1965 Starcraft Cheiftain

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1965 Starcraft Cheiftain

Starchief = 18'

Chieftain = 21'

I just learned that a couple of days ago...

I just picked up an 18' Chieftain. Still has the original sticker on the dash. This is confusing. I can send a pic.

Deadwood

Chief Petty Officer

I just picked up an 18' Chieftain. Still has the original sticker on the dash. This is confusing. I can send a pic.

I've studied the brochures but I'm still wrong at first glance at guessing all the diff types of Starcrafts we all have. Please correct me if I'm wrong (again) but I thought Chieftains have bow rails and Starchiefs (like mine) don't.:confused:

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

DW,
I hear ya. There seems to be some error. I'll look closer to see if my dash sticker is authentic. I don't have bow rails but the side windows on the fly bridge open.

We might have to rely on our superior officers to clear this up. I could use some clarification on production timeline on these models.

I'll post up a pic at some point of my dash.

Mike

fshngho

Lieutenant

I had a 62 Starchief, 18 footer (I was told) and it had bow rails:confused:

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

DW,
I hear ya. There seems to be some error. I'll look closer to see if my dash sticker is authentic. I don't have bow rails but the side windows on the fly bridge open.

We might have to rely on our superior officers to clear this up. I could use some clarification on production timeline on these models.

I'll post up a pic at some point of my dash.

Mike
The 18' Starchief and 18' Chieftain are the same boat. The only difference is the years. In the 60's and early 70's it was called the Starchief. The 1966 and earlier Starchiefs had the rounded windshield. Then Starcraft dropped the Starchief name and called them Chieftains. I have never figured out exactly which year it happened. During both of these time periods they still made the larger Chieftains. Here is more info on the subject.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=432911

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Here is the tread I had started on my old 62 Starchief. Like I stated, it had bow and side rails, I had removed them before I took pics but you can see where they were mounted.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=362612

Hey, who ended up getting that Starchief anyway? Did he show up here on iboats? I was really starting to like her dressed in red:D

fshngho

Lieutenant

Haven't heard or seen the guy since he bought it. He was going to make it a CC and post on here.:confused:
Gonna miss that 'ol gal.:redface:

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok here is my first of many questions.
I was looking under the cushions at the bow today and saw a lot of standing water. Located where the toliet used to be. There is still a rubber hose sticking up from the bottom but it looks to have been capped.
Can anyone tell me how this is supposed to drain? I assume the water should drain towards the stern and out the hole in the transom.
If that is the case does that mean I will have to remove all the floor boards to find the blockage?
Thanks

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I assume the water should drain towards the stern and out the hole in the transom.
If that is the case does that mean I will have to remove all the floor boards to find the blockage?
Thanks

Short answers...

Yup, and yup.

Couple of quick questions for ya...

Do you have the hull sitting bow high so it has gravity doing it's thing with the water?

How does your deck (floor) feel? Soft? Solid? Mushy?

My guess is that you'll need a new deck. Also my guess is that when you pull your deck up you'll find foam that needs to be replaced. I would also guess that your "limber holes" (holes right at the middle of your hull ribs that allow for drainage) are all clogged up blocking positive drainage towards the stern. Most of the dudes that hang around here have been down this road.

It's kinda sorta an all or nothing proposition. I am thinking you are looking at a full on rebuild here. I know you mentioned that you wanted to use it for this up and coming summer and then work on it after that. You should have no trouble going that route. Just check your transom to make sure it's not mulch, gotta be safe! Then, when you are ready for a complete tear down, rip out, rebuild - have at it!

A lot of the guys say this around here...

Welcome to the insanity!:D

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Short answers...

Yup, and yup.

Couple of quick questions for ya...

Do you have the hull sitting bow high so it has gravity doing it's thing with the water?

How does your deck (floor) feel? Soft? Solid? Mushy?

My guess is that you'll need a new deck. Also my guess is that when you pull your deck up you'll find foam that needs to be replaced. I would also guess that your "limber holes" (holes right at the middle of your hull ribs that allow for drainage) are all clogged up blocking positive drainage towards the stern. Most of the dudes that hang around here have been down this road.

It's kinda sorta an all or nothing proposition. I am thinking you are looking at a full on rebuild here. I know you mentioned that you wanted to use it for this up and coming summer and then work on it after that. You should have no trouble going that route. Just check your transom to make sure it's not mulch, gotta be safe! Then, when you are ready for a complete tear down, rip out, rebuild - have at it!

A lot of the guys say this around here...

Welcome to the insanity!:D

The floor is definatley rotten and its replacement is my winter project.
As for the transom is it not made of aluminum?
Also what is the purpose of the foam that is what we suspect is causing the blockage?
Thanks again.
Oh and btw this was just the first of many many questions to follow, lol.

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

Transom is made of plywood and that?s normal.
Foam is for flotation in case you get swamped.
You don?t want the boat on the bottom of the lake.

GLG

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

The floor is definatley rotten and its replacement is my winter project.
As for the transom is it not made of aluminum?
Also what is the purpose of the foam that is what we suspect is causing the blockage?
Thanks again.
Oh and btw this was just the first of many many questions to follow, lol.

Hey Craig!

Well, your transom will have aluminum skin with some sort of wood in the 1.5" range. If it's all aluminum than the previous owner did a major conversion. If your deck is rotten than your attention should also be on the transom too.

At this point the foam is there to give you a headache. It's original purpose is to help you float for a while until someone comes to the rescue in the event your boat swamps. Super important!

Hey, take a whole bunch of photos and post em up so we can check out your rig! Make sure to get some shots of the transom, motor and outdrive too, eh!

Have fun!:D:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ooooo, GLG beat me to it. Man he is quick on the draw:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I dont care what y'all call it...

Lets get this thread back on track!
Craig, GREAT looking boat!

We all look forward to seeing more of the girl, in and out of the water..

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe 1965 Starcrafts did not come from the factory with foam. Foam was not mandated in boats until after 1968.

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I believe 1965 Starcrafts did not come from the factory with foam. Foam was not mandated in boats until after 1968.

Don't know if mine is factory but I can see some of that white foam just ahead of the engine. So I know that I do have foam in the floor of my 1967 Islander, just don't know how good it is yet and not looking forward to finding out either.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No poured foam back then but probably some waterlogged white sheet styrofoam.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took some pics today.
So I thought I would share.

Attachments

• DSC00678.jpg
    DSC00678.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00679.jpg
    DSC00679.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0