76 Starcraft SS 22ft

Mkline85

Seaman
Been looking through the forums for a while now decided to pull the trigger. Drove 6 hour to pick this bad boy up for $1400. Planning on using it for a big water hunting/fishing boat. Looks like it will need a new floor and transom.

Attachments

• photo324757.jpg
    photo324757.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 8

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome and congrats on the new boat! The hull looks great. Is that a tower of power on the back? Any plans for it besides floor and transom?

Mkline85

Seaman
It's a 82 merc 115, I'm looking for a more open layout (more room for guys and duck decoys). But I plan to repower with a newer 115 reduce the depth of the splash well, add under deck fuel tank. Going to work on getting the motor off today, PO says that it runs I will eventually test that and sell it.

Mkline85

Seaman
I really want to create as much space as possible inside the boat. I'm thinking if a can remove the splashwell (almost 36" deep)I can increase the height of the transom, and use a setback bracket to achieve necessary clearance for tilt on the motor. Havent really seen to much of that in the restore threads. Any ideas if this would work?

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
There are some examples of guys shortening the splashwell or even adding a outboard bracket. Its possible but you have to reinforce the transom, as the large splashwell ties the transom into the sides and provides some structural support.

I've not seen the Porta Bracket used on a Starcraft yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70f3-tDXfo4

But bolt on aluminum or fiberglass brackets like an Armstrong Bracket have been done, all these methods are a bit pricey.

But I'll be following along as I'm thinking of doing something similar to an Islander with an I/O.

See Alipinski397 build where he converted an I/O to an outboard bracket- also nominated for this years SOTY https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa...-1976-22-starcraft-islander-rebuild-chapter-2

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard Mkline85 :wave:

The big SS in 22' is tough to find, even more rare in OB. You'll be better served to re-power up some over a 115, that's what I'm running on my 18' V5 SS. My 22' Islander is rated at 240 so should be your SS. I'm looking for a 200 to 225 for the Islander.

Adding a pod to the back is not something many guys do, if you ask me, lots can go wrong to where it just doesn't run right no matter what. My Islander has a 25" transom for an XL shaft motor, I'm assuming yours is 20" with that Merc so there's another idea, you can raise the transom height 5" and go with an XL shaft motor.

The 80s Merc 115 TOP has a large following in the small speedboat world so don't just give it away if you know what I mean. :D

Mkline85

Seaman
Managed to get the motor off, carpet out and the rats nest that was electrical out. I'll work on getting more pictures of the boat. I know you guys like pictures.

Attachments

• photo324808.jpg
    photo324808.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • photo324809.jpg
    photo324809.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 19
  • photo324810.jpg
    photo324810.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

Mkline85

Seaman
Watermann,

I was super pumped when I found this boat, on facebook market place surprisingly. Its rated for a 150 according to the placard, and after reading thourgh the threads I feel 115 will be suitable. Ive got a local boat builder ( my intial plans for my own boat) that said he could fab a bracket up for me between 500 & 800. Really I just have to worry about transom support. Im putting som thought into that. Im also trying to figure how to better balance the boat since the motor will be back almost 30" inches further. I pland on having an under deck fuel tank, so i could probably move that towards the bow to counter som fo the weight. I plan to try to get the console and floor out on wednesday and thursday this week. Im in Wisconsin so weather dictates my schedule. My garage isnt quit big enough to fit the whole boat and close the door.

Mkline85

Seaman
Still bouncing the idea around of the setback bracket, to better support the transom what if I added cross support along the inside of the transom that were riveted to the sides of the boat, do you think this would add back the support that I would lose by removing the splash well?

Attachments

• photo324858.jpg
    photo324858.jpg
    869.1 KB · Views: 1

Mkline85

Seaman
A local guy can make a bracket like pictured that I could bolt on.

