1965 Starcraft Cheiftain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 Starcraft Cheiftain

Man Craig, this rig is just keeping you from kicking back isn't it? Bummer!

I don't see how that can hurt anything just hanging in the garage there.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ahh its ok really. I bought the boat knowing there would be issues that come up and I was planning on doing some restoration over this winter.
As long as I can identify the problems the actual repairs are simple. In this case a couple of new u-joints will fix the shudder.

However I am concerned about the water in the bellows and the outdrive itself.
Any usual suspects?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'd guess bad bellows, did you change that out already? If not I'm betting it's ready (past ready).

Cheers:)

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I would wrap the O/D left over with a cloth and take a big Trash bag and seal out any water getting in it . You should be ok then.

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

Completely drain all the water/oil from upper and lower units. If that's an older MC-1, then they both share the same oil and if any water is left in it, could freeze and bust the casing.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have made a little progres this winter on the restoration of the interior, specifically the deck.
The gum and crud that has accumulated on the hull has been scraped, scoured, and washed away (almost).
I am going to reinforce the aluminuim supports to give the new wood floor more support.
My plan is to install the floor in 3 seperate sections with the seams running the length of the boat.
With a "ski locker" in the center. I dont plan on doing much water skiing with the boat but I like the look. :)

I have one question however. In every resto thread I have read it looks like everyone installs the wood floor accross the beam of the boat. From gunnel to gunnel. The opposite of what I was planning.

Is there a reason for installing the flooring crosswise? Such as adding structure to the boat itself? Or was it just easier?

Any other floor tips?

Thanks

Cannot get pics to work. :(

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

If you ever looked at my thread, motor problems happened to me at every turn..
On the deck..
Everyone has done theirs gunnal to gunnal because thats how the factory did it and the templates of the old deck just get copied.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Running plywood gunnel to gunnel is also stronger because the grain spans across the stringers, instead of parallel to them.
To add pics these days you have to go through a hosting site such as photobucket. You have to upload photos to photobucket, then paste the url for the pic from photobucket into the pic posting feature of the "go advanced' thread reply. I wish I could explain it better, but I'm still getting used to it myself.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Honestly, you dont even have to go advanced to post pics.
You can simply COPY the photobucket URL and paste it directly into the post and it will appear in all it's glory

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Having the seams go port to starboard (chine to chine/gunnel to gunnel/ left to right) should add stability to the hull and minimize flexing. Putting in a locker is fine but I strongly suggest not making it the full length of the deck.

I know what you mean about not getting much done these days. We just have to live vicariously through others here for a while.

barato2

Commander

another reason to make the seams be lateral rather than lengthwise is if you have an 18' or larger hull, you'll have to buy oversized plywood sheets to do it lengthwise.....floor is >4' wide

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey,

I'm just catching up on threads as i've been away from iboats for what seems like an eternity. Great thread though, and nice boat. I'll be starting on Chieftain soon.

You should take a look at my Islander thread if you still have kicker mount questions, and or PM directly..

Keep up the restore!!

T

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found some time this weekend to make some progress on the Cheiftian.
I want it completed and in the water by May.
Has been to cold to do much here but this Sunday was beautiful.

Added some aluminum angle as bracing to the existing supports and added a couple of cross braces as well.
It already feels much more sturdy and thats without the plywood in place.

bracing (1).jpgbracing.jpgbracing (2).jpg

I have the floor boards cut out and are ready to install but I think I will need to get the boat out of the shelter to make it easier to manhandle them into place.

I have seen many posts here showing some type of sealant being added to the wood.
I was thinking of covering them with layer of fiberglass and some resin. Both sides to keep the water out.

Then a layer of Gluvit, if I can find any here in Canada.

Hope the weather holds out till next weekend.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gluvit if for your hull rivets and seams, not wood. Fiberglass and resin (either poly or epoxy) would be the best. Move of us have just gone with epoxy resin alone (poly is no good without glass).

InMotion

Commander

Hey craig'

Glad you were able to make some progress this fantastic past Sunday! I got my gluvit from pride marine out in I think belleville ... Google it and then just order it right on line. Took about a week and a half to arrive. No issues what so ever. Hope that helps.

Im

middlewick

Seaman Apprentice

Fantastic read, I'm inspired to do this myself. Last year I let a 22' chieftain slip through my hands and the fellow ended up scrapping it.
Now I have my eye on another, a 25' (or 24') chieftain. Can't quite figure it out yet. Iam going to start another thread for that rather than hijack yours. Great job so far.
PS I'm doing most of my boating in Rice Lake, but head up the river now and then.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looking good Craig! Glad to see some progress.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Right, Gluvit for the bottom (rivets and seams) I wrote the post poorly, I meant it was the next step after sealing the floorboards.

Does anyone know how much Gluvit would be necessary to seal the area from the cabin wall back, aprox. 8ft.
Would one quart do it or should I go for the gallon?

In referance to coating the floorboards. Is this the type of expoy product you are reffering to?
http://www.pridemarine.com/index.cfm?category=10060|10075|10696&product=9893375&code=810395005166

Also you say I can use the expoy without needing any glass matt? I would prefer that if possible.

Thanks again to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.