Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starcraft on clist!

Congrats Big hoss! I love to see that thread actually occasionally serves to increase the ranks :D Heck of a deal you got there.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Heartfelt thanks to CBGALE for posting the boat listed in Kalamazoo MI. I drove from Ohio and picked up the 16ft SS, 50hp Merc., and 2001 trailmaster trailer for $550. I actually gave the guy $600 because I got there so early I woke him and his family up. Thanks again, I would never have spotted it if not for your post. The restore thread starts this weekend.

Not a problem Hoss. Glad I can help. I even contacted him to see if he wanted to do a little trading for the rig. Looking forward to the resto.

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I'm so pumped I can't stand it. I got her home and gutted it like it was a box of Crispy Cremes. I was actually going through your thread Ezombee looking at how to pull the transom. No luck using for a template, most of it crumbled in my hands. I'm also pouring through the posts looking for the HP rating. I have a friend selling a 90hp mariner, was dreaming of mounting it on.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Thanks guys, I'm so pumped I can't stand it. I got her home and gutted it like it was a box of Crispy Cremes. I was actually going through your thread Ezombee looking at how to pull the transom. No luck using for a template, most of it crumbled in my hands. I'm also pouring through the posts looking for the HP rating. I have a friend selling a 90hp mariner, was dreaming of mounting it on.

16' SS is rated for 85hp...later years they bumped it up to 90hp I believe.

Folks have gone as big as 115hp V4 johnnyrude so you should be fine with that 90.

Congrats on the score, I agree that it's great to see one of these get bought up for such a good price.:)

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

Consider checking if the trailer winch can be adjusted forward. By viewing the picture, the assssend seems to be hanging off to far, and the bunks should also extend to the transom.

The cross brace you see just under the bow roller can accept a roller/bumper where the keel belly can rest, that moves the boat over 12" further up to take pressure off that transom from the floating outboard weight.

Just an opinion.

Flysfloatsor

Banned

Dumb question here, but why do Starcrafts have such a big following? What are the advantages?

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Starman, I agree. In the haze of excitement I didn't notice it until I was in Walmart parking lot putting new tires on the trailer. Thinking of trading up or in on one that fits it better.

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dumb question here, but why do Starcrafts have such a big following? What are the advantages?

These boats are great cause they last a very long time. They are fairly inexpensive, easy to work on, easy to rebuild, easy to modify and also easy to tow. Even my 22 ft Islander is a sinch for towing, they are very light boats and there seems to be a lot of them around in certain parts of the country.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Plus they made everything from row boats all the way up to cabin cruisers.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Starman, I agree. In the haze of excitement I didn't notice it until I was in Walmart parking lot putting new tires on the trailer. Thinking of trading up or in on one that fits it better.

Can you slide the bow stop/winch forward on the trailer, looks like there is plenty of tongue there to do it.

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

Can you slide the bow stop/winch forward on the trailer, looks like there is plenty of tongue there to do it.

He should be able to if it is an adjustable trailer. He can bring it up as far as the cross support, or onto it if he mounts a roller to cushion the keel belly. A wise salt said this about bunk trailers and aluminum boats. Better to have 4 bunks than 2, but if 2, they need to extend to the transom, or back end of the trailer. The 2 high ones support the chine walls.

After the adjustment, he will be able to add a transom saver also.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A quick search came up with a value of 3K-4K for that motor. Maybe it needs a new power head. If not that package can be flipped real quick.

k5blazerboy

Seaman

SUPER nice job on that. Nice rig.

That guy is GIVING AWAY a 135 OptiMax!!!!!

Yeah, if it wasn't so far away, I would definitely be checking it out! I have a feeling however that I would drive that far and find it to be a big pile!