Kingfisher 16 repower - questions

Spartans

Seaman
Kingfisher owners:

I am considering repowering my kingfisher 16 with something a little bigger with power trim and tilt I know the max hp on this boat is 50 hp. Right now there is a 25 which weighs roughly 110 lbs. if I go up to a 40 that would add about 70 lbs or so to the back based on my research. (4 stroke even more)

does anyone have any practical experience with placing higher hp motors on these kingfishers? Interested in the general handling aspects and specifically how low it sits in the water with regards to the back with the increased weight . These boats have no splashwell

I was thinking of launching boat and adding 80 lbs or so in the back to see how it sits but I then realize it’s January

thanks

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a side console 14' Kingfisher with a 2 stroke 40HP Johnson on it, I really didn't think it was an issue. It was actually my first boat so I didn't know any better, but it seemed fine and I never thought it was tail heavy. I had a bow mount MInnkota and a group size 27 battery in the bow, may have offset some of the motor weight.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Kingfisher owners:

I am considering repowering my kingfisher 16 with something a little bigger with power trim and tilt I know the max hp on this boat is 50 hp. Right now there is a 25 which weighs roughly 110 lbs. if I go up to a 40 that would add about 70 lbs or so to the back based on my research. (4 stroke even more)

does anyone have any practical experience with placing higher hp motors on these kingfishers? Interested in the general handling aspects and specifically how low it sits in the water with regards to the back with the increased weight . These boats have no splashwell

I was thinking of launching boat and adding 80 lbs or so in the back to see how it sits but I then realize it’s January

thanks

The KF is rated for 50, so go on up to 50 if you can. No worries! If it sits low once launched, just rearrange things up front to keep it in balance. But your power trim is going to help a lot anyway. :joyous:

Spartans

Seaman
Yeah I’m torn between a 40 or a 50 in reality they are very similar in weight based on my research.

how does your KF sit with your 50 on it? Any concerns ?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Yeah I’m torn between a 40 or a 50 in reality they are very similar in weight based on my research.

how does your KF sit with your 50 on it? Any concerns ?
It's not on the water yet. Sigh. :rolleyes:

Coming up on three years since I began the full restoration. Almost done.

I'm not concerned with it sitting badly though. It was designed for the 50. :cool: