Yet another 1981 16' SS thread

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Still not even enough water to run the bilge pump after 24+ hours. I'll take it.

Man that's really good considering you didn't even start addressing leaks (unless you're really, really fast!). Alot of our pre-restoration projects would sink like a rock after 24hrs in the drink!

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Still not even enough water to run the bilge pump after 24+ hours. I'll take it.

As classiccat said that is really good.

I am guessing you are planning to address as you progress with your rebuild?

SHSU

AceDuece

Cadet
I'm going to play it by ear. At this point, I'm not sure I even have a real leak. It's been sitting on the water for 48 hours and still doesn't have enough to kick the bilge pump on. And it doesn't appear to be taking on any water (based on the amount of water by the plug). I don't know where this water would have came from, but if it's not increasing...I'm not going to sweat it.

Amazingly lucky. I've seen 2-3 year old aluminum boats leak. For this one to be almost 40 and not leaking...Pretty cool.

Possible the drain plug weeps a little until it swells maybe? Water sitting up in the boat that doesn't drain over time but runs to the back when in the water?

SHSU

All possible, reasons for water to appear, but as you said not something to really worry about it. Adding a little gulvit as you go would just be added insurance. Either way always good to have a boat that doesn't leak like a sieve.

SHSU

AceDuece

Cadet
After my fun Friday...I decided to opt for a kicker motor.

We were just under 5 miles offshore when the main outboard died. Felt like a fuel issue. Looked at the full 6 gallon plastic tank, it was vacuumed badly. Okay, no problem, lets switch caps from the other matching 6 gallon tank (that currently only had a gallon or two of fuel in it). Made no difference. Hmmm...let's try switching tanks. Fired right up. Of course with that little fuel left we had no option but to run back into shore. Once there we funneled the gas from the non-functioning tank into the functioning tank and then rain the rest of the day no problems.

When I got home, I tore the bad tank apart and found the ethanol had eaten the fuel pickup hose off and it was sitting detached in the bottom of the tank. As soon as the fuel level got below the nipple that the pickup was supposed to attach to, we essentially ran out of gas with a nearly full tank.

So...I've been eyeballing a little 1991 8hp oil injected Suzuki. I probably overpaid at $450, but I wanted to go either oil injection or four stroke so I didn't have to mix gas. My main outboard is oil injected, and eventually I'd like to put a T in the 3/8" mainline, and then adapt it down to the 1/4" size that this engine has so I can use either outboard off the same set of tanks.

Attachments

• photo334581.jpg
    photo334581.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo334582.jpg
    photo334582.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 3

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
A safety kicker is a good idea for sure. I would add a water separator filter though that has additional connections rather than T off the main line to the motor which at a minimum would need a 5/16" feed line.

iu

SHSU

+1 for the water/fuel separator

I have one, and to Watermann's point I do have two separate hoses off the filter to my engines. I have worried about what would happen if I got a bad tank then I might be SOL since they both feed off one. Solved that by always carrying a 2 gallon can as added insurance (Never had to use as of yet). Can always rig a line direct to the can.

SHSU