1997 Starcraft 1810 SS sun pad

Mrproject

Cadet
Just acquired this project, and am curious if the engine cover/sunpad was originally plywood or some type of PVC board. It needs a full interior and motor box stringers repaired which I am tackling first.

But the 4.3 screams and was showing 160 psi cold compression. So good motor. Outdrive is clean, standard housekeeping required in the form of gimble bearing/bellows etc. And now that the motor is getting plucked to repair the stringers. I'll refresh the paint on the bracket etc.

I was considering going with PVC board (specifically seaboard supreme DS) for the hatch/sun pad and rebuilding the rear bench seat . And also considering their eternabond product for the stringers and bulkheads.

Thoughts?

This is a enjoy this year, flip next year project.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Not familiar with the Dog House, but would guess wood. You could also go with fiberglass as an option too.

SHSU

Mrproject

Cadet
Not quite a dog house...its a full bench back seat...and 2.5' x 6' cushion on top. The old one in the boat I doubt is original and seems like PVC board. My old 86 Cobalt was a molded fiberglass hatch (heck the entire cockpit was molded fiberglass) ....but this is no where near the same construction.

There are signs of 2 gas struts...I'm not sure they could support 1/2" ply coated in epoxy or resin plus a 15 lb cushion.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Not quite a dog house...its a full bench back seat...and 2.5' x 6' cushion on top. The old one in the boat I doubt is original and seems like PVC board. My old 86 Cobalt was a molded fiberglass hatch (heck the entire cockpit was molded fiberglass) ....but this is no where near the same construction.

There are signs of 2 gas struts...I'm not sure they could support 1/2" ply coated in epoxy or resin plus a 15 lb cushion.

You can buy struts by poundage they need to hold up, I have 2 on my Chief's sun deck and I used 5/8" ply.

y4ml6SeVaNxcjhWwzfbWB_sOvCMDFOZb8Mc8Dy2qQGxGDWB-FjJkXD2Z18rHwtPJvxfc9wJHuy3PkR5lVyzyGC2sCjHQN_QELld-dijSFpaSiRv7Nb743DxMVSvKc27B4FVMf9IKduxWWjYNrEqzGtEiMav1g48P1JWwtZnq1FOzHMEOI1iNQxNBhgFG7ml8o294gUBT8eqLS8v8pWw0hNx0g

SHSU

You can buy struts by poundage they need to hold up, I have 2 on my Chief's sun deck and I used 5/8" ply.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/ghkqyw.bn.files.1drv.com\/y4ml6SeVaNxcjhWwzfbWB_sOvCMDFOZb8Mc8Dy2qQGxGDWB-FjJkXD2Z18rHwtPJvxfc9wJHuy3PkR5lVyzyGC2sCjHQN_QELld-dijSFpaSiRv7Nb743DxMVSvKc27B4FVMf9IKduxWWjYNrEqzGtEiMav1g48P1JWwtZnq1FOzHMEOI1iNQxNBhgFG7ml8o294gUBT8eqLS8v8pWw0hNx0g?width=1024&height=577&cropmode=none"**[/IMG2]

Such a pretty motor!!! Someone knows how to keep a clean house.

:D

SHSU

Mrproject

Cadet
Well heck.. finally got some of the old glue down carpet up...and found...freakin termites...now planning on a full stringer/floor replacment. Oh the joy..lol.

SHSU

Bummer, but at least when you are done you know it has been done right. Plus it gives you some time to think on the Doghouse some more.

SHSU

Mrproject

Cadet
Well the current...and I'll say original cover is definitely PVC board. So I'll probably stick with it...maybe give it a coat of glass for some added strength. This boats cushions were originally done stapled to the deck. I will probably do snap in like my old Cobalt had. If nothing else I can store them in the garage incase I get stuck with an outside storage location. (Damn HOA..dont get me started on them).

I'm going to make a dolly system for the hull to get it off the trailer...if my measuring goes as I plan (ie..if da boat fit) ...Mainly to help yank the engine, but to also lower the working height.i only have my automotive cherry picker and am in a rental house...so no permanent structures. I'll know more about the insect damage after the floor is up....but it "sounds" like it may be limited to the engine stringers behind the fuel tank bulkhead..I'm currently diverted to finishing buttoning up a cam/head/intake/header swap on my project car. Need to measure for custom pushrods tonight...hope to have them by Wednesday next week.

SHSU

I know how the limited space goes. I had to do my entire project in the garage. It was the limiting factor to the size we got.

I am impressed you can have multiple projects going. I don't know if I would have had the energy.

SHSU

Mrproject

Cadet
I've been medically forced to do "NOTHING" for 16 months..just got a green light.

Try and stop me..lol

Last edited:

Mrproject

Cadet
I just ordered a pair of Harbormate Pontoon Dollys from discount ramps...200 delivered....so I'll get it off the trailer next week. My cherry picker appears that it should go high enough to pull the v6 as it sits on the trailer. The custom pushrods for the hot rod should be here Wednesday..so that will free up some space...time is approaching fast.

Mrproject

Cadet
Insult to injury..lol...I just realized my vortec v6 4.3lx has a 1.64 drive (stamping atleast). Granted this boat only weights in under 1700 lbs...but with me, the Admiral, and a kid or two..with gear and gas puts us at about 2600. I'm thinking I have no possibility of running a 21p SS. Maybe a 17p...might need a 15p to tow.

Thoughts? I will verify the gearing tonight.

Mrproject

Cadet
Insult to injury..lol...I just realized my vortec v6 4.3lx has a 1.64 drive (stamping atleast). Granted this boat only weights in under 1700 lbs...but with me, the Admiral, and a kid or two..with gear and gas puts us at about 2600. I'm thinking I have no possibility of running a 21p SS. Maybe a 17p...might need a 15p to tow.

Btw..currently equipped with a very new looking 17p Nemesis 4 blade.

SHSU

Ya, I would question that too. Suggest you run what you have before making the jump. That is a spendy prop that you don't want to get wrong.

My 2 cents for what its worth...

SHSU

Mrproject

Cadet
I was thinking the same...after the stringers and new floor are fixed...I'll do a float test...and see how it runs...interior being out will drop it down to probably 1500lb..lol

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I don't think there's a 1.64 ratio, it just may be your reading it wrong but that motor should be mated with a 1.84 or 1.81.

Alpha_One_gen_1b.png