1972 starcraft chieftain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1972 starcraft chieftain

It's just snow! Oh wait thats the cold snow LOL... we only have the warm snow down here LOL

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Looking for a little help. The starter won't crank with the turn of the key. Tested the switch at the dash and have power in the crank position but nothing at the starter. Looked at wiring diagrams and they weren't much help. It has the 250 inline 6 thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Post up in the I/O repair forum. Not too many techies down here.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks ez. I just ran a new wire from switch to starter for now. Tomorrow Im gonna go pick up a free donor boat that has the complete harness and power tilt assembly. Hopefully all still good as the boat has been sitting outside for about 4 years. It also has the complete pre alfa outdrive still attached.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Finally got my tilt trim problem solved. Turns out the motor is bad but thankfully the one on my donor boat is still good. I decided Im going to totally rewire the boat to eliminate any future problems. I found complete harnesses for a reasonable price so it should be fairly easy

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congratulation. Looks like a very worthy starcraft. I'm jealous!!

T

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks timfives. She is a good looking boat. I started looking for an inboard aluminum boat last summer but never had any luck. Last summer i drove by the PO's parents house and seen this boat sitting outside. I asked her mom if it was for sale and she said it had already been sold so i was kind of bummed out. Then a few weeks ago i spotted it on craigslist. The sale must not of went through last summer. The hull is in good shape besides 2 small spots that might require attention. The floor and transom are solid. The only thing that needs attention is the 39 year old electrical system. Hoping to get it on the water within the next couple weeks to see how she does. Eventually i would like to do a full restoration once i have an indoor place to work on it.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Nice boat -kicker- ladder and condition, should be able to use that all summer and then if it needs it dig into the concerns. Good find and ability to find doner boats in your area. Wher in Nebraska do you live I was raised for a few war years in Beatrice. It right on the Blue river. I remember lots of Pheasants .rabbits and big cat fish in the river we caught with -baited poles and stuck in the bank then, go next day and check them, Nice place to live. Pugetsound

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Im about an hour northwest of beatrice, just west of crete. Blue river is about a mile and a half away from where i live. Lots of people catch some big cats out of there. Also some pretty big carp in there as well.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Well I put her in the water today. She has plenty of power and scoots along nicely. While it was off the trailer i moved the winch post forward as recommended by Jas and EZ to get it sitting a little farther forward on the trailer. The only thing i noticed is it leans quite abit to the starboard side. I even moved my portable fuel tank to the port side with no avail. The only thing i can think of is its waterlogged on that side. Any ideas? Heres a couple pictures for reference.

Attachments

• 2011-04-16%2015_39_26.jpg
    2011-04-16%2015_39_26.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 1
  • 2011-04-16%2015_39_41.jpg
    2011-04-16%2015_39_41.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 1

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey look guys! There is a boat in the water!!!! Wooooooohhhooooooooo!!!:D:D:D:D

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Hey look guys! There is a boat in the water!!!! Wooooooohhhooooooooo!!!:D:D:D:D

I was pretty excited as well. I really want to do a full restoration but im gonna have to wait as I dont have a garage big enough it will fit in (yet);). I will enjoy it through the summer and start collecting parts and hope i can get a big pole barn built by winter :D. It still bothers me it doesnt sit even in the water.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

The kicker is on the low side, but the list seems to be more than just that??? Hmmmm.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah the kicker is heavy but not THAT heavy. Odd.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I drilled a couple holes in the floor a few feet infront of the transom and the foam that came out was dry. I jacked the front of the trailer way up and jacked up the starboard side and put the plug in to see if any water drains out. The boat does sit lower on the trailer on the starbard side due to a bunk board being half gone so maybe the rainwater isnt draining. Will check in the morning and hope it doesnt rain.I dont think the hull is tweaked at all. I cant find anywhere that doesnt looked straight and cant find any stress points. I agree with EZ and DJP that the kicker isnt the problem.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I'm sure you've checked, but batteries and anchors are heavy as well, have you checked to see what is in all the compartments?

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I moved the spare battery and fuel tank to port side and also had 2 passengers that were on port side and it still leaned. There really isnt anything in the compartments. I even cheked the original fuel tanks and they were both empty. I'll get a hole saw tomorrow and drill a few more inspection holes. Hopefully theres just some water hung up in there. For some more information the PO did tell me they had an incident at the lake last year. The motor died and wouldn't start and they got pushed into some trees. The drain plug got pulled out and the boat took on water. Im not sure how much but like I said before it leans to starboard on the trailer due to a bad bunk board so maybe it's not getting drained.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Man that is weird she still leans even after you move all the weight over to port. Super waterlogged foam is about all I can think of but it sound like you checked that too. Huh.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a hard time believing the PO told you the whole story. Can't imagine how the foam would get soaked during 1 event. It must have been leaning beached or crooked on the trailer allowing water to sit on one side for a long time. My SS sunk before I got her and must have been in the water at least 1 day and the poured foam was still nice and dry but the boat was always covered.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I drilled about 4 3" holes on the starboard side and foam was bone dry. I took the kicker off and it weighed in at a wopping 79 pounds. The only other thing i can think of is the original fuel tank is under the helm but i dont see that weighing more than 30 pounds. I took several measurments on the outside of the hull and everything seemed even. Next weekend i plan on putting it back on the water to see if it changes but the list was pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.