The WallyGator - 1975 Starcraft Supersport 16

Poiter

Recruit
Hello all! We joined the Starcraft Family this spring! I've been lurking for the last few months and have found some great advice and instruction from this forum already so I thought I would share my story and progress.

My family inherited my wife's grandfather's (Wally) SS. Came with all of the original purchase orders, owners manual from both Starcraft and Johnson, and everything on the boat was original.

VXf62CH.jpg

It sat on the trailer for the last 10-15 years undercover for a majority of that time. The motor has been tuned up every couple of years and is the original Johnson 70 with a total of 75 hours.

Aside from a few paint scratches from use in the 80s and 90s, the hull is in great shape. The original Transom is solid and has no movement when pushing on the kneeboard or placing pressure on the motor mounts.

Upon receipt I spent the first week rewiring the trailer as mice had helped themselves to the original loom, during the re-wire, I upgraded all of the markers to LED and added a spare tire rack to get the spare out of the boat, more on that later. Replaced wheel bearings and races on hubs.

10+ years of oxidation and mildew required a lot of elbow grease. I washed, polished, and waxed the hull with the entire Starbrite selection. After removing the crud the boat started to look new again.

NMVV2R4.jpg

TifBNc5.jpg

Since then there have been numerous family outings, day trips, and weekends at lakes in the Central Oregon area. We are loving the opportunity to keep her on the water and the memory Wally (WallyGator was his nickname) alive.

First time in the water in 10+ years, just like riding a bike she performed amazingly.
tR214S9.jpg

Oregon wanted to make sure we tested out all features and the Rain Bimini went up. When mooring for a weekend or more in the rain I need to get a Bilge Pump installed.
SJP5GPk.jpg

Exploring the High Desert lakes and reservoirs with my boys is the best!
wb0vDPI.jpg

My list of completed items that aren't well documented by pictures, apologies:

Install Fish Finder/Depth finder - Completed 7/31/20
Installed Garmin Striker 4 and a custom 3/4" UHMW Transducer plate on the port side between #1 & #2 rivet.

Upgrade Nav lights - Completed 7/31/20
Installed LED Bow Nav light
Replaced Original retractable Stern Nav Mast and mount with Attawood 2 pin plug type
Installed Interior LED strips on a separate switch that operates when NAV Lights are on.

Installed Scotty Rod Holders on Stern - Completed 5/27/20

Yet to be completed:

Replace the entire Deck
There is a Spongy spot where the spare tire sat for 10 years in the open bow and the deck under the splash well is showing signs of rot.

Replace the Transom
It is solid but from what I have read in other restoration threads, Starcraft went cheap on the Plywood for the transom. Plus I may as well when I replace the deck.

Install 500 GPH Bilge Pump & Drain Tube

Restore Trailer
Grind Clean of rust and repaint

Plenty of stuff left to do, but she is a fun project to have, and it's great to have a vessel for the family to play on and explore.

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
I enjoyed reading the history on the boat. Great looking boat. The pics or fantastic..

:welcome:

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Awesome boat. Mines exactly like yours, only a 1976, same color and all. I’m doing a full gut/restoration. I have a ton done so far, and much to go. Really nice to see how my boat looked in superb factory condition.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
I love these all-original rigs that have been handed down from generation to generation! Family heirloom!

That old Johnny is barely broken in!