Starcraft Sprint V advice

GrizzleDizzle

Seaman Apprentice
Hey folks,
I'm new to the forum, been reading up on Starcraft boats here for a while now. I’m hoping one of you experts can help me out!

I’m currently shopping around for my first boat. Started watching local Craigslist offerings last year for a boat to take my kids fishing in and immediately fell in love with Starcraft Aluminum V hulls. Was leaning towards getting a bigger jon boat...but then one day I stumbled across a couple of early 70s Sprint Vs for sale and I’ve been kind of obsessed with them since. I like that they offer a little more deck space and weight capacity than a jon boat but aren’t too big to store in my garage. and I love the way they look!

The one I really like (a 1971) has had a lot done to it by the current owner including a new transom. He also rebuilt the tilt motor And the motor (Evinrude Surf Six-O) supposedly runs great.

So my question (finally) is: understanding that there are no guarantees in life- if the hull doesn’t leak and the motor doesn’t die on me, are these Sprints pretty solid and easy to maintain? I don’t mind basic maintenance and I’m pretty handy overall, but I’m really looking for something reliable that we can enjoy without turning into a money pit.

I added some photos, any advice is very much appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• photo325204.jpg
    photo325204.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 11
  • photo325205.jpg
    photo325205.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 11
  • photo325207.jpg
    photo325207.jpg
    846.2 KB · Views: 11

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yes to all your questions......

BUT, w out proof of how the current owner rebuilt any part of it (before/after pix and receipts) dont take their word as true and accurate, nor that its a well done 'rehab'.

Lots of poorly redone 'rehabs' have been documented as needing lots of work (or rework) after a new to them purchase. Usually to extremely shocked new owners.

It is a 50yr old boat +/- after all....

Same for the rebuilt motor.

An on the water, running test of the motor at a minimum.

GrizzleDizzle

Seaman Apprentice
Great, thanks for your input!

One more question, are these boats typically stable enough to board from the water, like when swimming or skiing? Or would I need something larger to be able to do that?

thanks again!

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
I think you need to look a bit longer, and think about what you want.
And decide whether you want a vee bottom or flat bottom. From the pics I can't tell what this one is, but I suspect flat bottom. You also didn't say how long it was, or what you are thinking for length.

Here in MN, in spring, that might be a $1000 boat, in fall, maybe $500, and then it likely wouldn't sell. (The vee's are more popular here, and there are a lot of them.)

Forgot - here (in MN) now is not the time to buy, there are few if any offerings, in 2 months, to just before opening fishing, there will be hundreds offered for sale. If you want a bargain, wait till fall when folks dump them.

Last edited:

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome aboard. In general, riveted aluminum boats are pretty low maintenance. If there is an issue, you can fix it yourself if you have the time and interest. That doesn't mean you should ignore the specific boats condition or take the sellers word for it.

Do your best to understand the condition of the boat you're looking at so that you know how much work it will/may take. Floor, transom, rivets, corrosion, and rib ends are all things you'll want to check on the hull. The motor is probably more important as your boat will only be as reliable as its motor. An on water test is best as someone mentioned,but you can also test for spark and compression. There are lots more things to check than if it doesn't leak and runs. The more you know about it the easier it is to determine how much it's worth to you.

What length is it? How big are your kids and how many will you take fishing?

GrizzleDizzle

Seaman Apprentice
Welcome aboard. In general, riveted aluminum boats are pretty low maintenance. If there is an issue, you can fix it yourself if you have the time and interest. That doesn't mean you should ignore the specific boats condition or take the sellers word for it.

Do your best to understand the condition of the boat you're looking at so that you know how much work it will/may take. Floor, transom, rivets, corrosion, and rib ends are all things you'll want to check on the hull. The motor is probably more important as your boat will only be as reliable as its motor. An on water test is best as someone mentioned,but you can also test for spark and compression. There are lots more things to check than if it doesn't leak and runs. The more you know about it the easier it is to determine how much it's worth to you.

What length is it? How big are your kids and how many will you take fishing?

The boat I’m considering is 16 ft according to the seller. I have three kids, 13 / 10 / 3...at a minimum I’d like something I can use to fish with my 10yo son...and the 3 yo when he gets a little bigger. Ideally I’d also like to be able to spend a day at the lake with my wife and a few friends. Or do some tubing / swimming. My biggest limiting factors are storage space (half of a 2 car garage) and budget ~$1500 max. I’ve seen some larger SC boats for sale (super sports, open bows, etc) but they’re either in great shape and expensive or affordable because they’ve been rotting away in someone’s yard. LOL

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To a great degree we live spoiled lives these days. there's no doubt that, assuming good condition, that boat could check all of those boxes (and similar boats absolutely did in our family growing up)

With that said - the points raised regarding the current market being pretty sparse were good ones. Also I'd be cautious with that motor if it's electroshift...could be a nightmare to work on.

Old, simple boats are easy to work on. If the wood is sound, hull is sound, and the motor runs well then you can likely have a great summer. The only real money pit potential is the motor imo.

GrizzleDizzle

Seaman Apprentice
Well here we are 6 months later. Yesterday I bought a ‘72 Starcraft Supersport 16. All original, with a 65 hp Johnson. Hull is in great condition, only real issues are dry rotted seats and the deck feels like it needs to be replaced soon. It’s not exactly rotten but there’s a lot of flex in a few spots where a couple of the plywood sheets meet. No carpet currently.

my question is: is there anything I can do to just tighten up the deck until I can replace it this winter?

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Very pretty!!! I know the feeling on space limitations. Mine has to fit in a two car garage with the wife's car. Wife didn't believe me at the time it was possible, but 2 1/2 years later she/boat both fit in the garage. The car I mean... LOL Its also a blast for the little Admiral/Admiral and I to cruise/fish in.

As for the floor, the bigger concern is the transom. If the transom is still solid you, may be able to just tread "lightly" on it to get you through the summer. If the transom is bad....

Either way, looks like a fun time for you and the family.

SHSU

GrizzleDizzle

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks! I love it. The transom feels rock solid, but I suppose I should plan on replacing it this winter when I replace the floor?

As for the floor, it almost seems like some of the rivets may have come loose...would it hurt anything if I used a couple of screws just to tighten it up for now? Or should I only be using rivets?

SHSU

Check around the bolt holes, knee brace, and scupper ports. Those are the areas that fail first.

As for redoing the transom, if you are already going through the trouble of removing everything else, why not add the one extra step. That way you won't be worrying about it in the future.

For the floor, I think you should be fine to get you through summer with SS screws, just remember that it is very temporary and when you do the rebuild, screws aren't the fastening method of choice.

SHSU

GrizzleDizzle

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks again!
I ended up using some plywood I had in the garage. Ran it up the center aisle from the stern to the bow and fastened it to the deck using SS screws. Worked like a charm and I didn’t need to put any new holes in the stringers. 😎
Looking forward to tearing everything out this winter and doing it right. And after giving everything a good going-over I can see I’m going to need to replace all the wiring too. Should be a good learning experience.

Attachments

• photo336354.jpg
    photo336354.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 5
  • photo336355.jpg
    photo336355.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 5

SHSU

Have a fun and safe summer.

See ya when you start your rebuild!!

SHSU

GrizzleDizzle

Seaman Apprentice
I was looking at your SS rebuild, amazing work. Wish I had the energy and skill to pull that off!

Thanks again for the advice, I’m sure I’ll be starting a new post when I start my project, incredible resource this site!