My first Starcraft I just picked up

Status
Not open for further replies.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Congrats and welcome! Sweet lookin' rig ya got there! :thumb:

Has the transom been changed out over the years?

If not, grab hold of that dorm fridge and see if you get any amount of flex, she's due for some fresh lumber back there.

Fpscabs

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, the transom looks to have been changed in the past. If I do have to upgrade, should what should I use for lumber?

Fpscabs

Seaman Apprentice
thanks for the well wishes. I have a few things I would like to get done, but Lake Mead is only 1 1/2 down the road. I might have to do things in stages so I can get to fishing more. The previous BO left 30 gals of old mixed gas, plus some in the main tank, so I have had to take in down to the Hazmat place in small 10+ gal. amounts I am allowed per week. I do not trust the old fuel.

Fpscabs

Seaman Apprentice
Front cuddy: I believe these are the original cushions. Picture of the logo

Attachments

• photo331619.jpg
    photo331619.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 9
  • photo331620.jpg
    photo331620.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 9

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Man that is a nice looking boat you have there sir!!!

Really impressed with the cushions (Admiral reading over my shoulder)

Look forward to seeing what you do with her.

SHSU

Fpscabs

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you. At first I was thinking about redoing the cushions with thicker foam, but I think I might see about just changing out with the same thickness and keeping the logo. If did change, I would just cut the logo part and frame it then hang it on the wall.

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got to love them old Starcrafts Cheiftan/Islanders. especially Outboard models

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the Starmada Fpscabs,

Love the old Chief, you'll get more looks at the launch with her than the guy with a new 100k boat!

Fpscabs

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks and I am looking forward to getting my floor redone so I can get her on the water. Temps have been really hot (100+), so I have to wait to finish doing things

SHSU

Thanks and I am looking forward to getting my floor redone so I can get her on the water. Temps have been really hot (100+), so I have to wait to finish doing things

Are the floors squishy? If so, have you checked the transom as well? Might as well redo it if you are going to all the effort of redoing the floor.

Just my 2 cents

SHSU

Fpscabs

Seaman Apprentice
floor has some spots that are squishy and pedestals bow the floor a bit. I am on the chubby side, so I figure, get it done now. Transom seems solid

SHSU

I used 3/4 BCX when I redid my floors. I went with the added thickness as I am on the bigger size as well and glad I did. Plus added an additional section under where the pedestals would go for extra stiffness/support. With that said, it will cause things to not align correctly since it is larger then what was installed at factory. So may have to go with the 5/8 to get every thing to fit on your cuddy.

As for the transom, check around where the U bolts and Engine bolts come through. If you are solid there then you should be good, but if mushy should definitely think about replacing.

SHSU

Fpscabs

Seaman Apprentice
Since I have access to an old closed marine shop with lots of odds and ends, I found, after I bought two sheets of 4x8 3/4" marine plywood, a 4x8 sheet of fiber-glassed 3/4 plywood(one side is smooth and the other is textured). I am leaning towards only replacing the center 4' of the floor from cuddy to fuel tank area and using epoxy resin with filler to fill-in the transition between the size.of original to the 3/4 on each side. It will be covered in carpet and I will have supports in place for the king pin hole bracket as well.

Watermann

Deck thickness is of no consequence on a Chief, the height of the cabin bulkheads can be adjusted for height as needed but 5/8" decking is a great compromise if you don't want to add additional cross supports under deck.

Fpscabs

Seaman Apprentice
Waterman I am in awe of your restoration of your Chief. I do not think I will go to such lengths as you did, but I have learned more looking at all your almost 90 pages of material. I may have many questions in the future.

Watermann

Thanks, going out today for a 50 - 60 mile cruise in the Chief.

Fpscabs

Seaman Apprentice
Been trying to get the Cuddy wall revarnished before I fix the floor. Temps here are daily triple digits. Makes putting varnish a challenge. Many 5:30am starts. I will post pics when I can

Status
Not open for further replies.