16’ super sport minimum optimum power?

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
What do you guys figure the bare minimum power should be for a 16’ super? (As a fishing boat, no skiing)

my brother has tried a 35 with some success (2 people and fishing gear though he says it just gets on plane.
He wants to try a 50.

Im trying to repower also and I’m thinking a 50 (for me) is too light,

I’m carrying 2 group 27s up front with a bow mount troller and a 8hp kicker on the back. 2-3 cans of fuel and 2 people with gear. Sometimes camping gear too.

For me, I think 60 is minimum, 70 optimal. I don’t want to go 85/90 unless weight isn’t much more than a 60/70.
not sure what an Etec 90 weighs compared to an older 85 v4.

Thoughts?

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the homework was done for me here. An old 85hp 1966 v4 Johnson seahorse that come off my boat was 235 lbs approx. A 90hp etech is 100 lbs more!

I’ll be powering mine with a new 60hp Suzuki when I’m done with the rebuild. Hopefully in a couple months at the latest. I have a very local Suzuki marine dealer near by. Yamahas seem too pricey, evinrude(initially my first go to) is now officially out of business, and everything Mercury Makes up to 75hp is made in China. So suzuki it is. At least Suzuki outboards are still made in Japan.

I’m going with a DF60ATLW. White. The next size up with most outboard makers is a 70-75, and all of em add another 100+ lbs of weight as it’s always a step up to a bigger engine class. Not to mention a lot more $$$.

Should be PLENTY for 2 batteries, 2 gas tanks, 2-4 people usually fishing, and maybe a super small kicker for an “in case” issues.

minimally, what ever gets you around. On the quabbin reservoir in central mass, the biggest outboard you can have is a 25hp, regardless of boat size.

I personally wouldn’t go less than 50hp.

Last edited:

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
the homework was done for me here. An old 85hp 1966 v4 Johnson seahorse that come off my boat was 235 lbs approx. A 90hp etech is 100 lbs more!

I’ll be powering mine with a new 60hp Suzuki when I’m done with the rebuild. Hopefully in a couple months at the latest. I have a very local Suzuki marine dealer near by. Yamahas seem too pricey, evinrude(initially my first go to) is now officially out of business, and everything Mercury Makes up to 75hp is made in China. So suzuki it is. At least Suzuki outboards are still made in Japan.

I’m going with a DF60ATLW. White. The next size up with most outboard makers is a 70-75, and all of em add another 100+ lbs of weight as it’s always a step up to a bigger engine class. Not to mention a lot more $$$.

Should be PLENTY for 2 batteries, 2 gas tanks, 2-4 people usually fishing, and maybe a super small kicker for an “in case” issues.

minimally, what ever gets you around. On the quabbin reservoir in central mass, the biggest outboard you can have is a 25hp, regardless of boat size.

I personally wouldn’t go less than 50hp.

Suzuki it may be for me too if I go new. Good to know they are still made in Japan. I want my bucks to go to NoRth America Europe or Japan only. I’m considering picking up an etec even though they are ceasing production

are the suzuki’s 100:1 or still 50:1

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
4 stroke new Suzuki’s are strait gas. The only maker of two strokes is .... Evinrude!

Evinrude is contracting with Mercury for parts, service, and warranty. Nothing like Mercury techs with little to no Evinrude training, working on your Evinrude. Hard pass.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
I once went fishing with a guy who had a Merc 50 (crank rated) on his Starcraft 16 ft fishing hull, it was barely enough. It got the 2 of us on plane but not much more.

We have a Merc 850 (75 prop) on our SS16, it's perfect.

Also spent some time in a friends SS16 with a OMC 70 (crank rated, 60 prop). It would plane with 3 of us in the boat, but barely got a skier out of the water.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would go with a 70 HP, anything less will put you in the wish I had more crowd dreaming of a magic prop that will make the boat what you want.

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ya know, I’m really glad this site exists. And I appreciate your comments dlnorth and waterman. I was banking on a 60, but I do NOT want to do this twice. I guess I’ll be upping to a 70hp.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I’m running a 1975 merc 650 - assuming 55ish at the prop now. No planing with 4 people on board but good with 2. I’d like more but I also don’t want too much weight. I didn’t realize only Evinrude was still making 2 strokes. Probably why they got out of the market. Didn’t have the tech to make a 4 stroke competitively

MNhunter1

Ensign
I was impressed with the performance of the 45hp Mercury Classic Fifty (4 cyl dual carb, 45hp prop rated) on the 16SS. No problems getting on plane and cruising along with 3 grown men on board and a couple of kids. Only running a 6 gallon tank and one battery, so not much for extra weight on board. If I were shopping, I'd be looking for the 3 cyl Johnson/Rude in a 70hp, but wouldn't overlook a deal on 60hp. I used what I had, and it worked for my needs as a fishing boat.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
My SS was originally bought with an ol 73 Merc 850 It did great but it was a little bit of a chore to work on and find parts when needed. No issues popping up on plane. I was able to upgrade to a ETEC 90HP and it does make the rear sit heavy with the batteries and fuel in the back... I don't know if I'd go with the ETEC 75/90HP on this 16 footer again but the weight was the same for the 75HP model so I when with more HP. Working to move to a belly and move batteries toward the bow now and hope to help with the rear sag.. Everyone mileage seem to vary but this is from my perspective... and I'm far from an expert. SMG

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
???????
Skidoo
Seadoo
Lynx
Rotax
Can-Am

Uh, I think they know how to make 4 stroke engines, and quite competitively.

Are those not all two-stroke or at least originally? I’m certainly not up on the times with these things which is why am asking. I’m somewhat of a dinosaur

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are those not all two-stroke or at least originally? I’m certainly not up on the times with these things which is why am asking. I’m somewhat of a dinosaur
This is my first thought.
dsc02170.jpg

AceDuece

Cadet
I was impressed with the performance of the 45hp Mercury Classic Fifty (4 cyl dual carb, 45hp prop rated) on the 16SS. No problems getting on plane and cruising along with 3 grown men on board and a couple of kids. Only running a 6 gallon tank and one battery, so not much for extra weight on board. If I were shopping, I'd be looking for the 3 cyl Johnson/Rude in a 70hp, but wouldn't overlook a deal on 60hp. I used what I had, and it worked for my needs as a fishing boat.

My 1981 16SS has a 1996 Mariner Magnum 40hp which is the same basic engine as the Mercury Classic. 4 cylinder dual carb. With two 6 gallon tanks,three adult males, extra battery and a ton of fishing gear I can get on plane and cruise in the 20-25mph range comfortably. The twin the my boat passed me on Lake Huron a couple weeks ago. Not sure what he was powered with but he could move. For a brief moment I wished I had "more".

But tbh I'm plenty fine with what I've got. I've teased 28-30mph on the GPS before in the boat. But she just feels comfortable at 20-25mph.

Curious to see what it will do now that I've taken the electric trolling motor off and add an 8hp kicker + small aux tank to the mix.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
This is my first thought.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"600","width":"800","src":"https:\/\/www.bosscatlegacy.com\/miscproto\/skidoo\/dsc02170.jpg"**[/IMG2]

Um, yup, I’m a dinosaur. That right there was my first sled. 1968 Or maybe it was a 70. I don’t know if it was my grandfathers. I was 16