Holiday 21 steering cable question

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys, been mia for a while but still lurking.
I'm looking at a 21' Holiday local to me that has a busted steering cable. Anyone know what length is needed?
I'd like to check out replacement cost to factor into what I offer for the boat. Thought about taking a measurement off our 21' Chieftain but not sure they would be the same.
The Holiday is pretty much lake ready, other than the cable. Our Chieftain is still in restoration process.

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
It has rack & pinion. I did some looking last night and a lot of places have limited sizes in stock. Was hoping someone already ordered one for a 21' Holiday, I know how to measure them I'm just not at the boat and would have to meet up with the owner again.

emoney

Commander
If you're just estimating so you know how much to offer, figure 21'. You know it can't be that long, so worst-case-scenario you save money in the end.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
look at the old cable, the part number and length is hot-stamped on it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you're just estimating so you know how much to offer, figure 21'. You know it can't be that long, so worst-case-scenario you save money in the end.

A steering cable is never as long as the boat. And what can be done with the extra, it can't be curled up like throttle and shift cables?

FrankenCub Figure about 200 bucks for a cable, about 250 for a complete kit - Those are dickering prices. Did you look at the link prices in post #3?

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
A steering cable is never as long as the boat. And what can be done with the extra, it can't be curled up like throttle and shift cables?

FrankenCub Figure about 200 bucks for a cable, about 250 for a complete kit - Those are dickering prices. Did you look at the link prices in post #3?

I think emoney meant to use the price of a 21' cable as a rough estimate to bargain with for the boat cost. I did look at the link in post #3, and looked again just now. Not knowing the length didn't give me a definitive answer at the time, especially seems there are very few lengths listed. Many other sites I looked at are "out of stock" with most lengths. They list like 9' or 28', neither will fit that boat. I'll use the price of the 21' cable to bargain with then if I buy the boat I'll have to look for numbers on it or measure it and hope someone has the right one in stock.
I originally was hoping to find a smaller boat to use for the rest of this year, missed a Feather Craft somewhat locally for cheap. But, this '74 Holiday is just too tempting. It would look good setting next to its sister in my driveway, '74 Chieftain 21'.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I've got a 20' cable on my 18' boat, its a center console.

Also, put a 17' cable on a 16' boat. It all depends on distance from transom to helm, and the beam of the boat.

emoney

Commander
If you buy the boat and can’t find the cable, I’ve actually had luck pushing the oil through control cables with an air compressor and it worked. Several YouTube videos on the process. Since you need to pull it, you’ll be able to get the corrrct size and at least use the boat while you wait on an order. And yes, I meant for price negotiating to use 21’.

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
Unfortunately that won't work lol. The present owner tried to free it up when he took it to the lake only to have the cable break. He thinks its the cable anyway, could just as well be something in the rack. Anyway, it all needs to be replaced.