1987 Starcraft Islander 220V Rebuild

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just picked this up for $4K. It was a little more than I wanted to pay but with the outboard transom I thought $4K is at least close. I've been looking for the outboard transom on an islander for some time a while and they are rare to come up for sale. Its a mess inside but the hull looks real solid. The owner and meter says it only has 145 hours on it. Hasn't been ran in over 10 years. The Evinrude 175 is coming off and being sold so that's step 1. I have a Yamaha 150 to put on it.

This is going to be a complete rebuild and I will be posting everything here.

1. Whats the motor worth running and not running?
2. How do you decode the hull ID? STRT45041687S
3. Any project examples about how to open it up and make more room for utility in the back (move helm towards bow)?

Attachments

• photo325716.jpg
    photo325716.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • photo325717.jpg
    photo325717.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 25

jbcurt00

Staff member
Decode the hull ID? For year?

Run it thru
Www.hindecoder.com

Other then that, no decoding it...

Boat HINs arent like 1970 car VINs or VIN plate details

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice boat - congrats! I would look on Craigslist or FB marketplace for similar motors to find out what yours is worth.

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's a nice project, as a parts motor It should be worth $300-$500 min, if it has compression then more $$$. Is it the same as a V5 hull? I seen your other post asking about the V designation, just curious and cant wait to see what you do with it.

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’m not sure what the “V” means. It’s a beast I can say that. Started disassembly. It’s early but I’m pretty sure the top is coming off. And helm moved forward 3ish feet. Somehow I want less cuddy and more deck space. I’d love to see some pics of other projects. It seems the photobucket photos are blurred on many of the projects on iboats

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome to the Starmada Scott :wave:

The Islanders here have a poor record of being restored, in fact the only one I know of finished had it's cabin removed and turned into an SS open bow so I guess technically it was no longer an Islander. :lol:

I'll be honest with you, I don't really like seeing these cabin boats turned into an open style since they haven't made them in years and every conceivable open configuration was and is still made. I think the Mariner was also discontinued.

Anyway the cabin does provide structure to the boat but it can be replaced with side braces and or consoles.

The "V" designation was brought about in the mid 80's after the V5 series, it has to do with the bow angle and deadrise of the hull. I love just looking at these oldies, keep the pics coming. :thumb:

fetch

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome to the Starmada Scott :wave:

The Islanders here have a poor record of being restored, in fact the only one I know of finished had it's cabin removed and turned into an SS open bow so I guess technically it was no longer an Islander. :lol:

I'll be honest with you, I don't really like seeing these cabin boats turned into an open style since they haven't made them in years and every conceivable open configuration was and is still made. I think the Mariner was also discontinued.

Anyway the cabin does provide structure to the boat but it can be replaced with side braces and or consoles.

The "V" designation was brought about in the mid 80's after the V5 series, it has to do with the bow angle and deadrise of the hull. I love just looking at these oldies, keep the pics coming. :thumb:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"1500","width":"2000","src":"https:\/\/forums.iboats.com\/filedata\/fetch?photoid=10835999"**[/IMG2]

I am brainstorming ideas. Where would I find the center console completed project? The ones I am seeing are either not completed or the pics are blurred. Thanks

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Nice looking project

If you can get the motor up and running that is always a major plus plus cheaper then getting a new one

SHSU

Unrooly1

Seaman Apprentice
Moving the helm forward by three feet is gonna cause you grief with the cuddy side windows and will move your upper windshield so close to the cuddy windshield that I think you may end up with a goofy looking vessel with an useless cabin.
But I do appreciate projects that are modified to work better for the guy building it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Moving the helm forward by three feet is gonna cause you grief with the cuddy side windows........

To 'convert' to a center console, the cuddy's coming off, completely and permanently........

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Started the "de"struction... Hopefully, get the floor and helm out today. Might do a little motor work too. The motor hasn't been ran in over 10 years. I guess I need to drain the carbs, hook up a clean fuel tank and see what happens? I'd really just like to test compression so I can sell it

Attachments

• photo325987.jpg
    photo325987.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • photo325988.jpg
    photo325988.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • photo325989.jpg
    photo325989.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
If it has been 10 years since it has been run, may want to pull the plugs and drop some oil/seafoam or something into the cylinders. Let them "soak" and re-lubricate the walls before you try turning her over.

SHSU

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class
If it has been 10 years since it has been run, may want to pull the plugs and drop some oil/seafoam or something into the cylinders. Let them "soak" and re-lubricate the walls before you try turning her over.

SHSU

Ya....I'm gonna do that for sure!

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the top off. I'm starting to regret this. Its huge and exactly what I want but I feel like I should've started with a Supersport...Then again, when is the last time anyone saw a 22 foot supersport near NW Indiana for sale? I've never seen one. LOL.

Attachments

• photo326044.jpg
    photo326044.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 16

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I got the top off. I'm starting to regret this. Its huge and exactly what I want but I feel like I should've started with a Supersport...Then again, when is the last time anyone saw a 22 foot supersport near NW Indiana for sale? I've never seen one. LOL.

Yeah it's a massive undertaking but can be done with daily diligence and money.