1964 Starcraft boat build & a "newbie" to this site

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1964 Starcraft boat build & a "newbe" to this site

Machine on our tiller driven duck boats we've re-done, the seat was the last purchase and the last thing installed. We used truck bed liner coated floors though. My Dad was a big guy and I am as well so trying to plan for that early was difficult for us. Just laid a wide strip of 3/4 under the decking to cover area to mount our post. Sat in the rig and got a feel for the most comfort and locked it down.

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

what type of bolts/screws did you use? toggle bolts?

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our decks are 5/8 ply, the area we intended to mount the seat had 3/4 laminated to the underside about 24" square. Then we used brass crown bolts. I think they were 1-1/2 or 2". Like I said we're big boys, I'm 6'2 275 and I'm the runt of the family. Even on rough water duck hunting on Lake Erie that seat never wobbles.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    12.1 KB · Views: 0

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay here some more "questions and 1ST "WOOD" in the boat ,, the transom in IN and the 1st floor board

here are the "questions"

I have came across some epoxy 10 bucks a gal and 6 gal , this is the white paint you will see in the pics , aguy ordered this special and never picked it up is how I got it for that cost

the paint is Martin Senor polyamide catalyzed epoxy , it says will go on ANYTHING , metal , Aluminum etc ,, says it's chemical resistant , IMPACT resistant , abrasion resistant .

could I uses this on the bottom instead of GLUVIT ? this will save me $$$ and I have a great set on the rivets

seokladuckin

100_0112.jpg

100_0108.jpg

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

BTW is the FLOOR CORRECT along the bottom to screw in place or rivet??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gluvit is specifically designed to bond to aluminum. One quart will be plenty to coat the rivets and seams in your boat. I'd stick with that.

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

also do you REALLY need the board on the outside of the hull where the motor bolts on ??? no new boats have this...

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

That board, a piece of 3/4" plywood taking up probably over half the transom of my Crestliner, and 1 1-1/2" plywood in my Starcraft does a lot to support the weight, and the torque of the engine. The outboards are heavy, and the aluminum in the transom is fairly thin. The newer boats I have seen without have much heavier aluminum. I recently saw one welded aluminum jet advertising 3/8 aluminum. I'm not sure how thick mine is the brochures say .083 mm, and I bet that's less than 1/16", but not gonna try to do the conversion. A lot are 5/16 or 1/4.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Lots of fellows prefer to rivit the floor down I chose to use SS screws. never know when it needs to be removed. Remember to set the depth for piolet holes of needed to not drill thru the floor. Yes its been done. LOL

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

also do you REALLY need the board on the outside of the hull where the motor bolts on ??? no new boats have this...

No you don't. I omitted it from both of my projects. In my opinion it's just something else you have to worry about eventually rotting and then leaking through the fasteners. Skip it.

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No you don't. I omitted it from both of my projects. In my opinion it's just something else you have to worry about eventually rotting and then leaking through the fasteners. Skip it.

Ezmobee that what it looks like to me , I am going to have a 50 HP Honda and it is fairly lite , it's also a tiller set up,, thanks for advise guy , I know I have been a PAIN , but I want it to be RIGHT ,, I think it will be a KILLER hunting/fishing rig , I may have to sell my Xpress 22 ft LOL

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

pink high dense insulation 1 inch thick 4 feet by 21 ft long is 51 BUCKS a sheet , DAMN tht stuff has went up

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

last floorboard , this boat is going to be NICE me thinks

100_0124.jpg
[/IMG]

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

mock up is DONE, ALL floor boards are cut & fit and epoxy coated on them , boat is back apart and leak tested and here is what I found and need help with ,,

have 5 rivets only leaking east fix..

NOW for the "fun" I have a seam leaking well not really leaking just a slow seep in 3 places .

here is my question ,,, just gluvit and call it good or epoxy the seams ?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gluvit is epoxy and it's very good at what it does. Apply it to all your rivets and seams. A quart should do ya.

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|311409|311410&id=23772

ordered this flooring today ,, ordered camo paint also , base coat khaki with brown , black grass and a little green for the design ,

found 21 gal tank for 75 buck on ebay , 21 a little big but you do not have to fill it up I guess.

ordered a 13 pitch prop for it Sunday .

boat is completely mocked up and torn back down for paint .

I have really got the itch to get it DONE and in the water for test .

found good trailer for ZERO DOLLARS yesterday

I could be on the water in a month if funds do not run out.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

How wide is tha boat at its widest point it looks huge.

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it's not that big ,, floorboards are about 57 inches at back , boat it 16 ft long , some may not "approve" of me changing up the boat so much but it will be COOL when done , I am making the floor boards removable in case I hit something and spring a leak , I will cover each board with vinyl then secure , It should be a GREAT low maintenance , cheap on fuel hunting & fishing rig , lite weight and good on rough chop

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1964 Starcraft boat build & a "newbie" to this site

Ya'll are not going to believe the boat trailer I had GIVEN to me today ,

it is from a Hawk bass boat that was stolen and TRASHED , this guy I know found it on his property , he called the PD and they come and looked at it and said well someone will come and get it , that was 3 years ago ...

it has a bunch of stuff on the boat I can use ,, fittings etc etc bow eyes GREAT aluminum deck lids

NICE trailer , a little over kill BUT NICE ..

pics to follow tomorrow

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1964 Starcraft boat build & a "newbie" to this site

Another good salvage operation, I like it:)

Free trailer too, nice score there. Looking forward to seeing the layout. Those bass boats have tons of good hardware to use on the Starcraft.