Attachments

• photo324859.jpg
    photo324859.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 2

Watermann

The years of the half acre splashwell with hardly any transom, I'll never understand why SC did this style but most guys with these year models as do you, want to change the splashwell design or go pod.

fetch

Watermann

Still bouncing the idea around of the setback bracket, to better support the transom what if I added cross support along the inside of the transom that were riveted to the sides of the boat, do you think this would add back the support that I would lose by removing the splash well?

I have some thoughts for you.

There needs to be space for the batteries and wiring when using a pod and creating a place for everything can also double as support. If the wiring and batteries are exposed it'll be a place for your buddies to trample and trip over.

The forces on an OB on transom are push pull as you can see by the knee brace designs. How many knee braces does your 22'r have now?

The next issue is stern area, it relies on the SW for structure to tie in the transom and sides of the hull. Although this doesn't need to be anything crazy, an IO model has no SW, it has a transom cover is all that ties together the transom and sides. My IO Chief, this is what ties it together with an 800 Lb V6 in the back.

y4mLJRugrPp4yPgixHmfdl4XDnrYYybwKS0xBxA__ti34bH1K5xUDdD3MpJ-CoRg_rEVUDNzZ2tks7k0JH6XUfjWXmSxTDhdY5vpr6eHJmU08l4qA31joijXPcm7lgwPbVxzg9a5iD1-oHX2vFysYlXM__xWTN_2SBj3PhogEfssFHMWueu065g_ALBSvevNWli1Tc0-q0dqzhLyHL3wl8WCw

Mkline85

Seaman
I was toying with the though of having the batteries near the bow to help counter the weight of the motor being almost 30 inches off the stern of the boat. Also want to have a below deck fuel tank. I could still fabricate a structure to create that support of the transom. I spent my first day pulling motor and other odds n ends, but plan to star getting the consoles and floor out this week I will get a better looks at the knee then. The way the splashwell is now it attaches along the transom to the gunwales then back along the gunwales for 36 inches. I've got to imagine I can provide similar support without compromising so much space.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If there was ever a boat that should have come with a factory bracket, this is it.

With the tall transom wings, the splashwell holds it all together as WM said. What ever you do has to keep those wings from flexing.

I would think about reworking the transom into a more IO look so the plywood fits from side to side, weld filler AL to close the big U. Add outboard knee braces and cover the top with a gunnel to gunnel panel like WM's Chief and sliding doors or a curtain to cover batteries, knee braces, etc.

My thoughts anyway. Welcome to the Starmada, mkline, We'll help spend your money! :smile:

Watermann

Yes a solid IO type full transom with new AL skin welded to make full coverage. The transom cover can be 1.5' and similar to the pic above and with the existing knee braces you'll be good to go.

Yeah for sure put any aux batteries in the bow but you want the starting battery as close as you can get to the motor or the amp drop will be so much as to not start new motors that require a certain rpm crank speed in order to fire.

You'll be better served with a belly tank mid ship because the thing with fuel is the weight is never the same depending on amount so your boat will always handle differently if the tank is more toward the bow.

Mkline85

Seaman
Well, its 8 degrees out this morning hoping to get out this afternoon to start taking out the floor and consoles.

HypnoCraft

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Nice project, it looks to be in great shape! I believe we have the same hull. it looks the exact same as mine. Mine is not nearly as nice as yours though haha. I will be sure to check in on this one!

Mkline85

Seaman
Got the side panels off, and started working on the consoles yesterday afternoon. Looks like the PO layed new decking of the old. The real pain is he used flathead screws to tie everything together. For whatever reason I hat flat head screws,such a pain. I'll work on consoles and first deck this afternoon.

Attachments

• photo324903.jpg
    photo324903.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • photo324904.jpg
    photo324904.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
"Redecking" is a shortcut used by too many and not a way to not fix her.

Was top redeck under the side panel "Z" supports? If so the side panels may not be as tall as they should be when new decking is laid down. One of my POs did the same kind of redeck and trimmed the side panels to fit. They didn't fit without the double decking.