Starcraft Islanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone know the quality of these boats? I found a 1988 26ft Islander with a trailer but don't know the quality of these boats. I see them around here and there but haven't heard much about them. Any Pros or Cons? what is a good asking price? thanks

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starcraft Islanders

Before you buy, have a marine technition INSPECT it properly. The $100.00+ you spend now will save you thousands later. The key point on any boat is always the MAINTENANCE. <br /><br />What good is a great boating name if the boat has been beatn' within an inch of its life?

D

DJ

Shaun,<br /><br />In my opinion, they are GREAT boats. Starcraft has an excellent reputation and the Islander is a good design.<br /><br />It is a little light for its size so it won't ride quite as well as a glass boat. But, they're roomy, tough and hold their resale quite well.<br /><br />Good advice to have some "qualified" give her the once over.

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

does anyone know if they underpowered there boats. there is a V-6 in the boat so i am assuming its the 4.3liter. that seems light for a 26ft but it is aluminum. is there anyone out there with the 26ft islander?

D

DJ

Shaun,<br /><br />The early ones only offered an 4-cyl. It was adequate, but that's all.<br /><br />The v-6 is an excellent powerplant for that rig. A v-8 would be overkill.

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

before i spend the 100 bucks is there anything i can go look at that would be an obvious flaw in it? I know is glass boats they have wood for support. Is that the same way with aluminum? Should i feel for weeks spots somewhere? I really like the boat and want to buy it. The price is $8500 or b/0 with a ez loadr trailer. does that sound reasonable?

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For a boat that size, the price sounds reasonable. Just make sure it's worth what he's asking.<br />Aside from the engine and electrical, your main concern should be the rivets. I used to own a smaller 15ft starcraft and the rivets loosened up on me over the space of 7-8 years of average boating. In the end the hull was taking on over a gallon of water a day.<br /><br />Take it for a test drive then when you take it out of the water get underneath the hull and check the rivets for leaks and splits. If you see any leaks don't buy it !

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Starcraft islander is a great boat if it has been taken care of and not pounded too much. Remenber it is aluminum so it is lighter and rides a little ruffer than glass, but also eaiser to trailer and uses less fuel. My only problem with Starcraft is they still use rivets and they can loosen up and leak. The stringer are Aluminum so they do not rot. Two thing to look for dents or bows in the hull bottom. They will slow it down and also indicate how it was cared for. Second thing is to check hull below the water line for saltwater damage. Very easy to spot. This can be a problem if boat was docked in salt water. Last I would not buy it with out a ride. Rivets can and do leak and only to be sure is to put it in the water and take it for a ride and check for water before and after.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I really like my 22' Islander. The old 2-bbl V6 can push it up to 40 mph (GPS), and, it cuts waves nicely. The new 220 hp engines are much faster.<br /><br />The light weight is great for trailer towing and launching.<br /><br />The biggest problem is leaking - make sure you have a good automatic bilge pump and don't even think of leaving the boat in the water for more than a day.<br /><br />Are you sure that this one is a 26'? I've only heard of the Islander 19' and 22' (model 221), never a larger model.

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah this is a lot bigger then a 22 footer. i thought the same thing but when you stand next to it yo ucan tell its bigger than 22.

butch290

Seaman

shaun, i have a 26 ft 350 chevy and i like it.things to look for,wood in the motormounts that can rot and release the 1/2" lags.the foam under the floor can water log make the boat heavy and rot out the floor. depends on the care it received.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I heard that there was a 30 footer produced as well, but I cant find anything on it. I guess it was just a bunch of hooey. 8500 is a great price if shes sound. I cant believe you found a 26 in Jersey, ive been looking like a maniac, lol.<br /><br />I was out in the del bay on a Wellcraft weekender 25 footer, and that thing pounded and pounded and pounded. Of course, it was choppy, but this thing was HEAVY as hell and it still pounded. I dont know if I want that big Starcraft anymore, Im thinking Glacier Bay 2690 for heavy hammer bay running

alainc

Cadet

check the transom for Roth, mine was badIMG_2958.jpgIMG_2949.jpgand afterIMG_3043.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

alainc, after 9+ years I think he figured it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.