My 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 (yes, pics)

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Hi,
My name is Dave and this is my first post, but I have been reading these forums daily for months. I have read all of the restoration threads multiple times and decided I would like to get a Starcraft SS for a family boat. I like to fix things up and with so much info on this site feel an older Starcraft would fit the bill. I don't fish so this would be a cruiser. I have seen many 16' footers for sale but felt with a wife and two kids we would outgrow that quickly so I set my sights on looking for an 18'. Those were not as common I found. I was browsing C-list the other night and saw an ad for a 22' SS. Not only a 22' but a 22' SS V5. I called and it was still for sale. Talked to a very nice older man who told me all about the boat (He was the original owner). He was very up front and honest and we must have spoke for an hour quite late Thursday night. We hung up and I ended up calling him right back and telling him I wanted it, only problem I was 250 miles away. He said if you want it, it's yours, come and get it, I will consider it sold. Price $3000. He agreed to hold it until Saturday (today). Well, I could not sleep at all Thrusday night and decided I would take Friday off and go get it. I am from Allendale Mi. (west of Grand Rapids) and the boat was in Rockford Il. The trip went very well, but Chicago traffic sucks.

About the boat:

1979 Boat and Caulkins trailer, boat originally had a 6-cyl Merc on it but he didn't like it so in 1984 he put the 1984 140 Evinrude on it. Both engines have been maintained regularly and have given no troubles. Steering rack, steering cable, and throttle/shift cable are new. It came with a new full, custom sewn storage/trailering cover as well as a bimini (worn) and a front tonneau cover. The hull has no dents, lots of scuffs, and the interior needs new everything. The rear floor is soft, but the transom seems solid enough for now. The trailer just had new tires and bearings installed. The boat should be fully functional as is but I will start work on it this winter. As it sits in the pictures, the windshield is 5" taller than my garage door opening, but i think if I back it in up to the windshield and drop the tongue on a furniture dolley it will go in (some air out of the tires will help too). I will get it in there! One stall of my garage is 36' deep so I will be able to work on it this winter. I know you guys like lots of details, hence the LONG post.
Finally pics:
IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2065-1.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

What do you think? My wife says I have "perma grin".

Dave.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: My 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 (yes, pics)

Gorgeous hull you've got there...those outboards are a great pair for the big SS too. I would have perma-grin myself.:D

The V5 hulls are the best aluminum boats made by Starcraft.

Welcome to the armada:)

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey neighbor! Fantastic boat you found and welcome to the Starmada!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Hey neighbor! Fantastic boat you found and welcome to the Starmada!

CBGale2, I know who you are...:eek:, I work with your buddy Brad A. and have heard all about your boats (and how thrilled your wife is about them as well!! LOL).

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the welcomes guys. Hopefully I will get it in the water tomorrow or early next week. We are gone next weekend camping and I don't want to wait that long.
Initial plans for the boat is to renovate it back to like new and add a bench across the back like the Holiday's have.

Dave.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey! Another Starcraft and another MI guy! Welcome! You have a real nice ride there, congrats:D:D

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

CBGale2, I know who you are...:eek:, I work with your buddy Brad A. and have heard all about your boats (and how thrilled your wife is about them as well!! LOL).

I had a sneaky feeling thats who you where. Brad had said you where keeping tabs on me online. :D Well welcome aboard, glad you finally found one.

dozerII

Admiral

Nice looking boat and a great find. Welcome to the group.
Glen

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

She's a beaut for sure! Congrats!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Took the boat out today with my Dad and Dad-in-law on the Grand River. Love this boat. Motors both ran perfect. We clocked it at 35 mph on my hand held Garmin. Ride was smooth and the Evinrude 140 is a very quiet and smooth motor. The guy told me the boat leaked some so I did not run the bilge pump while we were out to see just how much. We were out about an hour and a half and I would say a good 5 gallons came out when I pulled the plug. When we got home we crawled under and found a few rivet heads missing and a small gap in the bottom joint.

The more I look this boat over the more I want to tear it apart. The construction looks pretty simple. Both consoles are aluminum as well as the bow seating structures. I looked at the transom from inside under the splash well and what I can see looks good, but we'll look closer at it this winter. It has a 50 gallon tank under the floor which the previous owner didn't use cause he said he didn't go far enough to need that much so he ran portables. Hopefully it can be made useable, it would be nice not to have tanks on the floor.

So for now I will continue to use it and look it over to come up with some sort of a plan for this winter.

Here's a few pics from our ride today.
IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

And the trailer with no boat,
IMG_2075.jpg

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Congrats on the maiden voyage!

fshngho

Lieutenant

Congrats DJ and welcome. From what I remember there are guys on here that would kill for a 22' SS;) since you don't fish, you could get a few bucks for that trolling motor ( I'll give ya $ 10 in cold hard cash):rolleyes:
If your going to re-do this winter, might as well do the transom and get it all over with so there will be no worries, expecially with the family going on the boat. Look forward to more pics. Dale

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow that is just THE hull to have. I absolutely love it. And then to have it powered by a fantastic newer 140 looper is even better. Great combo. I'm definitely jealous. With the leaks you've probably got wet foam under there so you can shave some weight by replacing that. I wonder if the splash well was cut down. Doesn't look factory back there.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Another nice ride tonight on Spring Lake with my wife and daughters. My wife likes it alot and can see my "vision". This is one time she is behind one of my fix-it-up projects rather than just giving me the look that says i'm crazy. Last fall I fully restored/improved a 1979 Toro 826 Snowblower to show condition (if there was such a thing). For 1/3 of the price of a new plastic box store blower I have an all steel blower that will outlast me. I work in the Tool & Die trade so I like steel (and aluminum).

When I got home I pulled up the center access panel of the floor:
IMG_2089.jpg

Looking Forward:
IMG_2093.jpg

How big of a deal is this pour in foam going to be when I start stripping this thing down? I have a feeling its original to the boat as it looks like its outboard of the hull supports as well.

Pic of the Bilge:
IMG_2092.jpg

On this rear panel, what is the purpose of the hinge to let the top half fold down?
IMG_2091.jpg

Thanks for all the compliments so far. One day, hopefully before next summer, it will look as nice as your guys boats.

Dave P.

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

Nice boat. To answer your question about the hinge I think it?s to fold down to allow for a taller motor. A straight 6 merc maybe. I looks to me that a PO changed the boat from an I/O to a OB.
GLG

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

A big deal :p :eek:

Elaborate please...messy? A lot of work? I don't recall seeing any restoration threads where someone had to remove it. I can see some of the white styrofoam down there as well.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Check out North Beach's 89 Mariner restoration - makes me tired and sweaty just thinking about it! You can see it (along with all the others) by clicking the Starcraft thread in my sig.

fshngho

Lieutenant

You may not have seen a thread because we are not supposed to use those words on here:eek:. Seriously, from what I have read and seen it is a big pain because it does not want to come up, huge mess, stuck well to every little #%$^# spot and hole. Its the main reason no one goes back with it, no one ever wants to have to remove it again. You will see;) Good Luck and remember--temper-temper. Dale