Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

bananaboater

Ensign
Re: Starcraft on clist!

totally aside from the blazfeemin aspect, the guy who's so detail oriented that he does a good job painting motor cowl to match boat sounds like the sort of obsessive guy i would want to buy a boat from....

Would not be surprised to find that the whole rig came as a color coordinated offering from SC. If they were going to rebrand a motor changing the cowl color/name seems likely.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

http://lansing.craigslist.org/boa/1904483438.html

I've secretly been admiring this little green deep V 14' rig for a while.:D:D

It would be the perfect medium size boat when I need to launch too shallow to take the SS:)

I loved my 14 footer, had to sell her sadly. She was red with a real nice 25 hp Merc, Minn Kota troller on the back and set up just right for fishing...

DSC_0499.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Jason that is one sweet 14 footer...sorry to have reopened an old wound. Selling that may not have been easy but you are stronger for having done it;)

It seemed weird looking at the photos...kinda like you showed me a picture of some hot old girlfriend from college or something:D(the Islander will look that nice one day too BTW).

Did you take that rig on the Titabawasee mostly? Ever out on Saginaw Bay?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jason that is one sweet 14 footer...sorry to have reopened an old wound. Selling that may not have been easy but you are stronger for having done it;)

It seemed weird looking at the photos...kinda like you showed me a picture of some hot old girlfriend from college or something:D(the Islander will look that nice one day too BTW).

Did you take that rig on the Titabawasee mostly? Ever out on Saginaw Bay?

Old wounds for sure buddy! Here is how it played out.

First I bought this rig in the Spring of 09...

DSC_0102.jpg

Super nice 12 footer with a 4 horse Merc. I ran that on the Tittabawassee and Sanford a few times but I knew that I would want something bigger with more power to get onto the Saginaw Bay. So I cleaned her up, painted the trailer and put new bunks on. Ended up selling for a lot more than I bought! I added a couple hundred to that stash and bought that really nice 14 foot Starcraft.

I bought 4 nice trolling rods, a GPS/Fishfinder, mounted a bunch of nice rod holders, set things up just great! Ran it on Sanford a few times and on those calm days went clear out to the Spark Plug in the Bay. That rig did 29 mph on the GPS which was awesome. Launched and landed in a snap by myself. Ryan caught his first fish on that boat, super proud father.

Some bills needed tending too and I had a very hard time justifying owning a boat. Total and absolute heart breaker. I think I sold the entire setup to two different guys for right about $3000. Maybe a hair less.

The day I sold the boat Ryan was with me to take it for a run with the guy. When I helped the guy hook it up he says to me, "Dad, is he taking our boat??" Terrible huh!! Knife right in the heart.

So from that point on I fervently searched for a free, or nearly free Starcraft (sound familiar). Only, I figured I'd go with something much bigger for Lakes Michigan and Huron.

No you can see why I was so pumped to find that Islander in the scrapyard in the middle of the winter in the middle of nowhere.

I love the Islander but I still really miss that 14 footer.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Memories can and will be made on the Islander Jason. Why do I get the feeling a few years down the line Ryan will be looking for a 14' Starcraft? I can hear him now.." My Dad & I had one like this and we had a great time, thats why I need one too";)
And the world continues to turn....:p

DucatiDave

Seaman Apprentice

The day I sold the boat Ryan was with me to take it for a run with the guy. When I helped the guy hook it up he says to me, "Dad, is he taking our boat??" Terrible huh!! Knife right in the heart.

Testament to how important these things we call "toys" are to the development and well-being of our kids and families.

I got back into boating (having sold a 16' SS) when I observed this entry on my 11 year old's list of things to do this summer: "boating with family". To be honest, I didn't know she enjoyed it that much when we were doing it a few years ago.

One of my favorite pieces of "art" was drawn by my 6 year old and it hangs in my office. It shows him smiling, fishing from the bow of our last boat, with me at the helm and a school of fish under the water, each one saying "Yum".

When I realize that my kids get as much pleasure out of these boats as I do, it makes the purchase decision way easier for me. Maybe I'm just rationalizing, but if I can create such happy memories for my kids by shelling out a few bucks, it seems like money well spent. To top it off, most of our boats are 20, 30, 40 years old and have bottomed-out in terms of value. We can feel pretty confident about getting our money back out if we need to down the road.

Not trying to get sentimental here, but this argument has worked on my wife on three separate occasions!

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dave, good points. it works the other way too, ie, not just for the kids' benefit. ain't the memories of time you've spent on the water with em some of your better ones? you'll really appreciate those when the younguns are grown & gone and you're doddering away at the rest home.....

which brings up an item from the Ministry of Unfair Spousal Manipulation: when you want to buy a boat, show the spouse pix of your smiling kids in the LAST boat and ask "what's that smile worth?" this idea may not work as well for those who already have 2+ boats, but no one here fits that profile, right?

here's a 16' Mariner in far northwest NM:

http://farmington.craigslist.org/boa/1902548654.html

a bit pricey but doesn't look like a resto project (i realize that latter part would be a major downside for most of THIS crowd...:rolleyes:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Too right fellas, too right!

fshngho

Lieutenant

Guys, that brings good memories. I have two grown girls that I took to the lake to swim, fish, camp and of coarse, boating. Even to this day and they are mid 20's plus, they call me to ask if I will take them fishing. BTW, they really like the SC more than my bass boat and can't wait 'till its ready:D

Starcrafts = little money, but memories = priceless

TC777

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been looking for a boat for nearly 3 years but never pulled the trigger. I sure am glad that I didn't because I was looking for a family type boat, and thought all family boats were fiberglass. I didn't know that starcraft made aluminum family boats. I really like the SS:D. Here is one that I found. What do you guys think?

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/1875482718.html

Huron Angler

Admiral

I've been looking for a boat for nearly 3 years but never pulled the trigger. I sure am glad that I didn't because I was looking for a family type boat, and thought all family boats were fiberglass. I didn't know that starcraft made aluminum family boats. I really like the SS:D. Here is one that I found. What do you guys think?

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/1875482718.html

Looks like a good one to me:D Check for rot in the deck and transom. Have him run the motor on muffs or take a test ride to be safe.

That rig will do about 40mph with an OMC 85hp in good running condition.

The SS model is a good family boat, we love ours and won't need to upgrade to an 18 or 22 for another year or two;)

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

need;)

what's need got to do with it?

TC, i like it. good boat, easy to pull even with 4 cyl econobox and Class 2 hitch, good motor, parts readily available. FWIW, i do see lots of SCs on CL in Pueblo-CO Spgs-Denver so be picky...take an ice pick or similar and probe the transom and floor boards, run a simple compression test on engine (tester is $20 at La Fright, easy even for nonmechanic to do, tells you about internals of your motor), listen to motor run, etc.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Nice Boat if sound. I enjoy my 16 SS I just restored.Boat and trailer look good and well kept. But check it out.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That is a sharp looking rig right there, that might be a real good buy! Especially if you can get it in the $1500 range, eh! I would agree with what my partners in crime have suggested up there.

Have fun!!