Re-Powering the SS18

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Water won't come from the exhaust ports unless the motor is actually in the water. How long does it take for the alarm to sound once fired up and is it a solid alarm or intermittent?

intermittently solid.... does that make sense 🤣🤣 sometimes it will sound for a second or two solid then it will just beep. Its hooked to the truck, once the little one wakes up from her nap in about an hour we're headed to the launch to drop the back end in the water.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Brought it to the launch. Water comes out the tell tale and the exhaust. Also listened to the alarm. Beeps consistently about every second. Read through iboats forums and come to find out thats my fault when I disconnected the VRO. Thats a relief!!! Thanks for the reply Watermann I'm sure it doesn't seem like much to you. But you've helped me personally several times and I'm sure hundreds of others for no other reason than to help people and share knowledge. Thank you!!!!

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I took it out this evening and if it's not one thing it's another lol I pumped up the ball and noticed I jave a fuel leak at the connection between the motor and the fuel line. Ball would lose pressure and fuel would leak out. It was enough fuel to run the engine though. The take off was sluggish, I have what I think is going to be a way too big propeller on the boat. Mi wheel reccomends a 14.25x by either 19 or 21. I have a 14.25x24. So sluggish take off was to be expected. But it won't get past 3,000 RPMs. Throttle linkage is maxed out. I did notice fuel leaking out while running (sorry fishies 😬😬) so Im hoping its a fuel vacuum air leak kinda thing and thats why I cant get full throttle. However at 3,000 RPM I still went 34MPH 🤣🤣 new hose clamps and try again tomorrow. I promise I'll do better about pics lol

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Always glad to help, yeah the intermittent alarm is oil, I take it you are pre-mixing and the VRO is gone? If you have a stiff gray Attwood fuel primer line, get rid of it and go with an OEM line.Fuel leaks in boats are a death trap, one sneeze or backfire and... :eek: I always replace every fuel line outside and under the cowl on my old motors, especially if you handle them and your fingers turn black.

Your prop currently is what pitch? A 19p maybe but a 21p on an 85 HP is way too much pitch. I've run a 19p on both my 115 prop rated (5250 RPMs max) and 140 (5800 RPMs max) flywheel rated motor with my 18' SS. You will kill that old 85 with that much pitch, I'd for sure go 17p tops.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea I disconnected the VRO pump and oil line but didn't disconnect the wiring so I was getting that alarm. I never knew they had 3 different alarm sounds meaning different things. The current prop on the 150 GT which is what I'm repowering with is 14 1/4x 24. MI wheel prop calculator says 14 1/4x19 or 21. Im not too worried about the prop for now. Once I can get the boat over 3,000 RPM ill worry about getting the right prop on the boat. And Yea, I'm replacing all the fuel lines. Hoping its gonna cure my issue. Idk tho, just some of what I've read says you'll have problems getting full power with an air leak on ur fuel lines. Ill let you guys know maybe tomorrow 🤞🤞

Last edited:

Watermann

Oh jeez yeah the 150, my mind stuck on your 85, sorry I'm working nights and had just woke up. Yeah fuel delivery is crucial. I also put fuel pump kits in all my old motors.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alright someday I'm gonna have this thing figured out lol I replaced all the fuel lines. Now when I pump the ball it gets hard and stays hard. Plugged off the old oil line made sure it was sealed. Headed out, and she takes off no problem, runs for a few minutes then dies. Go back pump the ball, and it fires right up. Luckily today I had the best looking first mate with me. So she took over the helm and I manned working the ball... (usually her job 🤣🤣) anyways I digress.. lol So she drove I pumped the ball engine ran good seemed to get up to about 5,000 RPM but my pumping hand got tired. So I ordered one of these VRO bypass fuel pumps. I figure its gotta be a fuel pump, right? Its gonna be delivered Tuesday so keep ur finger crossed.

Attachments

• photo334979.jpg
    photo334979.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 0

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeap tank is vented properly and fully. Its an on board tank with a through hull vent. But I definitely have been victim of forgetting to open a vent before. I hate to admit it, but I actually did that on a river rescue at work 🤦a girl jumped off a bridge just before a damn trying to commit suicide. We take off in the boat to scoop her up and just before we get to her the motor dies. I run through my checks try to fire it back up nothing. Look again, vent is closed open the vent, big rush of air. Moror fires up and we snatch her up before she gets into the damn.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Yeap tank is vented properly and fully. Its an on board tank with a through hull vent. But I definitely have been victim of forgetting to open a vent before. I hate to admit it, but I actually did that on a river rescue at work 🤦a girl jumped off a bridge just before a damn trying to commit suicide. We take off in the boat to scoop her up and just before we get to her the motor dies. I run through my checks try to fire it back up nothing. Look again, vent is closed open the vent, big rush of air. Moror fires up and we snatch her up before she gets into the damn.

Glad that worked out! :eagerness:

I had a boat once that had the on-board vent plugged up by a mud daubers nest. Doh. :cool:

Watermann

The fuel pump could be your issue for sure. Glad you got the jumper out of the water alive, way better than dealing with floaters a week later.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thats exactly right Watermann! So a small delay but a good one. My wife and I have been on a waiting list for 2 years for a seasonal site to open up at a campground on the chain of lakes I grew up on. And we got the call begining this week that someone left mid season and we got one. So we got the money paid and then went on a rampage search of market place for a camper. Picked one of those up and were setting it up Friday. Just in time for my two weeks off!!! We're on the water with our own dock. We're super excited!! I did get the fuel pump and I'm going to install and hopefully try it out tomorrow. I'll let you guys know!!! For now, camper pics sorry lol

Attachments

• photo335324.jpg
    photo335324.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo335325.jpg
    photo335325.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo335326.jpg
    photo335326.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 0

Watermann

Hey that's not a Starcraft camper Boooo! :lol:

Hope you guys have a trouble free great time at the lake! Don't for get the pics. :D