My 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 (yes, pics)

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: My 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 (yes, pics)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=361561

This is a link to NB's Mariner resto...he had a nasty encounter with poured-in foam but came out on top.

It's just a big hassle to remove since you don't want to use anything to cut it that could damage the hull. But I've only seen it from a distance;)

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Well I guess I'll be looking forward to being your guys' entertainment this fall/winter....:D

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Looks great! I would love to have one like that! Great find! And welcome to the Club :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

How are V5 hulls different from other hulls? Why are they preferred? Just curious. Thanks,

Dave

Much deeper V, added strakes. I would imagine this boat laughs at chop.

Huron Angler

Admiral

The V5 hulls were built in the 70s specifically for ocean use...which includes our freshwater inland seas here in Michigan;)

I'd love to rig a center console 22' V5 and laugh at 3-5' swells.:D

jim chuck

Recruit

Nice boat! picked one up last year also. replaced alot of wood but now Im catching fish. Boat rides nice and take rough water very well.

dozerII

Admiral

Puget, I believe you are right about the conversion from inboard to out board. Looking at the brochures the strenarea is very different. All the outboard versions I have seen have a very similar splash well with angled lines not the right angles on this one. Who ever did it did a nice job. If I have any troubles with my 18 that is what I will do then EZ won't descrimenate against me so bad.
Glen

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Nice boat! picked one up last year also. replaced alot of wood but now Im catching fish. Boat rides nice and take rough water very well.

Pictures PLEASE!!!! :D :D :D :D

jim chuck

Recruit

I have the same boat. Did alot of work to it but only paid 250.00 for the boat and trailer. Mine came with twin 50 mercs. Had it out on the big lake 10 times. Handles rough water very well. Could use a few more horses.
My hull came with the white faom. Chipmunks made it look like it was filled with popcorn,big mess. good luck.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have the same boat. Did alot of work to it but only paid 250.00 for the boat and trailer. Mine came with twin 50 mercs. Had it out on the big lake 10 times. Handles rough water very well. Could use a few more horses.
My hull came with the white faom. Chipmunks made it look like it was filled with popcorn,big mess. good luck.

Jim, welcome to iboats! A 22' with twin outboards sounds awesome. We'd love for you to start a new thread with pics of your rig.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

We are vacationing on Lake Leelanau this week. Out travel trailer is about 50ft. from waters edge and I keep dreaming of next year when hopefully my boat will be here as well.....:D

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have a good time camping!

Deadwood

Chief Petty Officer

Much deeper V, added strakes. I would imagine this boat laughs at chop.

Do you know what years Starcraft built the V5 hulls? We're they only on the SS's?

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you know what years Starcraft built the V5 hulls? We're they only on the SS's?

I know it was an option on the Holidays, cant tell you years though.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

As I look at this boat I count a total of 5 strakes 2 on each side and the keel is that what is called a V-5? if so then I guess my 1975 22 Holiday is a V5 . It handels big water like a dream if your carefull. I have been thru the Straights of The San Juan Islands and 3-4 miles out to the halibut hole a few times. Thats in the open Ocean.

crumb

Seaman Apprentice

Here is my Holiday v-5 18' with 90 johnson ...iam on vacation and will be going out 5-7 miles off shore .......Fishin for mahi-mahi.......
1979Boat043.jpg
1979Boat056.jpg
1979Boat039.jpg
1979Boat045.jpg

fshngho

Lieutenant

Dave, its great you are enjoying the boat. I was looking at pics again and I think we all agree it was once a IB/OB that has been converted. I just noticed how the transom is made to stick out (extended) for the OB. That was an idea that may pay off. My concerns are I saw a LOT of wood under the floor near the transom. If this is pressure treated wood you may want to move the resto schedule up a bit. Keep a real good eye on how its constructed and replace it with metal. You mentioned you were handy at this type of work so it shouldn't be too bad. Be sure you keep structural integrity intact.

BTW. pressure treated = copper= eating aluminum:(