took the parts car put a used engine in it, have replaced most of the interior with the other one, dash and headliner are the only items left, Besides the engine & trans.

My son made me laugh when we were coming home from vacation. He asked if I will buy another when this one dies.

I'll bet they don't rust much in NM.:)

barato2

Commander

they don't rust, and transoms and floors on old SCs are sometimes not rotted. the tradeoff is that every bit of plastic/rubber/paint gets WASTED from the UV at 5000' elevation with no atmo moisture to get in the way. not that there's any plastic panels on a Caprice......

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah that Boat is a great find,congrats and hopefully the caprice isnt to bad.Those usually arent to bad,just a bit tedious.

64osby

Admiral

Yeah that Boat is a great find,congrats and hopefully the caprice isnt to bad.Those usually arent to bad,just a bit tedious.

Thanx Brenn, I have it parked out in the yard and every time I look at it I :D

I'm hoping to be able to tow and launch on Sunday, my daughter wants to try to get up on the new pair of starter ski's I bought on CL, 57" length, never used, labels still on them for $70.00.

Got 4 hours into it so far, I have tranny and motor mount bolts, 2 ground wires and the starter wires left to go and then Out with the Trash.

64osby

Admiral

Got the wagon fixed:D 21 hours total time. A Royal PITA, I'm sure glad I don't do that for a living.

The great thing was we were able to get out on the boat and have a little fun today.

Nichole 1st time skiing.jpgTubing 8-28-11.jpg

My daughters first time skiing, She said it was FUN but hard. :) It was awesome:D My son tried but could not get up, but he's a trooper and were going for it next time. Also got some tubing time in.

We saw a few people we knew on the lake. They almost didn't recognize use with the new boat. They were very impressed with the "new" Starcraft.:)

64osby

Admiral

I have a list of about 10 things that I want to do with the Mariner, so far.

A ladder quickly rose to the top when the hang over the side 3 step was a PITA to use.

I started with pulling the ladder off the Hurricane that sits out in the yard. Came up with what I hoped is a good working plan and started putting it together.

Here is a pre install pic of the construction of the deck with the ladder attached.
Mariner ladder (3).jpg
The ladder is mounted to what used to be a baseball stadium bleacher back rest. The deck is 2 layers of 5/8ths southern yellow pine, old bleacher decking. The deck was coated twice with poly and covered with non slip tread, stick on. The non slip was black and after sitting in the sun it almost blistered my hand. I painted it with white Krylon that was laying around, trimmed it out with some scrap alum angle.

I went to install it and I found an issue with the splashwell. The front starboard corner of the splashwell had seperated and the PO had filled and painted the area. This is what it looked like after the fill was removed.
Texas-20110902-00068.jpg

Looking at the front side, the corner was broken.
Texas-20110902-00069.jpg

I use a small jack that was on top of my kicker tank to lift the splashwell and use a ratchet strap to pull in the sides. Drilled out a bunch of rivets and installed 24 new rivets. Used some backing plates where I could. Ended up with this. Repaired the other side too.
Texas-20110902-00070.jpg

The sliding doors worked much better after the repair. Now I was able to install the ladder on the straight and flat area of the upper splashwell.

Here is the installed view.
Mariner ladder.jpg

I was pretty lucky the only thing I had to buy was 4 stainless fender washers, $3.26. I had all the other parts laying around. I think I might qualify as a hoarder when it comes to hardware and misc. stuff.

I think it's pretty solid, I did climb it a couple times. Only 5 new holes in the boat. We'll see how it works out on the water tomorrow. I think this a good temp solution, maybe even a year or two. but I think it will need to be upgraded a little more to last until my son has the boat. I keep telling him he will get it in about 30 years.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There ya go, a new boat and already making it fit what you want. Ain't it grand. LOL Glad the wagon is working again instead of a being shift-less.

64osby

Admiral

=GA_Boater;3452864]There ya go, a new boat and already making it fit what you want. Ain't it grand. LOL Glad the wagon is working again instead of a being shift-less.

GA - you know if I couldn't have fixed the wagon quickly, I still would have trailered to the launch, only at 20mph.;)

You said "Ain't it grand" It reminded me, I've been thinking about a name for my boat, Too Grand, although it did cost just a little more. What do you think?

GA_Boater

Sounds good, 64. Makes her more your own too. Of course you could start with Too Grand and start crossing off and add three, four, etc. LOL Too Grand has a nice ring!

64osby

Admiral

Had the boat out today the ladder worked great. Kids got up with no troubles. :)

But I ended up with other troubles, had an engine alarm go off after about an hour on the lake.:confused:

I'll be over in the Johnson forum tonight.

64osby

Admiral

I found out my VRO oil feed tube was cracked and did a quick repair.

Had friends over for boating fun and dinner today. It was a bit chilly, 72 and 15 to 20 mph winds but we were all troopers.

The Mariner was great and we had alot of fun. Had 3 adults and 4 young teens on board.

Here is one of the Highlights. Jeff skiing 1st time in 20 years.

The Mariner ran great, I was really thrilled the way it handled the rough water with over 900lbs of people on board.

64osby

Admiral

I am looking at changing out the rear cleats on my boat and added a couple more up front.

My question is can you damage your boat if you pull tubes or skiiers from the cleats at the back of the boat and not the eyes?

I want to trade to the bigger cleats and use them to tow with, it will need the trim (under it) to cover the exisitng holes, and the large piece on the right will be the backer support. Does this look like a good solution?
Texas-20110907-00081.jpgTexas-20110907-00082.jpg

GA_Boater

My only concern is even with the backing, it's still attaching to .100 aluminum and the force will be horizontal. Might start to tear toward the stern. But again it might be fine. Maybe time for a ski pole to clear the O/Bs?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I absolutely would NOT do any towing from the cleats.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Reasons???

I would say just due to the inherent thiness (weakness) of the tin you have them bolted to in relation to the constant amount of strain and force generated from dragging a skier or tube around.

The transom has what?, half an inch of solid wood back there to anchor into compared to the tin that is measured with a micrometer.

64osby

Admiral

Alright I'm still going to install some more cleats, but no towing

How about a new set of tow eyes/rings placed on the upper wing of the transom? Maybe 4" below the transom cap on the each side.

And Kev I'm pretty sure my transom is 1 1/2"