84 Starcraft Islander 191 stringers

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
1984 Starcraft Islander 191 engine stringer material

Sorry no pics yet due to this is my first post but I am in the process of restoring an 84 Starcraft Islander. I have just finished taking all the rotten plywood out of the engine stringers (aluminum stringers filled with plywood) and am not sure what I should replace it with. I would love to use some composite like $$$coosa so I never have to worry about it or could I get away with composite decking? I know the decking is not rigid but could it work? I plan on doing an outboard conversion and would have transom braces running to the two stringers. Thanks for any thoughts!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

I don't think you need to fill the stringers. The wood was for motor mount support and that won't be needed for knee braces.

Maybe others have different thoughts.

We have very active Starcraft section and that's a good place to document your project and ask for help. Click the Starcraft link in my sig below.

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks you for your help. I will check out the Starcraft section!!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
And composite decking is not recommended whereas is has no structural strength.

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
I finished pulling out the rotten plywood in the engine stringers and am wondering if I need to fill them back in with something if I am converting to an outboard. I will just have some knee braces going to them?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah the old IO motor mounts are just for motor support and provide nothing structural. Although if it was a V6 and has 2 that are riveted to the bottom they would make for great bases for the new knee braces.

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
It had a 2.5 in it with the 2 big stringers and yes I was planning on using them for the knee braces, they seem perfect for it!!

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
[No message]

Attachments

• photo324112.jpg
    photo324112.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 14

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Go for it, Croge. The knee braces will tie nicely to the motor mount support sand again, you don't need to fill them with wood unless it gives you a warm fuzzy.

You have the factory chine braces, too. That's a good, strong hull.

Watermann

Be sure to get all that corrosion off the inside transom skin, (brown/white gunk) fill pitting, prime and paint so it never happens again.

fetch

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
Any suggestions on a good aluminum cleaner? I cleaned most of the rivets and applied gluvit. I am going to leave all the glue that’s stuck on the sides cause I will just cover anyways.

Attachments

• photo324118.jpg
    photo324118.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 2

Watermann

I've used fine wire wheels to clean off the corrosion and cleaning vinegar to help neutralize it.

Croge

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks I’ve been using a wire wheel so I will stick with it and try the vinegar. Man The gas tank cradle pieces r a mess I was hoping for an easy solution but I guess just elbow grease.

Attachments

• photo324135.jpg
    photo324135.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 4

Watermann

Yeah the torn down stage with clean up and repairs always take the most time in the process. Very un-glamorous work for sure.